Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Is Aion worth playing?

I'm considering buying that game, but first I'd like to hear a few opinions about it. Especially since it's still quite expensive.

First of all, I don't wish to hear opinions like " I couldn't get past first 5 levels" or "I only played 2 hours and it was shit" I'm hoping to hear an opinion from someone who played more than 50 hours.

So the question is: Is Aion worth playing?

Thank you in forehand for replying.

Re: Is Aion worth playing?

It's up to you really. Aion was another MMORPG that was launched with the intention of having new content released later, which was one of the reasons for it failing to get a huge player-base.

But from keeping up with the game, I've seen that they have improved the graphics for the already stunning and changed it so that it is so much Eye Candy so that will give you diabetes from it looking at it but you don't care. :P

Personally, I don't like how the game tried to be WoW with Wings and how the game forces you into PvP at some point.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Daginni
    It's up to you really. Aion was another MMORPG that was launched with the intention of having new content released later, which was one of the reasons for it failing to get a huge player-base.

But from keeping up with the game, I've seen that they have improved the graphics for the already stunning and changed it so that it is so much Eye Candy so that will give you diabetes from it looking at at but you don't care. :P

Personally, I don't like how the game tried to be WoW with Wings and how the game forces you into PvP at some point.
    First of all, thank you for the reply and honest answer.

But I would like to ask you if they ever made the content they intended to release later, or is it the same game critics rated 6 - 9 / 10? I mean if there's been any improvement.

I started playing it with 2 friends awhile after the release. It was fun at first, exploring the places, doing quests and whatnot. The graphics are indeed beautiful but after you get past level 20 or something like that, it starts to get very grindy and repetitive. There were some nice features like the spell/ability combos.

But I'm not too sure how the game is these days as I quit many months ago already.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by ExarKun
    I started playing it with 2 friends awhile after the release. It was fun at first, exploring the places, doing quests and whatnot. The graphics are indeed beautiful but after you get past level 20 or something like that, it starts to get very grindy and repetitive. There were some nice features like the spell/ability combos.

But I'm not too sure how the game is these days as I quit many months ago already.
    So it's not a complete waste of time then? :P I guess I'll have to try it out. Anyway, I heard the game really starts over level 24

Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho
    I'm considering buying that game, but first I'd like to hear a few opinions about it. Especially since it's still quite expensive.

First of all, I don't wish to hear opinions like " I couldn't get past first 5 levels" or "I only played 2 hours and it was shit" I'm hoping to hear an opinion from someone who played more than 50 hours.

So the question is: Is Aion worth playing?

Thank you in forehand for replying.

the game sucks. I played tell level 40, and just could take it anymore, at every point during the game people would say get to X level and it starts to kick ass, no matter how many Xs I achieved it sucked. The game is grindy, the pvp is very laggy and dungeon loot drop rates SUCK.

I mean imagine running a dungeon over and over again and the bosses dont drop anything? This happens ALOT in Aion. You can literally run the same dungeon hundreds of times (theres only a 30 minue lock out for some but even this can be bypassed) and never seeing any real loot drop. The game gets very frustrating. Then, its biggest strength, the wing mechanics, and the areas you are allowed to fly in are rather limited.
    Aion sucks.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Scigodomega

the game sucks. I played tell level 40, and just could take it anymore, at every point during the game people would say get to X level and it starts to kick ass, no matter how many Xs I achieved it sucked. The game is grindy, the pvp is very laggy and dungeon loot drop rates SUCK.

I mean imagine running a dungeon over and over again and the bosses dont drop anything? This happens ALOT in Aion. You can literally run the same dungeon hundreds of times (theres only a 30 minue lock out for some but even this can be bypassed) and never seeing any real loot drop. The game gets very frustrating. Then, its biggest strength, the wing mechanics, and the areas you are allowed to fly in are rather limited.
    Aion sucks.
    To be honest, I love the challenge of working for your levels :P even though many might consider it a bad thing. Also if the dungeon bosses really drop so rarely anything, the game sounds like you have to sweat for your loot, and since I'm an obsessive player I would actually love that :P

That flying thing sounds rather sad though :<, oh well I can't defend the game or judge it before I try it. Thanks for the reply.

