Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Frost Tanking Insane TPS?

Is anyone else getting insane TPS as a Frost tank? I've ben DW Frost Tanking for a while now, and it has never ben this high, and I have changed my rotation to a rather... Icy Touch dominated one. You can tell by my armoy (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...thas&cn=Gattok) that my gear isn't too great, but still, I can pull 18k TPS just by using a simple rotation ; Spam IT and use Rune Strikes and Frost Strikes untill I'm out of RP... Is it this easy for the other specs?

Re: Frost Tanking Insane TPS?

are you not aware of the icy touch buff they made? any DK in frost presence when you cast icy touch is a big threat increase..so using that several times with rune strike will definitely generate some threat

I know about it, I'm just wondering if other specs are getting this much of a bonus from it, because I want to switch to blood, but I don't want to give up 18k tps.

you will be just as fine with 10k tps. that other 8k tps could be used up as a dps increase or for some utility.

You don't need 18kdps, considering most dps specs have a 20-30% threat reduc in talents. Just some MD's in the beginning and 8-10k is perfect.

I know on my blood tank (that I'm terrible on), I jumped like 2ktps when the icytouch buff hit.

Shouldn't have any aggro issues in either spec and I dont see frost out tpsing blood by any really. Most utitily I would see out of frost would be extra ae threat from HB

10+ Year Old Account

yeah, frost TPS went through the roof. the only real problem is frost is also an excellent dps spec atm, and the maximum dps spec for it, does not allow for the threat reduction talents. so in most cases u have to either give up some dps, or pull of the tank on many fights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry_David
    "from injustise comes justise"

-huangzhong9

Yeah, the broke DK tanks when they made IT insane. Noobs that use 2 tanking weapons can actually tank.
    Nom Nom Nom [NNF] (2 points) - When you Ferocious Bite a target at or below 25% health, you have a 50/100% chance to instantly refresh the duration of your Rip on the target.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Melonberry
    Yeah, the broke DK tanks when they made IT insane. Noobs that use 2 tanking weapons can actually tank.
    No, they can't. I still get healing aggro on my priest whenever I meet a fast/fast DK. They run in, pull the whole room, and I die because they're too busy fapping over 1% avoidance, while the healer dies in the back.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account

Blood Gives an extra 5% crit
    Blood Gives and Extra 1k HP
    Blood Is better tanking single target (You dont even need DND to get good TPS).

Frost is better for AOE tanking (Like Onyxia whelps howling blast + deathchill is ftw)
    Insert Signiture here.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanoble
    Blood Gives an extra 5% crit
    Wrong. It gives 2% crit, compared to Frost (Annihilation gives 3% melee crit).

Blood Gives and Extra 1k HP
    Wrong. It gives 3% more stamina, but frost provides 2% more mitigation.

Blood Is better tanking single target (You dont even need DND to get good TPS).
    That one is arguable, frost does insane TPS, especially if specced for threat.

Basically, you listed all the things from blood, that do not really matter when comparing to frost, yet, you did not list those, that do matter: Hysteria, Vampiric Blood (vs UbA) and WotN to some extent.

Frost is better for AOE tanking (Like Onyxia whelps howling blast + deathchill
    is ftw)
    If you take deathchill, you're doing it wrong.

Keep in mind the ICC buff hit 15% this week that's a sizable chunk of free tps we didn't see this time last week

Too all the fan boys shouting blood is better or frost is better. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. As real tanks spec both, and switch according to what they are going to be tanking.

Bloody part time wannabes honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by mhp
    Wrong. It gives 2% crit, compared to Frost (Annihilation gives 3% melee crit).

Wrong. It gives 3% more stamina, but frost provides 2% more mitigation.

That one is arguable, frost does insane TPS, especially if specced for threat.

Basically, you listed all the things from blood, that do not really matter when comparing to frost, yet, you did not list those, that do matter: Hysteria, Vampiric Blood (vs UbA) and WotN to some extent.

If you take deathchill, you're doing it wrong.

I agree with some of your points, but I play both a frost and blood dk tank (swap specs for what I am doing) And for bosses, Blood wins.

