Worth rolling Priest?

Hey,

Me and a friend are transfering tommorow and i'm going to make a new alt on that realm (Priest) as it is the only class I havn't played and the only class the interests me, I'm going to be shadow but is it worth it? I often think shadow is a bit UP when i watch dps vids, no big crits or such, not to sound like a FOTM roller but if i gear and play the class properly, will i be able to do high amounts of dps?

ty
    The battle raged on and on,
    Fuelled by the venom, of hatred for man..

Re: Worth rolling Priest?

Dot specs are known for their big hits dude. -_-

Though mindblasts can hit like a truck, not like mage/warlock big, but nonetheless satisfying.

Who knows what the screens of raiding spriests will look like in Cata, that Spike stuff looks like big numbers.

Play shadow if you care about having fun while raiding, still shadow priests deal pretty decent dps, you may not be on the top with mages, rogues and warlocks at all times but you can still compete with other classes. You can however, own all the classes if you are attacking more than one target with high amounts of health.

Shadow priests are all about timing and knowing how to do your rotation right in order to deal good dps, so again, if you care about having fun and truly learning to use a class then roll a shadow priest, if not, then don't even bother.

Also, with Vampiric Embrace, you can laugh at all of the DPS who die due to raid damage while you ignore it and keep on smacking the boss and healing yourself up.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

leveling shadow is a little slow imo, but once geared the fuck out at lv 80, you will top the meters right under mages and rogues depending on the fights if you master the rotation. pretty fun to play

Quote Originally Posted by Axestorm
    I often think shadow is a bit UP when i watch dps vids, no big crits or such, not to sound like a FOTM roller but if i gear and play the class properly, will i be able to do high amounts of dps?
    IMO, I think Spriest has a higher EffortPS ratio than other classes and specs. They can crank out some really great damage these days with the right gear/stats but they do take more effort than pure "rotation" classes. So you work a little harder to get the same or a little more than other classes. I haven't played Shadow in a very, very long time but I do read up on them a lot and know many reallllyyy good Spriests and it just seems this way to me. Maybe someone else can concur.

In the end, you won't know if you like it until you try it. No one can tell you if it will be worth it in that department. It is definitely worth it though if you want a useful DPS class/spec.

EX - <PIE CHART> US TOP 10 Check 'em out http://piechart-guild.com/

might as well, everyone else has

most people are horrible, useless priests though.

Oh well we don't have big crits but when you see like 4crits in less than 2secs it's immpresive (4x5k is like 1x20k...right?)

I have a 60 twink priest, just new not two OP. Rape the hell out of every1. I leveled it as a twink now im levleing a second as a main. Dis/Shadow duel spec. Dis is fun watching people try to kill me... with pennence cd reduced to 8seconds obv.

I admit i got 560SP as shadow at 60. crit 2.4k max. Quiet often i got 2/3 does on and im like silence mind blast he has 4k hp i aint killing him.... he dies... im usualy dumbfounded at what the hell happened.

2.3k isnt great, locks my level crit 4-5k but throw in dot ticks my 2.3k with ticks same second amke the 2.3k into almost a 4k. and with all 3 dot sup and mind flay i swear i see 4-5k hp drop in 1 flay.

I have to say playing a sp is hella fun, i was getting sooooo freaking bored on my ele/enhance shaman i dont feel like playing my shaman at all.

Only been lvl 80 for 14 hours and my sp is at a 4.4k gs, never had this much fun playing a class since pre bc on my pally (ret bomb spec).

i like threads such like these people spread what they love about the shadowpriest ^^ well i would never trade him for any class/spec ever

shadowpriests are fun ;D
    Black is what darkness looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by volunthas
    i like threads such like these people spread what they love about the shadowpriest ^^ well i would never trade him for any class/spec ever

shadowpriests are fun ;D
    Would you trade it for a klondike bar?

Play some affliction lock, pretty much the same as that.

Spriests can do big DPS, their specialty is multi-mob + AoE fights. Single target they're a tad behind the other core DPS classes.

Yeah, priest is a class deffo worth rerolling to. It has 3 REALLY great and fun specs, and 2 of those will serve you really well in PvP. You said you want to be shadow, well it can pull out really decent DPS and it's biggest advantage is surviability... most of the time I was the last man dieing on wipes and sometimes even last man standing on kills when I was raiding.
    Other than that priest as class is really lovable and it gets LOTS of fun stuff in Cata if for example Life grip makes it to official release :P We have tons of fun stuff like mind control, levitate and also Sform looks IMBA!

+ keep in mind that if you get bored with DPSing you can always go healing which as priest is fun too! (in TBC I raided for first half of it as disc and second as shadow, was good tiems )

Quote Originally Posted by G l o w y r m
    IMO, I think Spriest has a higher EffortPS ratio than other classes and specs. They can crank out some really great damage these days with the right gear/stats but they do take more effort than pure "rotation" classes. So you work a little harder to get the same or a little more than other classes. I haven't played Shadow in a very, very long time but I do read up on them a lot and know many reallllyyy good Spriests and it just seems this way to me. Maybe someone else can concur.

In the end, you won't know if you like it until you try it. No one can tell you if it will be worth it in that department. It is definitely worth it though if you want a useful DPS class/spec.
    i concur. shadowpriest are ALOT of fun. although they take a bit of practice to master full single target dps. i've seen near identical gear people do ~600 dps different because one person was better at not clipping mindflay and/or dots. also gear is a huge factor at the top end. i've played on (not being a GS addict but its a valid way to show differentiation in stacking of stats/better designed gears ability to effect dps output) 2 shadowpriest each at 6k GS. Mine i pug so i have 264 gear but not the trinkets or stacking of haste gear like my friend who raids. i can pull easily 2k more on his just because he has 1100 haste + DFO and sindragosa procs comapred to my 800 haste and lootship trinket/reign of the dead.