To be honest, I love the challenge of working for your levels :P even though many might consider it a bad thing. Also if the dungeon bosses really drop so rarely anything, the game sounds like you have to sweat for your loot, and since I'm an obsessive player I would actually love that :P

That flying thing sounds rather sad though :<, oh well I can't defend the game or judge it before I try it. Thanks for the reply.
    There's a point when working for something becomes a task, and I personally play video games for fun, not to add on to my workload, it's your choice though

To be as raved about as it is though, the game's really not that pretty once you get past the graphics, depending on the race you play, after 20 you either stare at, Deserts and corrupted bogs full of undead or, Snowy wastelands and near lifeless mountain ranges aside from the odd one or two areas with plant life, also filled with undead

Pvp is also hell, if you roll a melee you may as well just quit, they have weak snares and no gap closers (In the air, there's a few on the ground), just as well, a sorcerer can kill you in two hits unless you're in full pvp gear, which takes half a year minimum to get, and they have better snares than all the melee classes put together
    How much bone could a bonestorm storm if a bonestorm could BOOOOOOOOONESTOOOOOOOOOOOORM!!
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/character-bios/'almega'-nara-draconus/ - my RP character

I played Aion for a bit with a few guildies right after it initially launched. My boyfriend and I only managed to make it to level 11 before we hit the quests that were repeatable.. 100 times over. That was about it for us. A few other guildies made it a lot further than that and enjoyed it to an extent. Most of them quit before level 40, however had one that lasted a bit longer. He finally came back to WoW a few weeks ago. Basically, he hit level 44 and didn't have any quests he could do until he hit level 46 and opened the next quest zone hub. The experience needed to get from just 44 to 45 was over 18 million experience. There were only two instances open at the time which would take literally days to complete a full run of and even a full clear only yielded 2-3 million experience. It became a huge money sink, as in if he was looking to buy consumables, he would be dropping tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of gold (can't remember whatever it's called in Aion).

TL;DR: It was a very, very fun game in the beginning, and as some one said, the graphics are absolutely stunning. But, in the end, Korean grindfest is Korean grindfest.

When victory seems worth any sacrifice,
    there is a price to be paid for such a gift

Forum Guidelines | Signature Restrictions

15+ Year Old Account

I played it to a level 37 Spiritmaster, Level 31 Ranger, Level 27 Templar

Let me sum up the game for you in a single word

GRIND

Ok, maybe that was overkill, but I'm being entirely honest. 1-25ish, arguably 30 goes decently well, a reasonable amount of quests, a few group opportunities here and there. After that, Grind. Then Grind some more, then you might be able to find a group and grind on some elite mobs, or if you want to level faster, you can go to the Abyss and Grind the stuff in there which gives roughly 20-30% more XP and also AP (abyss points, aka honor points), however at a cost: a high chance of being zerged by people 20-30 levels higher than you, constantly.

Everything in the game revolves around grinding, Trade skilling is a massive grind, with way too many chances with chances. For example, crafting high end gear is based on RNG, on TOP of eating super expensive components.

To PVP, you need to grind a massive amount of Kinnah (the games currency) and dump all of it on consumables, PVP is nigh impossible without consumables.

PVE dungeons do not guarantee loot, hell there isnt even a high chance at loot, I did many dungeons just to find the bosses dropping a few coin and some scraps.

The beginning game is very fun, the graphics are outstanding, combat is very fast paced for melee characters later on (spellcasting is left in the dust early in the game), but the questing, PVE, and trade skilling are all after-thought content with bare ass minimal functionality. The pvp is great, but getting to 50 to be on an even playing field TO pvp is the biggest challenge in the entire game. It is an abysmally boring grindfest with the only reasonably attractive feature being end game PVP.

