Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

How to get Battle.net Mobile Authenticator COMPLETELY free.

I posted it a while ago in another topic, but I thought that it deserves its own.

Only thing you need is your computer and a bit of computer knowledge (especially working with cmd).

Firstly, download Android SDK from Android's homepage, then update with chosen packages and corresponding APIs (doesn't matter which, it could be any version, even 1.5).

Then set up your AVD, you'll do this using Android AVD Manager, or through command line using android.bat and "create avd" command. First method is much easier, second is much more advanced. However, you don't need any advanced settings to use authenticator.

After you do this, run your AVD using AVD Manager (you can also make standalone shortcut on your Desktop: "location\android-sdk-windows\tools\emulator.exe" @youravdname) and download Battle.net Mobile Authenticator application package from here.

Then you must use command line, locate your "tools" folder in sdk location, it will look like this:

and type: "adb install [your bnet apk location, for example: C:\Bnet Mobile Auth.apk]" (if it displays an error "daemon is not running" then simply repeat the operation)

Now the last thing to do is to switch to your running emulator and run the application, after registering it on battle.net account management you can use it normally like on every phone, just run the emulator from avd manager or execute custom shortcut (method described above). There is also disadvantage, because emulator starts rather slowly, and WoW isn't running very smooth with Android in the background, but hey, it's free!

hope you will enjoy it.

15+ Year Old Account

Re: How to get Battle.net Mobile Authenticator COMPLETELY free.

Cause paying a relatively cheap amount to secure your account is too much.. why?
    What do you think you know and how do you think you know it?

Are you conscious in the sense of being aware of your own awareness?

Quote Originally Posted by malkara
    Cause paying a relatively cheap amount to secure your account is too much.. why?
    Not everyone has a phone that supports the Authenticators, and why would they want to spend money and wait for delivery to get something that they can get for free instantly?
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

15+ Year Old Account

I don't know, for me it is fine, but.. if there is other solution, maybe it would be better for some people? Amount to pay for authenticator is nothing in comparison to fee, but on the other hand, demanding additional cash for game security is somewhat unfair.. Anyway, here is solution, if someone likes it - nice to know, if not - just forget.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon
    Not everyone has a paycheque that supports owning a car, and why would they want to spend money to get something that they can get for free instantly?
    fixed it for you. It's still stealing.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by annarion
    Android OS is open-source, thus free, Battle.net application is also free..

i don't see any stealing here.

Android emulator is intented to be run on Windows, so what? it's not third-party script to emulate OS, it's Google own creation.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon
    Not everyone has a phone that supports the Authenticators, and why would they want to spend money and wait for delivery to get something that they can get for free instantly?
    Delivery from CA to Ohio took 2 days, you cant wait that long?

How on Earth is it stealing? The appliaction is free on the iTunes Store anyways. It just emulates and iPhone / whatever on your computer.

This isn't stealing at all, Blizzard gave this app out for free for Android phones.

It's just slightly less secure than an actual authenticator, but someone would have to actually "hack" you to make it less secure. (AKA I doubt a keylogger could activiate this and copy the code whenver it wanted.)

Deleted

I think you mean clever.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Panoramixe
    This isn't stealing at all, Blizzard gave this app out for free for Android phones.

It's just slightly less secure than an actual authenticator, but someone would have to actually "hack" you to make it less secure. (AKA I doubt a keylogger could activiate this and copy the code whenver it wanted.)
    Honestly, it is fairly secure, just because of how obscure it is. People don't write programs to target 0.0000001% of the WoW population. They write them to grab the 50% or whatever that don't have authenticators. It's like writing a virus for Macs. There really isn't a point.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

15+ Year Old Account

i thought about it, panoramixus, but it's still way safer than not using any authenticator at all.

and yes, I also can't imagine such a motherfuckeylogger, because who on earth would do something only to grab information from Android emulators?

You mean it´s Stealing, when you use the FREE App, instead ordering the device, wich only costs something because they need to build it and Ship it to you?

It´s just a Workaround when you dont have an Iphone. Pretty nice. My Thumbs up for the Solution.

Quote Originally Posted by dcemuser
    Honestly, it is fairly secure, just because of how obscure it is. People don't write programs to target 0.0000001% of the WoW population. They write them to grab the 50% or whatever that don't have authenticators. It's like writing a virus for Macs. There really isn't a point.
    Just saying it's possible, just like the man-in-the-middle attack that worked great, granted man-in-the-middle requires less work than what I proposed ...

I might try this out, since my physical authenticator's screen is slightly cracked ... Sometimes I mess up 6,8,0 because of it slightly annoying.

"A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell!"

WoW leveling/heroic/LFR difficulty in one line of code:
    do {press (AnyKey)} until MobHealth=0;

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx
    Because while this was is much more complicated, it'll actually work for any phone without you having to run it from PC and slowing down other programs;
    http://www.pwnies-guild.co.uk/Public.../authguide.htm
    i don't actually think that your solution is easier.

and even if it is - Android emulator is still interesting thing to have installed for those who don't have such phones.
    many helpful apps are phone-exclusive.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulli
    whoa, nice! any observations about how safe it really is? i mean "Use it only for testing with trial accounts!" step.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulli
    As Jimmy said, how reliable is this ?

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyfrantic
    There is also disadvantage, because emulator starts rather slowly, and WoW isn't running very smooth with Android in the background, but hey, it's free!

hope you will enjoy it.
    I wont enjoy it. The advantage for a real mobile authenticator or a hardware authenticator is, that it is not available on the same machine. There is no physical access to the data of the authenticator, also not its serial number.

Using your solution, you exactly compromise this, because the authenticator saves its serial number locally, and if your machine would be compromised, the attacker just could read the data on the machine he is going to sniff and keylog.

The solution you bring up, is therefore not even close to safe.

It would only be, if you run the authenticator on a seperated machine, which would be in the best case not available via network access.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Mushy
    As Jimmy said, how reliable is this ?
    Read this, in the description of the app:

INIT EU - Initializes the authenticator via Blizzards European server and stores the initialization data to the file "authenticator.config" within the current directory.
    If i was the script kiddie, which would compromise your machine, i just would read the authenticator.config to get your serial key.

It's not safe, if you run it on the same machine you play on.

It's not safe, if you run it on a machine in your local network.

15+ Year Old Account

how can you access this authenticator easily? you must know exact informations about your machine, having accessed your account data earlier.. whole lotta work!

of course, your best friend can execute the emulator during your absence, but hey, he can also use your physical authenticator.. it can also be stolen!

having everything considered - there is no safe solution at all. but don't tell me that using this method you are nowhere near safety

Quote Originally Posted by rym
    Read this, in the description of the app:

If i was the script kiddie, which would compromise your machine, i just would read the authenticator.config to get your serial key.

It's not safe, if you run it on the same machine you play on.

It's not safe, if you run it on a machine in your local network.
    here i must agree, if one can acquire your account information, than accessing this cfg is also possible.

but to decrypt android system, because only there the information is kept, you would need serious software it isn't worth doing that.