Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...

Re: What random instance do you always get and you always dont get

Either UK or AN

For once i want Trial of the champion

oculus

I already have 3 of those friggin' blue drakes
    Dear developers,

please nerf Rock, it's too overpowered. Paper is fine, however.
    Signed, Scissors.

Always HoR/Oculus, never anything else.

10+ Year Old Account

Always get Old Kingdom or UK never get any of the ICC 5 mans

always AN and nexus, never occulus. and this happening after they updated it so i really want that blue drake. figures :
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

I ALWAYS get OK...literally 4/5 days of the week (I don't do it some days). I never get any Icecrown heroics especially or UP, AN, or VH
    Crusader Revengica <Parody> of Bonechewer US

7 time out of 10 on my main, it's Oculus :<
    RETH

On topic before a long off-topic comment: I tend to get HOS and HOL an awful lot and VH hardly ever.

Quote Originally Posted by takolin
    On a more "serious" note. The RNG just hates you if you get one place more than another (or love in some cases).
    That's because you put too much faith in random numbers being random. They're only as good as their seed and their methodology.

There's a joke that runs in geeky/programming circles, where a function is created to generate a random number. It returns the value 4--always--and has a comment that reads "chosen by fair dice roll. guaranteed to be random."

More recently we got a better (and less contrived) example when the EU-mandated Microsoft Browser Ballot page was found not to be random. Why? Because what they did was randomly determine if A should be sorted before B without regard to what A or B is. For these sorting algorithms to work properly, it must be consistent. In other words if A < B, A must ALWAYS be < B. Not sometimes less and sometimes more.

The results are random in the sense that all possible combinations do come up -- but the algorithm actually introduced statistically-significant bias such that certain combinations were more likely than others, and not just because "RNG loves them."

In WOW's case, the scenario is actually even more complicated. They are not giving you a random dungeon; they are matching you with others in the dungeon finder system according to roles and whether or not your gear meets a minimum level (for some dungeons). Some of these people will have queued for a random, some will have queued for a specific dungeon. As a really contrived example, if everybody on your battlegroup queued for TOC you're getting TOC. If every tank queues for HOR you're getting HOR.

Now, you may or may not be right. For all I know their solution ends up being perfectly random within its constraints. Maybe these reports from the users (individually and as groups) are simply randomness at work. Maybe it's a selection bias, where people remember getting instances they hate most and so they feel as though they get them disproportionately. But maybe there really IS an issue at work. A bad seed, a bad algorithm -- it could be anything. Hell, maybe it's all of it at work at once.

Don't simply assume that something is purely random because it's called such. Even highly-paid, well-intentioned people can make mistakes. Sometimes patterns really ARE patterns.

AK:OK and HoS

I always get random instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilas
    AK:OK and HoS
    This, especially hate HoS, not sure why - it's not really long.

10+ Year Old Account

VH. Always. Never see FoS.
    "Too many people have opinions on things they know nothing about. The more ignorant they are, the more opinions they have."
    -Thomas Hildern

10+ Year Old Account

Always Hos, but never AN.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

i queued on random i got 8 HoS straight today is that even a random? lol

I always seem to get HoS/HoL, i never see Oculus

15+ Year Old Account

I can bet the mortgage on it being either HoS, UP or Occulus every time.

To this day, I have never been thrown into PoS as a random. I've always had to select it.
    Remember this, kids, it is very important. Even if your mommy makes you a super hero costume, do not attempt to do any of these things, especially flying. Because you cannot do it. You do not have super powers. Because there is only one Super Grover. And that is me.