Wild Magic popping

Ok, so being the typical lock I am, I pop NMIC and a potion before the fight starts, allowing me to use a second potion during the fight... however my guild (for fights like festergut) don't pop hero during execute so my question is:

Should I pop my 2nd potion when they pop hero, or should I wait for execute phase, regardless?
    (Currently am popping during execute, yet I've been questioning it more as of lately)

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Wild Magic popping

Pop it when NMIC is up again, around 35% so you can benefit from Death's Embrace.

R.I.P. YARG

I don't use NMIC, but shouldn't you pop that right before you cast Corruption?...and isn't the norm being locks cast sb x3 then haunt before you cast Corruption?

Would you still have time left before WM falls off...I forget how long it lasts (12 or 15s)

Quote Originally Posted by Krunklock
    I don't use NMIC, but shouldn't you pop that right before you cast Corruption?...and isn't the norm being locks cast sb x3 then haunt before you cast Corruption?

Would you still have time left before WM falls off...I forget how long it lasts (12 or 15s)
    well in my case, casting 3 times sb haunt would basically make nmic useless as i'd be reducing the crit value my corruption would get. as well, most locks start with a sb to get the 5% crit buff, then apply dots, haunt etc.

also gonna try what you said gherkin, never thought of that one

Quote Originally Posted by Garamor

well in my case, casting 3 times sb haunt would basically make nmic useless as i'd be reducing the crit value my corruption would get. as well, most locks start with a sb to get the 5% crit buff, then apply dots, haunt etc.

also gonna try what you said gherkin, never thought of that one
    You are sort of right yet wrong... what you want to do is pop your potion before the fight -> sb -> sb -> haunt -> NMIC -> corruption... gives you the full benefit of NMIC on corruption plus you get the 5% crit from sb and you get your 3 stacks and haunt buff = gg

15+ Year Old Account

Life Tap
    Wild Magic
    Shadow Bolt
    <Combat Starts>
    Haunt
    UA
    Agony
    Shadow Bolt
    NMIC
    Corruption (hoping to god that devious minds proc'd - if it didnt, its not worth delaying for)

<DPS DPS DPS>

<Boss 35% or under, NMIC comes off cooldown>
    <Wait for Devious Minds>
    Seed of Corruption
    Life Tap (or any instant filler)
    Wild Magic
    NMIC
    Corruption

R.I.P. YARG

Usually you don't have to seed <35% and it's most likely always best to pot around <35%(ideally with a 10% Devious Minds Proc) and straight cast another corruption, then continue with your cycle.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by swiftowner
    You are sort of right yet wrong... what you want to do is pop your potion before the fight -> sb -> sb -> haunt -> NMIC -> corruption... gives you the full benefit of NMIC on corruption plus you get the 5% crit from sb and you get your 3 stacks and haunt buff = gg
    Shadow Embrace properly updates, as it is a debuff on the target. Thus two shadow bolts are not required and the haunt is only there to account for shadow bolt travel time. You also need to wait for Haunt to hit the target otherwise NMIC might be used by Haunt, giving you 16% instead of 20% crit on corruption. Thus why we use UA (which is also affected by Crit)

The rule of thumb for any "on hit" spell with a travel time is:
    /Cast Spell --> /Cast Filler --> /Cast Actual spell you want buffed

In this case, you also want to proc Devious minds, so you delay Corruption as much as possible.

R.I.P. YARG

I know this is a function of fight time but I don't know the numbers off hand. At what point, if ever, is it more optimal to wait for Devious minds to proc and then pot/NMIC versus prepotting as outlined above? Doing the former you put yourself in the hands of the RNG gods, waste valuable ticks of Corruption at a lower crit rating, and lose your second pot. However, an extra 10% damage on your Corruption for the first 55-60% of a fight is nothing to sneeze at either.

I'd be interested to see this worked out if anyone has done it, assuming a single target fight of say five minutes. Any gain of waiting for Devious Minds is RNG dependent but on average I suspect it's better for fights at around the five minute mark. When I get some time later next week I'll work this out if someone hasn't already.

My off-topic though helpful response would be to use NMIC -> Unstable Affliction -> Corruption, since UA also benefits from NMIC and it gives tou time to wait for a Devious Minds Proc without wasting DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin
    Life Tap
    Wild Magic
    Shadow Bolt
    <Combat Starts>
    Haunt
    UA
    Agony
    Shadow Bolt
    NMIC
    Corruption (hoping to god that devious minds proc'd - if it didnt, its not worth delaying for)
    I don't know why I never thought of that... just want to thank everyone for their input here

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Milyardo
    My off-topic though helpful response would be to use NMIC -> Unstable Affliction -> Corruption, since UA also benefits from NMIC and it gives tou time to wait for a Devious Minds Proc without wasting DPS.
    20% crit for one UA. Given that you still need to wait for 3 seconds for UA to proc and thus must use non-DD spells for this duration, and the only one you can use is Agony, it means you spend 1.5 seconds doing zero dps, or lifetapping uselessly. It is more dps to add a shadow bolt in there and pop NMIC after.

R.I.P. YARG