DW Frost Tank Spec

Alright, So i hit 80 2 days ago and I'm curious if I'm doing anything wrong. I've got all my gear going nicely and am 20 points off of the defense cap. Is my tanking spec incorrect or does anyone have any advice?

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-t...cn=Zee&group=2

My glyphs are: Howling Blast, Frost Strike, and I'm going to switch Obliterate for Rune Strike.

Re: DW Frost Tank Spec

Stickies -- read them.
    \o\ \o> \o/ <o/ /o/
    Quote Originally Posted by Falric
    This pear... so delicious...
    Quote Originally Posted by Blizzro
    Ugh, do they have English/American call centres or are they Indian?
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Twisting+Nether&cn=Gravion

Oh my fault. I only read the first part. >.<

imo take the points from scent of blood, bladed armor, chill of the grave, and imp frost pres and get icy talons as well as improved icy talons since thats the only real benefit of frost over blood for tanking....also you need SLOW dps weps for frost, yes i know youre tanking, but frost needs slow weps no matter what.

Mmmm thanks for responding.
    Yeah i know. But these are the first defense weapons at this low of a level so i need to get my def cap first right?

Quote Originally Posted by Zee
    Mmmm thanks for responding.
    Yeah i know. But these are the first defense weapons at this low of a level so i need to get my def cap first right?
    well there are no slow defense weapons so basically frost tanking you'll use to slow DPS weapons and runeforge them with each with nerubian carapace for 26DEF.

runeforging turns ur weapons into "defense" weapons so might as well get slower ones for higher threat and damage.

If you have the gold (or the skill to make it) get the ulduar recipe tank boots and belt.

Your only real "mistake" is that you need 535 to run heroics and not get critted, aka "def cap for heroics".

If you swap in a +20 def gem for a +30 stam gem, you'll be all set for heroics (at least as far as defense goes).

More suggestions:

buy or make the 245 ToC pattern tank bracer.

Buy or make the 245 ToC pattern tank BP.

Buy or make the JC tank ring and neck.

If you're below the "def cap", gem defense to 535. Then as you gear up, get to 540 as quickly as you can. Once you hit 540, focus on stamina.

Stamina is great, but if you're not def capped, you're not being a good tank to your group.

10+ Year Old Account

I'd say drop Morbidity, D&D won't be ready for each pack with or without, so it's not much of an improvement. HB (esp glyphed) is better for your threat anyway. Put those points into Bladed Armor instead (4/5 BA that way).

You don't need CotG AND SoB, so drop a point from SoB, and max out Bladed Armor, or drop two from CotG, and get 5/5 BA + 2/3 SoB.

Also get the pestilence minor glyph, it's a very good one, even if it doesn't seem to be so.

As for the gear: get two slow weapons as soon as you reach the def cap without tank weapons. Other than that, you seem to be on the right track.

Regarding Imp. Icy Talons: getting that is certainly an option, and most melee dpsers in your heroics would love you for it. It's also a very fun talent. If you want to play with that, I would suggest a build like this: http://www.wowhead.com/talent#j0ebZh...fuzAo0g:TaZmMV (third major can be Frost Strike or Rune Strike, whichever you prefer. Personally, I love rune strike, and 10% more crit on it is awesome. But then, I'm not using the HB glyph, so I have both =).

I'd disagree with dropping morbidity.

unless you're already a very skilled tank, it's very nice to have a DnD ready more often.

Personally for DW Frost AE-type tanking (heroics, trash) I have borrowed a spec from Ol Frosty on EJ which I think is rather good:

8/52/11

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#j0tbZu...Ao0xhbz:oRTMVm

10+ Year Old Account

You're placing D&D once / pack pull. That 15 sec is maybe one pack w/o D&D at the start... not much. HB will glue a pack to you anyway (esp when glyphed) until you're ready to build more threat on them, so there really is not much point in speccing morbidity as a frost tank.

My main problem with your advice is that you're talking about someone who said they hit 80 two days ago.

If they're running heroics they're going to be doing it with knee-jerk AE dpers who won't wait 2 seconds to jump in full bore with 4k+ dps if not higher.

Morbidity is not just about the refresh, it's also more AE damage and therefore more AE threat.

When you're new and learning and undergeared, you need all the help you can get.

It's similar to trash tanking higher content when you have dps pulling 10, 15, 20k+ dps on trash.

10+ Year Old Account

D&D won't help against the knee-jerk AoEers. They will pull off before D&D ticks twice. HB glyphed helps tons more, and boosting HB (via Bladed Armor, for example) nets you more AoE threat than what you gain from morbidity.

When you're new and learning, HB glyphed is all the help you will ever need. You shouldn't rely on D&D, since it has a long CD even with Morbidity. Better learn to pull and tank properly even when it's on CD, because in heroics, it WILL be on CD on every second pack, and the party will not wait for your D&D CD.

Quote Originally Posted by mhp
    D&D won't help against the knee-jerk AoEers. They will pull off before D&D ticks twice. HB glyphed helps tons more, and boosting HB (via Bladed Armor, for example) nets you more AoE threat than what you gain from morbidity.
    Yeah I understand what you mean. I've tanked every heroic including HoR and luckily I havent found anyone pulling the DPS my mage pulls thankfully. I had no idea that HB was increased with Bladed Armor. Ill be sure to use that then. Much appreciated.

And thank you all for the brilliant responses. I never wouldve thought of any of this I've been a strictly, almost religious, DPS'er for the good part of 3 years and never dared touch tanking.

When combining everyone's advice I decided Ill test out: http://www.wowhead.com/talent#j0voZh...fuzAo0g:TadmMV (spec and glyphs) and see how it goes. Much appreciated. And ill post this in the right thread the next time

Quote Originally Posted by mhp

When you're new and learning, HB glyphed is all the help you will ever need. You shouldn't rely on D&D, since it has a long CD even with Morbidity. Better learn to pull and tank properly even when it's on CD, because in heroics, it WILL be on CD on every second pack, and the party will not wait for your D&D CD.
    Yeah your point is well made, I still like to have it because I know it's there ticking on everything.

I'm not arguing for DnD in favor of HB + glyph, simply in addition to.

If you can do without morbidity, by all means do so.