Alterac Valley. Stone hearth GY?

Here's my thoughts on four situations.

Horde have snowfall, horde have stonehearth. Allies ress up north. Leads to a slow, annoying, victory

Horde have snowfall, allies have stonehearth. You can get past them, but they can defend their bunkers REALLY easily, and prevent you from capping them for the whole match, if they want - until they win. If they play well.

Allies have snowfall, horde have stonehearth. Allies ress behind horde. Horde can cap bunkers easily.

Allies have snowfall, allies have stonehearth. You have a bit of a run, but can get to their bunkers and north fairly easily. Allies won't be in your way as much.

Looking at these, it just seems to me, that if you leave allies to get snowfall, it leads to a better battleground.
    If you then take stonehearth, thats even better.

Also, with regards to iceblood, snowfall, stonehearth, its basically a triangle between the graveyards. Snowfall is just as far away from both, as they are from eachother. That means its equally hard to attack SH from SF as it is from IB, but easier for allies to defend SH if they have that.

So, why the hell does everybody go SH BAD SH BAD? More importantly, why do the other 39 people in a battleground all seem incapable of acknowledging REASON when i point this out, or able to give reasons of their own, and just go SH BAD HS BAD? Its like they're brainwashed or something.

Really. Enlighten me here. Where's the catch I'm missing, if there is one? As far as I see, it ought to be "SF BAD, SF BAD", and then capping SH. And allies end up behind you, and its easier for you to 1. cap those bunkers and 2. head on north.

On another note, ain't it pretty bad that SF 1. moves you away from your base, 2. doesn't put you closer, realistically, to the others? It just strikes me as being something that is bad to cap. Why have it there, blizzard? :<

Deleted

Re: Alterac Valley. Stone hearth GY?

On most german realms, leaving snowfall to the alliance and capping stonehearth is the basic AV strat. However, this hasn't been like this on any english realm I've been to.

Guess germans are better at strategy :P

Quote Originally Posted by Treeston
    On most german realms, leaving snowfall to the alliance and capping stonehearth is the basic AV strat. However, this hasn't been like this on any english realm I've been to.

Guess germans are better at strategy :P
    Guess they did learn something from those World Wars....

I play on a german realm and I don't think I have lost a game in which horde held stoneheart and snowfall, but oh sooo many games where the horde only held stoneheart and not snowfall.
    So, everytime the horde defends and taps snowfall as well I am a happy moonkin that can laser things to death and a win soon after that instead of hoping that it somehow works out.

But I don't think there ever was a game, I was in, where people didn't want to tap stoneheart or said it was bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Parynziux
    So, you are clearly the biggest nerf to your class. Hush.

Deleted

Spanish-man there, Cruelty servers.
    Snowfall is BAD, Stonehearth is a must. Always doing that.

*shakefist*

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by DaLeetPawner
    Guess they did learn something from those World Wars....

If you cap snowfall prepare to get flamed. Nothing new here.

Well, thats new to our battlegroup. Everyone is all NO SH NO SH SH BAD and unable to give reasoning behind it, and seem to go "lol.. u noob... fckng retrad..." at any reasoning I give. Half the people think SF is good. Maybe one other person than me thinks its bad. The rest don't care.

I envy you guys, I really do. I lose faith in the capabilities of common sense and reasoning in human beings, playing AV on my server.

Well, usually capping SH GY forces an Alliance turtle. Back before AV was resource driving it would create a very long AV - a couple hours sometimes. It's not as bad now and capping bunkers is crucial to any victory (also a nice chunk of honor). So capping SH GY isn't bad if Alliance have another GY south. It's all about the timing on GYs. If your team is dominating the game, it all becomes a moot point as you can roll over them.

I agree that capping SH is important for capping bunkers, but if Alliance have no other GYs in the south, you'll just force a turtle at IW or SP GY. If you don't have enough Horde to push them back, you'll never cap the bunkers anyway.

