Different movement keys for different specs?

To start, i admit that while I feel, and have been told by even better players that I am an exceptional player, I click. It's a terrible habit, and I'm ready to rid myself of it. I main a paladin (Ret/Holy). However, if I'm keybinding in ret, and using wasd to strafe, and mouse to turn, that presents some problems for holy. I use Healbot for Holy, and I find keyboard turning more useful, so I never have to move my mouse off the HB to turn with the mouse (taking time away from casting heals, obviously), is there no way to have different movement keys for different specs, so I can use A D to strafe in ret, and A D to turn in Holy?

Re: Different movement keys for different specs?

No. You don't have the change any of your keybinds to be able to effectively use your mouse. You should use the same binds for both specs so you can get comfortable with it. Just hold down rightclick and point it in the direction you want to go, and go back to healbot. It's only a split-second to pull your mouse away from the frame.

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

Keyboard turn as holy. It's not a big deal for a healer unless you're pvping.

I'm not even completely sure why you'd need to turn as a healer. For most things, just strafing is fine.
    Nom Nom Nom [NNF] (2 points) - When you Ferocious Bite a target at or below 25% health, you have a 50/100% chance to instantly refresh the duration of your Rip on the target.

Quote Originally Posted by lawomous
    No. You don't have the change any of your keybinds to be able to effectively use your mouse. You should use the same binds for both specs so you can get comfortable with it. Just hold down rightclick and point it in the direction you want to go, and go back to healbot. It's only a split-second to pull your mouse away from the frame.
    I realize this, but then I can't cast Holy Shock (well, I suppose that's not very common anyways), LoH (i've had to use it before on the tank if we get a bad defile and I need a quick heal while moving), or rebuff SS etc while moving, but thanks for the replies.

But in all honestly character movement keys are a protected function that addons probably will not go anywhere near. If you wanted to you could go in and rebind it every single time, but it would be the wrong way to go about it. Maybe read some articles about it and get some fresh ideas.

http://www.wow.com/2008/12/24/wow-ro...cter-controls/

http://www.wow.com/2010/02/25/wow-ro...nd-camera-use/

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

Different movement keys for different specs will confuse your brain and you will end up walking into fire. If you think you need this to perform, the culprit is not your movement keys, but some other concept that you've done with your bindings.

Actually you can rebind your keys via macros.

So you could use 2 macros.

One for holy that binds those to keyboardturning and equip your holy gear
    Another for ret that binds to strafing and equip your ret gear.

I can't remember the actual commands and I'm at work right now, so I can't access my macros.

If you send me a PM I will send you the command to do this.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Bossk7
    ... is there no way to have different movement keys for different specs, so I can use A D to strafe in ret, and A D to turn in Holy?
    Stop playing with Healbot and use grid with mouseover macros. So much easier and then you can turn with ur mouse all u want

Quote Originally Posted by Bossk7
    To start, i admit that while I feel, and have been told by even better players that I am an exceptional player, I click. It's a terrible habit, and I'm ready to rid myself of it. I main a paladin (Ret/Holy). However, if I'm keybinding in ret, and using wasd to strafe, and mouse to turn, that presents some problems for holy. I use Healbot for Holy, and I find keyboard turning more useful, so I never have to move my mouse off the HB to turn with the mouse (taking time away from casting heals, obviously), is there no way to have different movement keys for different specs, so I can use A D to strafe in ret, and A D to turn in Holy?
    Being a clicker is fine if you are holy as the rotation isn't that complex. But ya it is always great to learn keybindings so a applaud you for taking that big step. I don't think that there is a way currently to have macros set up in they way you are saying (kinda like the Dual Spec feature).

With that said it will always take practice and patience to get anything new down pat so give yourself some time! Working with the mouse to turn is not that hard and with some practice you'll see that you can do it as if it was second nature.

I think that it would be a good idea to do as some of the others have recommended and learn some mouseover macros for your healing.

Macro 1(Can Be Placed anywhere you like, even keybound)
    Code:
    #showtooltip Avenger's Shield
    /script local a=GetActiveTalentGroup();if(a==1)then UseEquipmentSet("Holy");SetActiveTalentGroup(2);else if(a==2)then UseEquipmentSet("ret");SetActiveTalentGroup(1);end
    /click MultiBarBottomRightButton2
    Macro 2(This MUST be placed on Action Bar 5, button 2 (the second one from the left or top) This can be changed by modifying the /click if you must, but it would be much easier to keep it as is )
    Code:
    /script local a,s,t,l,r,n=GetActiveTalentGroup(),"Strafe","Turn","Left","Right",nil;if(a==1)then n=SetBinding("A",s..l);n=SetBinding("D",s..r);else if(a==2)then n=SetBinding("A",t..l);n=SetBinding("D",t..r);end

Word of warning. This is untested, but it should do what you like
    I'll attempt to explain it :P

You will only click macro 1, macro 2 will simply swap your keybinds, but it works under the assumption that you are still in the process of swapping specs, hence the same logic as in the first macro.
    The first macro will swap your gearset depending on spec, and then "click" the second macro, which will swap your keybindings based on the spec your currently in.

This macro assumes that your Primary spec is Ret, and that your Secondary Spec is Holy. Tell me if this is a wrong assumption and I'll fix it for it to be the other way. It also assumes that you have two gear sets (utilizing the in-game gear-manager) names "Holy" and "ret", one for each spec.

Let me know if it works for you or not. Based on your post I think this is what you wanted
    -Bru

*EDIT!!!!!*
    The important thing to remember, is you ONLY click the Macro 1, if you click Macro 2, it'll get the toggle all off :P You only have to click once to swap into your holy spec/gear, and again to swap into your ret spec/gear