Grab Pillars of Might, drop 4pc

I'm considering dropping the 4pc and getting Pillars of Might instead of my current T10 pants. I use Cataclysmic Chestguard for my non-tier piece.

I would get the T10 Chest for the 4PC, but dropping both T10 pants and Cata Chestguard would leave me with 5 expertise, which would be terrible for DW'ing. But I really like the Pillars (I stack the shit out of armor.) So I'm considering dropping the 4pc bonus.

I've found the 4pc somewhat useful on the LK and some hard modes, but it's really not a gamebreaker. Hell, the bonus armor from Pillars probably matches the damage reduced from the 4pc over the course of a fight.

Any fellow veteran DK tanks want to weigh on? Appreciated ;D

Re: Grab Pillars of Might, drop 4pc

Personally, the 4pc bonus isn't exactly the sexiest thing, it's helpful but situational. You'd probably gain alot more stam from the legs, but, judge this upgrade by your expertise, not your stam. If you have more than say... I'll be generous and say 26 expertise, do it. If you're under that, then do not.

Posting an armory would be very helpful.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...moon&cn=Vodamn

In my Blood spec right now, I usually tank most fights as Frost.

Expertise isn't a problem as Blood, I can throw on Ramaldni's if I need it. (Hell, I might grab the T10 chest for the 4pc simply to use as Blood.)

However, I don't like having low expertise as Frost. Dropping pants would put me at 16 exp, which I could live with. I could dual wield axes which would put me at 21 exp, which I could live with.

However, the real choice I'm contemplating is the 4pc bonus vs. the survivability advantage of Pillars of Might.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by omnipot
    To the OP, I used to be a blood DPS myself and had a lot of the same questions/experiences you are having. Here's the decision I initially came to.

I switched to Unholy. lol

In cataclysm, Arp is going away as is Blood DPS. Strength will be your primary stat for AP. Unholy also out DPS's Blood in the current patch anyway.

To address your initial question, Strength will give you more of a DPS increase than Arp. As noted by previous posters, the difference is small (as you demonstrated in your illustration) , but it will out perform Arp stacking until very high levels.
    This is not about blood dps =)

To the OP, I used to be a blood DPS myself and had a lot of the same questions/experiences you are having. Here's the decision I initially came to.

In cataclysm, Arp is going away as is Blood DPS. Strength will be your primary stat for AP. Unholy also out DPS's Blood in the current patch anyway.

To address your initial question, Strength will give you more of a DPS increase than Arp. As noted by previous posters, the difference is small (as you demonstrated in your illustration) , but it will out perform Arp stacking until very high levels.

is this fake life? i thuoght the OP was asking questions about blood tanking?

i think the 4pc is pretty useful for LK HM because u can line up blood tap with some of his devastating abilities, and I thuogh will of the necropolis was awesome for LK HM too? ever try tankin that ifght in blood as opposed to frost

/facepalm

Just gonna through in my 2 cents to the OP. In my experience as a tank (DK and Pally) I tend to pick up every piece of gear that I can. Pillars of Might are BiS till i277 tier pants. I am at about the same gear level as you. I have held off getting them due to this was my alt and did not want to spend the Primortials on it.

However, I will be picking up both the Tier Chest and the PoM.

Also, you might want to wait until you get the Grinning Skull Greatboots before making the switch.

EDIT: As DW Frost I tend to use BT and UBA at the same time. It almost a 30% DMG Reduction on physical hits. My personal opinion is to try and keep it if you can.
    I don't heal STUPID, Stupid SHOULD HURT!
    Syntyche - Disc Priest

Well, I ran some rough numbers.

According to wowwiki, the armor cap vs a lvl 83 mob is 49905.
    On your armory, you have 23649 armor. Add 1190 for switching to pillars of might plus frost presence.

23649+1190=24884
    24884(0.6)+24884= 39814.4
    Then you pop UA 39814.4(.25) + 39814.4 = 49768

For frost tanking, this pretty much puts you right at the armor cap and this is unbuffed (and not taking into account armor from agility you would get from your 1 handers). You would be over with raid buffs. So your losing some of the benifit of the extra armor on Pillars of Might. Either way, Pillars of Might is the most effective health in a single piece of tanking pants, but the benifits of taking Pillars of Might instead of the 4pc bonus for frost tanking is alot lower.

For blood, I would say Pillars of Might wins unless your need to rotate in an extra cd for LK, even then I would still feel inclined to use Pillars of Might with the tier chest. I know you will lose alot of expertise if you drop the chest + pants, but I noticed that you tend to match your red sockets so you could always just switch those to expertise/stam gems. You will be fine with expertise as blood since you mentioned that you can always switch in Ramaldni's (and your an orc). You could also shoot for the boots from dreamwalker 25 (and if you need hit with this switch, you could always throw on the ol' ashen verdict ring).

Also, you might want to wait until you get the Grinning Skull Greatboots before making the switch.
    Those are the ones

Yeah, I haven't been able to get the expertise boots but they would surely help.

I think I'll grab the pillars, use 4pc for blood and skip the 4pc for expertise as Frost. ;D Thanks for the feedback guys.

15+ Year Old Account

I'd suggest getting the Pillars of Might + the 264 EoF gloves.

4T10 isn't all that great aside from a few hardmodes, and since you will still have the pants in your inventory, you'd still be able to have the bonus when necessary.
    If however you are one of the guys who literally chains cd after cd, then the Tier pants might be worth it.

The Cataclysmic chestguard is also BiS until 277 loot btw.