A few Arc PvP questions

Read title

1) How much spell penetration do you need?

2) What haste rating do you aim for?

3) How much hit rating (percentage) do you need to hit most? All (save CoS)?

4) What trinkets to use? (Battlemaster's Ruination vs Reign of the Dead/Unliving etc. etc)

5) What Rings to use?

Maybe I'll think of some others

Re: A few Arc PvP questions

1) Go look up the amount of resistance Mark of the Wild gives (look up what it is for those with Imp Mark of the Wild talent) and look up the amount of resistance things like Shadow Protection and Shadow Resistance Aura and Frost Resistance Totem, etc give. Make an informed decision based on these findings.

2) Depends on your level of PvP gear. Furious vs. Relentless vs. Wrathful

3) 4%

4) Depends on if you are a human or not

5) Ashen Verdict rep ring and a PvP ring. Which ring will depend on what stats you need.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Mathin
    Read title

1) How much spell penetration do you need?

2) What haste rating do you aim for?

3) How much hit rating (percentage) do you need to hit most? All (save CoS)?

4) What trinkets to use? (Battlemaster's Ruination vs Reign of the Dead/Unliving etc. etc)

5) What Rings to use?

Maybe I'll think of some others
    1) 120-130

2) haste isn't that important for arcane pvp as it is for frost, but i'd still say pick up ONLY the haste off-pieces

3) safest bet for hit is 5-6%

4) depends on the race. if you are human: dfo+RotU, for everyone else: reign+WG trinket

5) the ashen verdict exalted ring is a good choice for one and the wrathful is a good choice for the other
    BfA Beta Time

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle
    1) 120-130

2) haste isn't that important for arcane pvp as it is for frost, but i'd still say pick up ONLY the haste off-pieces

4) depends on the race. if you are human: dfo+RotU, for everyone else: reign+WG trinket

5) the ashen verdict exalted ring is a good choice for one and the wrathful is a good choice for the other
    QFT and stuff. Resilience pvp trinket may also be a good option since arcane mages are good at taking lots of damage. Depends on your own experiences, though, and how often you get pressured.

Allow me to clarify some of the details of my questions:

1) Do I need 130 Spell pen? There are no +130 resist totems/auras for arcane so unless I'm missing one the max arcane resist one can have is: 194. That's fighting a mage with mage armor, 2/2 Magic absorbtion, and MotW. Granted, I am a mage who would use mage armor and have 2/2 Magic Absorption and I have 140 resist. However, unless you're fighting a mage, the most resist a class can have is 54. Should I have 2 weapons? One for fighting mages and one for any other class?

2)I have 625, more or less?

3)I believe the base % chance to miss is 5% right? With all of the +hit (6%) I am hit capped.
    Paladin Divine Purpose gives them an extra 4% chance to be missed by spells and the BE racial is an extra 2%. So hypothetically you'd need 11% hit rating to never miss one of them. Are there any other classes that have similar talents? Can a paladin have more than 9% (11% BE)? (I guess rogues have 4% as well) Do I need to get gear for the 5%?

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Mathin
    Allow me to clarify some of the details of my questions:

1) Do I need 130 Spell pen? There are no +130 resist totems/auras for arcane so unless I'm missing one the max arcane resist one can have is: 194. That's fighting a mage with mage armor, 2/2 Magic absorbtion, and MotW. Granted, I am a mage who would use mage armor and have 2/2 Magic Absorption and I have 140 resist. However, unless you're fighting a mage, the most resist a class can have is 54. Should I have 2 weapons? One for fighting mages and one for any other class?

2)I have 625, more or less?

3)I believe the base % chance to miss is 5% right? With all of the +hit (6%) I am hit capped.
    Paladin Divine Purpose gives them an extra 4% chance to be missed by spells and the BE racial is an extra 2%. So hypothetically you'd need 11% hit rating to never miss one of them. Are there any other classes that have similar talents? Can a paladin have more than 9% (11% BE)? (I guess rogues have 4% as well) Do I need to get gear for the 5%?
    1) 120 spellpen is the base other mages SHOULD have against you with arcane mages having 140. i believe warlocks also fall into the 120 category, so to deal with most everyone in game, 120 is enough but 130 will guarantee you won't be resisted. anywhere in between the two points is perfect.

2) that's fine

3) hit reduction talents always factor in AFTER hit calculation, so no matter how much hit you have, you will have 2-3% chance to miss said classes/specs. 4-6% if all you'll need to get to 100% so the specs will only have a 2-3% chance to miss.
    BfA Beta Time

1) 120-130

QFT except for a few things.

7% is to hit Belfs/paladins/rogues. (Pretty sure its 9 for a belf paladin/rogue, but dont worry about that).

for 4, I personally prefer Dual Reign because its alot of burst on the same proc, instead of having to line CDs with DFO. If you arent human, I go with the Arcan
    5, Because Hit offsets are really shitty and should be avoided if possible, Id go with Ashen verdict since its pretty much a must, + the Blood prince heroic 25 man ring, but since your arcane, you get the 3% hit talent in most spec, and if you pick up a point in precision in the frost tree, and the ashen verdict ring, you can be at the cap.

But the main thing I disagree about is purely a comp matter. Getting locked out of arcane really sucks dick, especially against a team with a stun. I still put reckless ametrine in yellow sockets, and get a really healthy amount of haste if you are ever going to be casting. Fake cast is a possibility, but if you are asking such fundamental questions, or have high latency, i doubt you will be able to do it effectively.

3) hit reduction talents always factor in AFTER hit calculation, so no matter how much hit you have, you will have 2-3% chance to miss said classes/specs. 4-6% if all you'll need to get to 100% so the specs will only have a 2-3% chance to miss.
    quoted for learning something new.

I was wrong