Morrowind vs Oblivion

Out of these two I have heard that the world of oblivion is much much smaller then the game world in morrowwind.. How do these two compare?

and is it true there is a graphics add on now to morrowind which makes its graphics as good as oblivion?
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

Re: Morrowind vs Oblivion

Quote Originally Posted by Scigodomega
    Out of these two I have heard that the world of oblivion is much much smaller then the game world in morrowwind.. How do these two compare?

and is it true there is a graphics add on now to morrowind which makes its graphics as good as oblivion?
    I was a big fan of Morrowind, and Oblivion to me was just kind of blah in comparison. Don't know about graphics add-on, there could be one.

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!

Morrowind Graphics Extender

I played Marrowind to Death.

While this was a long time ago, I believe there is a thing called too much Fantasy in a Fantasy game. For example, I was really turned off by cities of Mushrooms and Cat people and similar things. While it didn't ruin the game, I found myself staying near the more Medieval side of the game and dreading Mushroom buildings.

Oblivion in my opinion was the game that did it right. They took out the weird Mushroom crap and went with a more Medieval look with some fantasy but not overboard. The fact that NPC's all had a actual voice was a good feature too, made you feel like you were actually talking to them instead of reading text.

Overall, both are good games in different ways.

The biggest problem oblivion had (in my oppinion) was that the fun factor was dropped down a huge notch. There was never a sence of progression or advancement or a feeling of getting stronger in general because all the enemies leveled togeather with you. I really hate it when developers get so hung up on having perfect "balance" throughout the whole game that level one feels like level 100, with just different looking gear. In my oppinion, when you get stronger you should be able to kick the shit out of monsters that were previously a challenge, while being able to try out the tougher enemies who could previously annihilate you with their pinky.

In morrowind the most fun I ever had was doing stuff like getting acrobatics to 100, enchanting passive +strength on all my deadric gear while enchanting +jump as an on use on rings, then being able to literally jump from city to city. THAT was badass. Other cool shit was killing the gods vivec and later on even almalexia (although shes about a trillion times harder than vivec with all her guards). Almalexia had a really badass legendary sword that she dropped, if memory serves me right. Oh and also her guards dropped very good armor, although I preffered my str daedric set.

All in all, when I switched from morrowind to oblivion which had at the time just come out, the fun factor on a scale of 1 to 10 dropped down from a 10 to a 1 when I found most enemies were as hard on level 1 as they were on 20. I could be wrong though because I got tired and gave up on oblivion after just a couple of hours, but all my friends who had given oblivion a serious play-through confirmed this.

I think Morrowind has much more depth, and variety - more factions, more weapons, more skills and so on, while Oblivion feels like a much more simplified game.

Oblivion's default leveling system is weird, and the whole game in general feels much less finished. There is much less vareity in armor and weapons, and ememies.

With Mods it can become much more varied, if you get it I'd recommend Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul and Unique Landscapes, also, Morrowind's combat is dodgy as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by rantus
    I think Morrowind has much more depth, and variety - more factions, more weapons, more skills and so on, while Oblivion feels like a much more simplified game.

Oblivion's default leveling system is weird, and the whole game in general feels much less finished. There is much less vareity in armor and weapons, and ememies.

With Mods it can become much more varied, if you get it I'd recommend Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul and Unique Landscapes, also, Morrowind's combat is dodgy as hell.

So does it take alot longer to complete marrowind then oblivion?

There really is no completion of the games almost always more to do. I preferred Morrowind over Oblivion, but when I try to go back to Morrowind I can't get very far. (The oblivion changes spoiled me)

Quote Originally Posted by Conquestaxe
    There really is no completion of the games almost always more to do. I preferred Morrowind over Oblivion, but when I try to go back to Morrowind I can't get very far. (The oblivion changes spoiled me)
    wow theres even a mod for oblivion to get the Lich Kings armor and his sword (2h and 1h versions) and it looks exactly like the lich king!

Morrowind was very addictive, but was to hard tbh, and it forced you to join factions in order to get stronger and forget about the story.
    The world was too big, too many dungeons, no memorable characters.

im getting that GFX extendor and Morrowind, time for some srs gaming

15+ Year Old Account

I prefered Oblivion for one thing: no f*cking rng on hits!

I really really hated it on lower levels where 4/5 hits missed on a cliffrunner because your skill wasn't high enough.
    But both were fantastic games which cost me well over 100 hours of lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Priesten
    The biggest problem oblivion had (in my oppinion) was that the fun factor was dropped down a huge notch. There was never a sence of progression or advancement or a feeling of getting stronger in general because all the enemies leveled togeather with you. I really hate it when developers get so hung up on having perfect "balance" throughout the whole game that level one feels like level 100, with just different looking gear. In my oppinion, when you get stronger you should be able to kick the shit out of monsters that were previously a challenge, while being able to try out the tougher enemies who could previously annihilate you with their pinky.

In morrowind the most fun I ever had was doing stuff like getting acrobatics to 100, enchanting passive +strength on all my deadric gear while enchanting +jump as an on use on rings, then being able to literally jump from city to city. THAT was badass. Other cool shit was killing the gods vivec and later on even almalexia (although shes about a trillion times harder than vivec with all her guards). Almalexia had a really badass legendary sword that she dropped, if memory serves me right. Oh and also her guards dropped very good armor, although I preffered my str daedric set.

All in all, when I switched from morrowind to oblivion which had at the time just come out, the fun factor on a scale of 1 to 10 dropped down from a 10 to a 1 when I found most enemies were as hard on level 1 as they were on 20. I could be wrong though because I got tired and gave up on oblivion after just a couple of hours, but all my friends who had given oblivion a serious play-through confirmed this.
    Jump from city to city? Like a super matrix neo jump?

Morrowind if you enjoy playing in a MASSIVE world, with hundreds of quests, tons of replay value and an excellent main quest + expansions.

Oblivion if your a shallow graphics whore, simple as that. In terms of story, depth and replay value Morrowind is the superior one.

Well, in my opinion anyway. :

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Scigodomega
    Jump from city to city? Like a super matrix neo jump?
    Indeed, Exactly like that.

I loved how Morrowind was just so fucking MASSIVE.
    I loved it so much more than Oblivion.
    "Your country is like an old maid servant; accustomed to being raped by everyone." - Napoleon

Morrowind: Large land, I loved the fact you were forced to explore everywhere, where as in oblivion you can fast travel to any city.
    The way the RNG worked out for hitting things with attacks made it easier, since the game didn't scale you HAD to start out in low level areas.
    In my opinion, some of the details in game were hard. I never did finish Tribunal...

Oblivion: True, better graphics. The Daedic God quests were a fun part. Had a lot of good side story lines to get involved with, such as the in depth Fighters Guild involvement with the Blackwood Company.

Either way both games were fantastic, and different. So depending on how you are feeling or what you want to do affects which one is better for you, in my opinion

10+ Year Old Account

all oblivion needs is like 50 mods.
    with them, its the greatest single-player rpg ever made =P

especially if u played a stealthy / silver-tongue type of character.

Morrowind is by far better than oblivion.Oblivions is great in many aspects But!Morrowind is better in those aspects(except graphics ofc)
    Mal'Ganis is DEAD!Deal with it!