On the Flip side though, I'm really waiting on Cata to hit, UbA + Hystera right off the bat = crazy burst threat. I'm just sad I'll be playing my Nelf DK in cata and not my orc one Blood Fury ftw.....
    Alliance on Uldaman - Mortred, Traxex, Tarrasque, Kaldr, Shendelzare
    Horde on Draenor - Littleevil, Le, Xaladin, Smokingcrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Squishie
    Too all the fan boys shouting blood is better or frost is better. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. As real tanks spec both, and switch according to what they are going to be tanking.
    This is the reason I'm glad DKs are getting a dedicated tanking tree in Cata so that to be a "real" tank you don't need two tank specs. Now if they could just do the same for priests so I don't have to have a Healer/healer Dual spec.
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    Ice cream sales increase in the summer over the rest of the year (this is established fact). The number of drownings increase in the summer over the rest of the year (this is also established fact). By your logic ... ice cream causes people to drown.

10+ Year Old Account

@ OP: Apparently, you didn't know that DW Frost tanks uses 2x SLOOOOOW weapons, and not 2x fas--- weapons. Slooooower weapons gives more damage output (also, your melee attacks does % of your weapon damage), while fas-- weapons does less damage, aka less threat.

OT: Blood does the insane Single-Target TPS, while Frost is the insane at AoE. There are benefits in both, but it is you, yourself who decides what spec you wanna play.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy25
    I agree with some of your points, but I play both a frost and blood dk tank (swap specs for what I am doing) And for bosses, Blood wins.
    Perhaps by a very thin margin, which you will not notice unless:

1) You're in a top100 guild and on progress.

OR

2) You or your raid are doing something wrong.

If neither is true, then frost is as good as blood for boss tanking. Been there, done that, it works perfectly fine.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by mhp
    Perhaps by a very thin margin, which you will not notice unless:

1) You're in a top100 guild and on progress.

OR

2) You or your raid are doing something wrong.

If neither is true, then frost is as good as blood for boss tanking. Been there, done that, it works perfectly fine.
    However, Blood saves the healers some % of their mana, since you'll be DS-in' yourself for 15% of your health each time. ;D

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Zalënë
    However, Blood saves the healers some % of their mana, since you'll be DS-in' yourself for 15% of your health each time. ;D
    They will be spamming you nevertheless, so that argument is invalid (especially when the majority of those self heals are overheals). Plus, frost has a passive 2% mitigation, which, imo, would save more mana than your self heals, if healers would actually stop their casts.

I jus got my hands on bloodvenom blade the other weak for my frost dw dk and i fine i actually have to stop dpsing on fights where other tanks have to taunt or a i will pull back off them

Well, you could argue that blood could pull as much tps as a frost dk, but kinda makes the point of a healing tank pointless if he's not casting his healing move so that he can spam icy touch to keep up in threat with the frost tank(ur asking who can pull more tps in a normal rotation, not if pulling 18k tps is necessary, which its not).

also recall: because a frost dk doesn't need to be super tight on his rotation to hold agro with a icy touch on steriods and taking adrenalin shots(frost tree buffs), he can free it up for some more interesting attacks..........like a death strike that still heals for 10% max health. thats still a big heal, and works well into the rotation, if ur low on agro, use the death runes to icy touch, if ur not use deathstrike. while your dps may suffer, its not that big of a deal in a 25 man raid where everyone is pulling 9k+. you wont be missed

one last thing: extra threat gives u time to sit back and relax, maybe help out with raid mechanics a little, saurfang comes to mind. U have no idea how helpfull it is to be able to chain and taunt adds for your ranged, without having to worry about the boss so long as it isn't taunt time. same deal on a fight like blood princes. spam a couple icy touches to hold initial agro on keleseth, saving your raid the need to make a ranged bitch dps do it, spend ur time running around to gather up orbs, when dps time comes spam some more icy touch at him and so overpower the dps that u can go gather more orbs without worry that they will pull off you.

overall, being able throw around your threat like chuck norris throws around his foot has its perks. is it necessary? no. Does it grow your epeen? you bet your sweet ass it does