War Token or Tier? (Ret)

I know 99% of the time you always want to go for tier pieces before anything else, so hopefully I'm just over thinking this question. I currently have DMC: Greatness and Meteorite Whetstone for my trinkets. I obviously want to replace the Whetstone. Now let me preface this discussion with the following: this is my alt's offspec. I will not have access to Death's Verdict/Whispering Fang Skull/Deathbringer's Will for quite some time. At the moment, I'm considering them out of the question. With that in mind, the question is do I spend the frost badges and get the Wartoken (since that appears to be my next best option) or should I get tier 10 pieces? Right now I have no tier 10 ret pieces, and I'm currently using two pieces of tier 9.5 (legs and shoulders). Here's what I have in the 5 tier spots:

Head: http://db.mmo-champion.com/i/50779/d...-zealots-helm/
    Shoulders: http://db.mmo-champion.com/i/48611/t...es-of-triumph/
    Chest: http://db.mmo-champion.com/i/47589/titanium-razorplate/
    Gloves: http://db.mmo-champion.com/i/50021/a...es-of-secrecy/
    Legs: http://db.mmo-champion.com/i/48610/t...es-of-triumph/

Given those pieces, what should I do? I'm torn between the Wartoken or a tier 10 piece (chest, probably). According to Rawr, the Wartoken is the biggest single DPS upgrade on a single item-per-item basis...

Edit: Only reason I didn't post an armory is because I recently respec'd prot and don't have my ret spec at this very moment. If any further gear/stats are needed to make the decision I'll gladly post them.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Re: War Token or Tier? (Ret)

The 2 and 4 item bonuses of T10 are both larger upgrades than the Herkuml War Token, so buy those first. T10 also increases the value of haste, so the Meteorite Whetstone's proc will be worth more as you get T10 items.

Since you currently have T9, switch to 2T10 and 2T9 when you have two T10 pieces, and don't drop 2T9 until you can get 4T10.

Alright, I had heard a couple of places that 2T9 and 2T10 was really good until you can get 4T10, I just wasn't sure if I should prioritize differently since the Whetstone wasn't that great in comparison to the Wartoken. I didn't know that T10 increased the value of haste, so that's a useful tidbit, thanks for that. Obviously compared to DBW/DV/WFS, the Whetstone isn't that great, but should I consider getting, for example, the Mirror of Truth in the mean time or stick with the Whetstone?

15+ Year Old Account

the war token is pretty meh, the buff dont last long enough and fall off easily

war token is only slightly better than DMC:G, if you want a trinket to replace the whetstone then you might wanna just aim for whispering fanged skull from lady deathwhisper 10man. If you're feeling a little more insane you can still try toc25 for death's choice. But as everyone said, your biggest dps increase is gonna be getting 2p t10 then replacing all your t9 only when you can get 4p t10. war token should be nearer the end of your list with what to buy with eof.

Seems like the consensus is still tier 10, sounds good to me, thank you for the input . My other question is this then. Barring the lucky the off chance that I snag DBW/DV/WFS, would the Mirror of Truth be better than the Whetstone? Rawr seems to be saying that it isn't, but if it was up to Rawr, I'd be making a mistake in going for the Wartoken first.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Eluamous
    Seems like the consensus is still tier 10, sounds good to me, thank you for the input . My other question is this then. Barring the lucky the off chance that I snag DBW/DV/WFS, would the Mirror of Truth be better than the Whetstone? Rawr seems to be saying that it isn't, but if it was up to Rawr, I'd be making a mistake in going for the Wartoken first.
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=45263 you mean?
    give more crit (+0.52%) and a more controllable ap buff (timed with Avenging wrath :P) then MoT
    i really need to get one lol

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Nienniora
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=45263 you mean?
    give more crit (+0.52%) and a more controllable ap buff (timed with Avenging wrath :P) then MoT
    i really need to get one lol
    He means the Meteorite Whetstone from Utgarde Pinnacle, that gives 74 crit and a 400ish haste proc.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Cardolan
    He means the Meteorite Whetstone from Utgarde Pinnacle, that gives 74 crit and a 400ish haste proc.
    ah
    equal crit.. haste proc not too sure it come ahead, rawr says yes but not too sure lol

FWIW, I geared up to 4 piece t10, got the back and waist, and only then picked up the HWT because nothing else has dropped for me and I was sick of using the EoT hit trinket.

It's really quite a nice trinket, but it needs to be prioritized late in your purchases.

If you've pretty much bought everything and still haven't picked up better, then yes absolutely pick one up.

Until you get better, try running with DMC:G Strength and the Mark of Supremacy (unless you're overflowing with hit).

tier tier tier tier tier tier...
    t10=AWESOME
    as for war token i use it cause i like the haste. and cause nothing else has droped for me ><

10+ Year Old Account

Get Tier.

run 25 toc, 10 icc and 25 icc and hope for trinket drops there. AFTER you have 4 t10, and your libram, then go for HWT with your extra badges if you still havent upgraded your trinket. Also, farm 40 triumph emblems, drop them to heroism and get a Mirror of Truth... It's a very well itemized trinket for ret, and is far better than the whetstone.
    Look up, see the buzzards circling?

Thanks for all the responses, they've been very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Serryn
    Get Tier.

run 25 toc, 10 icc and 25 icc and hope for trinket drops there. AFTER you have 4 t10, and your libram, then go for HWT with your extra badges if you still havent upgraded your trinket. Also, farm 40 triumph emblems, drop them to heroism and get a Mirror of Truth... It's a very well itemized trinket for ret, and is far better than the whetstone.
    Alright, that's good to know, I'll get the MoT then. I thought about the Mark of Supremacy...depending on how I go, I either have too much or too little hit (between Citadel Enforcer's Claymore and Blade of the Culling). I just didn't want to squander my frost badges. I've started picking up T10 and I'll work on the 4 piece first. Thanks again for all the help. Hopefully I'll get a really lucky trinket drop.