Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Re: Cataclysm Badge and PvP Point Changes Update

I wonder why ppl QQ about Blizz turning their PvP weps back in the way of BC, I didnt see any QQ back then about casuals getting easy gear. But ofc alot whiners didnt play in BC

I agree.. this is hardly an update, but a nice change nonetheless. Wai2compromise Blizz.

I can't even begin to say how much my excitement for cataclysm keeps rising.

Goodbye competitive PvP.

Blizz just owned some QQ right there nice lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bron
    Goodbye competitive PvP.
    Giving more people access to better weapons can only increase the competitiveness, surely?

Quote Originally Posted by Bron
    Goodbye competitive PvP.
    : It's the player not the gear.

: at self for saying something so cheesy.

Did they NOT just say that they were removing personal ratings? And didn't they SPECIFICALLY state that weapons would not require a rating?

I'm not sure what I think of this personally, but I thought that Conquest Points were supposed to be the 'gate' for casuals? The hard core PvPer's would be able to gear up quickly, while the people who just do it for fun would be much slower. The end results would be the same, you'd eventually be able to get the best gear if you tried, and without needing to do something you didn't want to do.

Bad communication is bad. I get the feeling one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Doylez
    good compromise I think both casuals and hardcore gamers should be able to live with that
    You give the community WAY too much credit.

QQ will be equal from both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by palladiamors
    Did they NOT just say that they were removing personal ratings? And didn't they SPECIFICALLY state that weapons would not require a rating?
    I believe they meant with no personal ratings on weapons, that there will be some weapons available without ratings at the start. Unlike this expansion, where you had to raid to get weapons to start pvp.

Yeah, so for a moment I was hoping the focus of PvP would be on the competition rather than the gear in this expansion. Sad to be mistaken.
    This is my signature. You will now remember me.

Quote Originally Posted by djsjr
    T1 costs no rating, the T2 wep does.
    He wasn't asking an actual question. He was posing a hypothetical to prove a point.

Quote Originally Posted by Drawz
    Yeah, so for a moment I was hoping the focus of PvP would be on the competition rather than the gear in this expansion. Sad to be mistaken.
    lol?

You essentially get 95% of the gear WITHOUT requiring a rating.

It is ONLY the very very top end pvp weapons that require rating, equivalent to doing hardmode PvE.

Imo there should atleast be e-peen rating on shoulders too. It's the most "noticable" armorpiece and to have 1 tier lower shoulders and 4/5 current tier + t1 wep won't make enough difference for gear to overshadow skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikkatsu
    lol?

You essentially get 95% of the gear WITHOUT requiring a rating.

It is ONLY the very very top end pvp weapons that require rating, equivalent to doing hardmode PvE.
    It's hypocrisy to attempt to "balance" PvP while letting some people have better gear than others, because balanced PvP innately requires equal levels of gear. Do you think anyone IRL would get away with claiming to want a fair boxing match while giving one of the guys prank boxing gloves and the other brass knuckles? The same pretty much applies here. Superior gear should NOT be what makes good players stand out in a competitive PvP environment, and I thought Blizzard had come to realise this.

You are right in the sense that it's thankfully only the weapon, though. I just hope the iLevel difference won't be as significant as it's been in WotLK.

15+ Year Old Account

Great idea. Even if casuals get almost similar gear to hardcore player skill will always make a difference in pvp and decide who is in top .5% got arena and if they have it for bg.

Quite a good change, but I think they should add rating requirement to shoulders too, because they usually look badass :P

When I talk about belief, why do you always assume I'm talking about God ?

Quote Originally Posted by nucz0r
    Quite a good change, but I think they should add rating requirement to shoulders too, because they usually look badass :P
    A guy in a top 100 guild worrying about epeen rather than balanced gameplay? New and exciting :

Quote Originally Posted by Drawz
    It's hypocrisy to attempt to "balance" PvP while letting some people have better gear than others, because balanced PvP innately requires equal levels of gear. Do you think anyone IRL would get away with claiming to want a fair boxing match while giving one of the guys prank boxing gloves and the other brass knuckles? The same pretty much applies here. Superior gear should NOT be what makes good players stand out in a competitive PvP environment, and I thought Blizzard had come to realise this.

You are right in the sense that it's thankfully only the weapon, though. I just hope the iLevel difference won't be as significant as it's been in WotLK.
    They are going back to TBC Arena.

It won't be as ridiculous as WoTLK.

-edit- You DO realise its only HIGH END weapons right? Most PvP weapons will not have a rating requirement.

If someone was able to get to 2200 (example) for the rating required for the weapon... then they have already shown they have the skill and therefore deserve the weapoin.

This is another example of Blizzard having HUGE! oversight issues over their own game.

Day one:

Blizz: We remove rating for pvp items, because with rated bg ratings would be arbitrary and we didn't like how people felt they couldn't advance in PVP because of the ratings blocking them.

Casuals: Hooray!! Finally on equal grounds with those elitist arena heroes.

Elitist: QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ My e-peen is shrinking QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ

Day two:

Blizz: Because we cave in to massive QQ heroic T2 PVP weapons will now need rating.

----------------------------------------

So if the elitist QQ some more by day 3 or 4 things will be exactly as in WOTLK.

And Blizz says they don't cave in to QQ, lol less than 24 hours blizz!!! Less than 24 hours and you allready cave in to QQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikkatsu
    The difference being that when you do PvE hardmode, you fight PvE hardmode bosses every time. The same is not true of PvP.

People with top-end, rated PvP gear will occasionally be pitted against people with the lower-end, unrated PvE gear, and it confers an inherent advantage. This advantage becomes more pronounced at the advent of a new season. With everyone's rating wiped and matches arranged essentially at random, people with the full set of rated gear from the previous season will plow through everyone else and skyrocket right back up to their previous rating. It's the equivalent of doing regular PvE encounters in hardmode gear.

The end result is that the poor stay poor and the rich get richer. Those without the rated gear must continually break their fangs against the armor of those with the rated, grinding losses until they can acquire the rated themselves and compete on equal footing where class, team composition, and player skill are the only things that matter, which is what PvP is supposed to be about anyways.

It's a vicious cycle, and a completely pointless one at that. The only thing their "change" is doing is making it easier to be one season behind.