I also wanted to point out, the whole wings feature is a gimmick. You cannot use it anytime outside of the Abyss aside from Gliding down terrain as a terrible form of "travelling faster", your first set of wings only lets you fly, if I remember correctly, for something like 40 seconds. In the early Abyss levels, prior to becoming lvl 30 and getting faster flying speed, you will have to use the recharge rings 24/7, which is frustrating.

The Development team is Korean, and the Korean players rarely complain about anything, leading to changes that western audiences see as being necessary, never being or taking a substantial amount of time to implement. Western concerns are filtered through NCWest before going to the Korean development team, a process which takes an unbelievable amount of time.

If you want to try Aion, play some other Korean free to play MMO's to see what the grind is like, Aion is no different.

10+ Year Old Account

Tbh, the graphics don't make up for the bots. Even if they fixed the grinding, and all the other things, it wouldn't make up for it. I quit mainly because the bots.

Like said, it's another Korean game. If you've played one you'll understand. It's not like, WoW heroics grind. It's on a whole different level.

Deleted

Does the fact that I absolutely love mindless grinding compensate for that amount of mindless grinding? I used to love MMO named Tibia, which 100 % is based on that mindless grinding :P

I thought it was decent until 25, then I couldn't take it anymore.

To boring, grindy.

Asking if it is worth it to play Aion is like asking your friends if getting with the hottest chick you know is a good idea, but with the caveat that you just found out she has HIV.

Does the fact that I absolutely love mindless grinding compensate for that amount of mindless grinding? I used to love MMO named Tibia, which 100 % is based on that mindless grinding :P
    There are double xp weekends almost every other weekend. with paid subscriptions you get in game mail bonus xp trinkets as well as the standard rested bonus. So with those parts, it's alot quicker.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

To all the people who said its a very Grindy game past 20, it WAS and then they added over 200 quests between 20-25 and at 25 you can start doing the first instance and that will get you to 30 before you know it. I only got to level 37 on my mage before my month wore out and since most of my friends went back to WoW I went too.

Overall though, it was a great game and I would deff. recommend trying it if your into RPG games
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulduru
    He is the hero that Azeroth deserves, but not the one it needs right now. And so we'll mock his alpha prediction. Because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a silent poster, a watchful dataminer....The MMO Champion.

Quote Originally Posted by theheratik150
    To all the people who said its a very Grindy game past 20, it WAS and then they added over 200 quests between 20-25 and at 25 you can start doing the first instance and that will get you to 30 before you know it. I only got to level 37 on my mage before my month wore out and since most of my friends went back to WoW I went too.

Overall though, it was a great game and I would deff. recommend trying it if your into RPG games
    Still grindy. once you hit 30 you spent countless hours running fire temple and MM over and over again, and 90 percent of the time not seeing any real loot drops.

another thing that sucks about Aion is alot of the players have no respect for the loot, and by that I mean: Imagine for example, if you were in a wow raid and a mage rolled on a 2h Axe and won over you. youd be pissed.
    In Aion this kind of thing happens all the time, under the justification that they can vendor.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Scigodomega
    Still grindy. once you hit 30 you spent countless hours running fire temple and MM over and over again, and 90 percent of the time not seeing any real loot drops.

another thing that sucks about Aion is alot of the players have no respect for the loot, and by that I mean: Imagine for example, if you were in a wow raid and a mage rolled on a 2h Axe and won over you. youd be pissed.
    In Aion this kind of thing happens all the time, under the justification that they can vendor.
    You'd be fooling yourself if you thought that kind of stuff didnät happen in wow all the time since the launch.

15+ Year Old Account

Think of WoW, but with more ganking, and grinding.

If it's your thing, then yes.

And if nothing else, it's pretty to look at.

You'd be fooling yourself if you thought that kind of stuff didnät happen in wow all the time since the launch.
    I didnt say it didnt, but in WoW it happens once in a blue moon. In Aion it happens all the time. there is literally no loot etiquette.