Tanking as a lvling paladin ?

So, how do i go about it?.... at 25 now....

i oom way to fast, and i keep loosing aggro.

Deleted

Re: Tanking as a lvling paladin ?

Go ret until 40.

ret till 50 imo, but don't tank as pallies in the early levels there is a reason we didn't do it back in vanilla/start of tbc. and the talents up there haven't changed to huge amounts since then.
    I'm glad to have multiple personalities, if i didn't i would be talking to myself, and that's just insane.

10+ Year Old Account

I tanked as paladin from lvl 10 up to 80 easily. You just gotta live with using the right buffs and seals.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Ive been doing this on my paladin, who is now level 53, since i was 20.
    i have to say, its been a lot of fun, very easy, and goes relatively fast.

to keep aggro, all you have to do is put down consecrate every time its up. thats it.
    you do run out of mana quickly at first, but once you have Blessing of Sanctuary, you should almost never.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathflame
    Go ret until 40.
    He isn't asking how to level a paladin, he wants to know how to improve in tanking stuff while leveling. And actually, one should play prot until 50 or 60, then switch to ret fir optimal leveling.

OP: That's a common problem, about the mana, i suggest you stack up on potions, those are pretty cheap on my realm. And about aggro, get the addon quick mark, it'll help you mark stuff faster and hopefully people will focus on that since you don't have that much aoe capabilities yet.

Another idea might be, go for seal of command and just spec retribution. That way you should be able to hold 3 mobs easily.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Xenocastra
    He isn't asking how to level a paladin, he wants to know how to improve in tanking stuff while leveling. And actually, one should play prot until 50 or 60, then switch to ret fir optimal leveling.

OP: That's a common problem, about the mana, i suggest you stack up on potions, those are pretty cheap on my realm. And about aggro, get the addon quick mark, it'll help you mark stuff faster and hopefully people will focus on that since you don't have that much aoe capabilities yet.

Another idea might be, go for seal of command and just spec retribution. That way you should be able to hold 3 mobs easily.
    Ret > Prot for tanking until at least 40, most likely 50. Stop assuming I'm telling him to go DPS.

just a pointer... i AM specced retri atm.... since i read up on the issue as lvling paladin... i normally heal on my shaman or druid, so i might go holy later on here to. but atm , i like tanking.

Quote Originally Posted by mikabob
    So, how do i go about it?.... at 25 now....

i oom way to fast, and i keep loosing aggro.

At level 30-31, switch to protection spec for the sanctuary buff. It'll help you get your mana back.

And on the ret thing, you CAN tank till level 50, but its a better idea to switch at 30 for Sanc, or at level 40 for holy shield.

They're really good, and are invaluable while tanking. I leveled prot, completely, and I never hated it. I didn't lose aggro, nor did my health dip.

learn to manage your blessings, seals and judgements better.

Prot leveling has always been one of the best ways to level paladins... especially now with dungeon finder.

Not sure how viable AOE grinding is with prot, but i recall it was the fastest way if you are able to find a good tight area with fast spawning melee mobs
    It's just a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Amgyn
    learn to manage your blessings, seals and judgements better.

Prot leveling has always been one of the best ways to level paladins... especially now with dungeon finder.

Not sure how viable AOE grinding is with prot, but i recall it was the fastest way if you are able to find a good tight area with fast spawning melee mobs
    prot is hands down the best AoE griding spec of the three.

For prot leveling, get glyph of Seal of Command. IMO BoSanc and Holy Shield aren't worth it to lose SoC for. I stayed ret until Dire Maul, healers never had any issue even with a full clear of BRD.

Also make sure you realize that you don't need to dump abilities into a mob until it dies. Watch omen and let dps get close before you blow all your mana.

Nothing can shake my believe that this world is the fruit of a dark god whose shadow I extend -- Emil Cioran

15+ Year Old Account

Wrote this only a few days ago in another thread:

Paladin tanking while leveling:

Equipment:
    - Generally put, there is no need in stam stacking before lvl 80. Sure, you should have a good amount of it, but do not neglect avoidance/threat/dps for it.
    - try to have some amount of hit (up to 5%), it really helps with initial aggro on pulls. (Simple Pearl Ring and Amulet of Truesight for the early levels)

1-39: mail with stam/str/agi (all three are worth about the same)
    40-57: plate with stam/str/agi (all three are worth about the same)
    58-59: Before you do the first Outland Instance, try upgrade your old items with the various quest rewards from Hellfire Peninsula. There is a big difference in stats.
    60-67: plate with stam/str/agi and now you should get your hands on some items with defense rating (take the def trinket from the Arazzius quest, you will most likely have it until lvl 80)
    68-69: see 58-59
    70+: Get yourself the Cobalt Set from a Blacksmith and you're good to go for WotLK instances.

Talents & Spells
    1-39:
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...3oyLh,ta,11723
    possibly shift 2pts from Heart of the Crusader to Vindication
    Seal of Command with Glyph, Consecration only on pulls with 4 or more mobs (and most of the time only once). Preferable Judgement of Wisdom, but if the healer struggles use Judgement of Light. Second major Glyph could also be Concsecration

This is basically a standard ret spec, so can just continue it for soloing and buy dual spec at 40 for your tank spec.

40-70:
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...11,waf3-,11723
    possibly shift 3pts to Imp. Devotion Aura, either from Reckoning and/or Imp. Hammer of Justice. But a shorter stun cd and more dps/threat is better. Reckoning is a bad threat talent at higher levels, but early on when you do a lot of auto-attacking, it is really good
    Seal of Wisdom, Judgement of Light, Blessing of Sanctuary, Holy Shield. The mana return from Seal of Wisdom, Blessing of Sanctuary and Spiritual Attunement is so good, that you can spam Consecration and not go oom.

71-80:
    respec to http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...sW,wrf3-,11723
    and fill up to http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...RD,wrH3-,11723 (Retribution first)
    This is the standard lvl 80 tank spec.
    Seal of Command for Trash, Seal of Vengeance/Corruption for single target. If your group is up to it, try to chain-pull so Divine Plea does not run out. With DP permanently up, you should not have any mana problems.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

I went 1-80 as prot here are tips
    -Ret aura gives you more threat so good for aoe tanking
    -seal of wisdom and judge wisdom if you got mana problems
    -lay of cons as much as possible