Keep your eye on the mini map and if capping SH GY forces the Alliance to rez in front of the main Horde force, then expect a few nerdrage rants in BGChat.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Horde always lets us have it on my server, we win pretty frequently in my alt's bracket (71-79). Going to punch someone in the dick the next time I hear someone say "All in on Drek!!!!!" and we don't have the towers down yet.
    Quote from: Thallidomaniac on March 28, 2010, 05:56:24 am
    Our characters are wearing the same pair of underwear, since like, Level 1. Damn that's unsanitary as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Lixi
    Well, usually capping SH GY forces an Alliance turtle. Back before AV was resource driving it would create a very long AV - a couple hours sometimes. It's not as bad now and capping bunkers is crucial to any victory (also a nice chunk of honor). So capping SH GY isn't bad if Alliance have another GY south. It's all about the timing on GYs. If your team is dominating the game, it all becomes a moot point as you can roll over them.

I agree that capping SH is important for capping bunkers, but if Alliance have no other GYs in the south, you'll just force a turtle at IW or SP GY. If you don't have enough Horde to push them back, you'll never cap the bunkers anyway.

Keep your eye on the mini map and if capping SH GY forces the Alliance to rez in front of the main Horde force, then expect a few nerdrage rants in BGChat.
    Thats the thing, isn't it more about leaving SF to allies, than leaving SH to allies? Yet everyone in the battlegroup seems to not care about SF, and think SH is ALWAYS bad..
    *twitch*
    QQ

Quote Originally Posted by wasniahC
    Thats the thing, isn't it more about leaving SF to allies, than leaving SH to allies? Yet everyone in the battlegroup seems to not care about SF, and think SH is ALWAYS bad..
    *twitch*
    QQ
    Well yes it is, and that's why if you don't have SH GY it would be best to fight for SH GY. But sometimes, the 30 other people playing are running around not playing the game, so capping ANY GY in the north can help begin to move things forward... even capping SF. Yep, SF tends to be more Alliance just because it's on their way to Galv. Capping SF later as the game moves on is sometimes beneficial.

All depends on the flow of the game, imo.

I think most are still hung up from the old days of 2-3 hour AV turtles on capping SH GY. So some players just yell out what other's have yelled out from the past.

Capping and destroying bunkers is a huge part of winning. Even if you lose, you get the bonus honor for destroying them and Alliance players don't. That, in and of itself, is a good reason to destroy bunkers and having SH GY prevents easy defense by the Alliance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lixi

I think most are still hung up from the old days of 2-3 hour AV turtles on capping SH GY. So some players just yell out what other's have yelled out from the past.
    Sadly I think that sums it up. "Someone else yelled it out first, it must be true" ;p

Basically Alliance start out with SHGY and Horde with IBGY, Snowfall remains neutral. What is supposed to happen is Horde go after bel, alli after galv, horde cap shgy, alli cap ibgy......and those are our first offensive gys to spawn our troops. Snowfall is neutral, but usually alliance caps it on the way to galv and its our failsafe should we have problems with ibgy.

Turtles occur when someone on alliance side recaps SHGY from the horde.....this gives horde no offensive spawn, and if they die all go back to home base. They in turn will try to go back on offense, and recap towers/gy on the way causing the alliance to spawn back in our home base. Alliance turtles cause there too dumb to use mounts and run back to offense, and you get your 40 min avs.

The best way to not turtle is make sure each side gets an offensive gy....horde at shgy and alli at ibgy. You can mess with each others towers, but never gys.

I as a Alliance will always swoop behind the Horde who are tunnel-visioning to the Alliance Keep and Cap the Towers and Graveyard behind them. I won so many games for the Alliance by simply doing this.

The Horde who are actually Guarding the Towers are usually few and very undergeared so it's rather easy to kill them, also most of the time I am also not alone when it comes to capturing.

By the time the Horde make it to the Alliance Keep there are usually enough defenders who died and respawned at the last Graveyard to simply Wipe the Horde who then respawn at the Horde Cave. The Alliance already capped the Horde Keeps GY at this time.