Killing Machine and Rime on Single Target

On a single target boss, what is the correct thing to do with Rime procs - HB or what? And, what if KM and Rime proc together and both are available?

Thanks

Re: Killing Machine and Rime on Single Target

Killing Machine = Frost strike

Rime = Howling Blast

Killing Machine + Rime = Howling Blast

To stay on topic, even though the pies look really good, what is the reasoning behind doing HB when both procs are active? I tend to find myself in this predicament while raiding. One reason i can think of is that HB and FS crits are essentially equal in damage BUT since rime will give you that damage without wasting any resources it would be optimal. So it boils down to resource management instead of damage. Am i correct?

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoTabasco
    Good lord that looks good...i shouldnt have skipped lunch today!!
    No worries, my Self-Acclaimed-World-Famous E-Pie will fill you up for hours!

Quote Originally Posted by Valiath
    To stay on topic, even though the pies look really good, what is the reasoning behind doing HB when both procs are active? I tend to find myself in this predicament while raiding. One reason i can think of is that HB and FS crits are essentially equal in damage BUT since rime will give you that damage without wasting any resources it would be optimal. So it boils down to resource management instead of damage. Am i correct?

Yep, all about using HB on a Rime proc, if KM procs as well, that's just a free crit for no resources.
    Vek'nilash/Skywall US

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoTabasco
    Killing Machine = Frost strike

Rime = Howling Blast

Killing Machine + Rime = Howling Blast

LOL. You guys rock! Appreciate the input. I had an error in my original post. I meant to say Rime in the first part instead of KM. I changed it. Ofc you do FS on KM only. My bad.

You pretty much let Rime fall off and don't use HB on a single target fight. You try to let your KMs eaten up by your frost strike.

If you have a completely free gcd for some reason, all your runes are down, and rime is up, shoot an HB. But any of your other buttons is more useful. It's last on your priority list except for Horn.

10+ Year Old Account

This thread is boggling my mind, since when does HB do more damage as a crit than a double critting FS? Are you not supposed to only use Rime procs on single target if you're both out of RP and all runes are on CD?

Quote Originally Posted by Keile
    A Critical HB does more damage than a critical FS (generally; it's not by much), however wasting RUNES on it is a dps loss as an obliterate hits harder than a HB.
    Rime talent makes it so you don't consume runes when you use HB.
    They should make this game harder. Maybe before you log in they ask you questions before you can enter the world, questions like: "When KCl is put into solution (aka added to purified water) and a slight current is added what precipitates form at the cathode and anode?"

15+ Year Old Account

The reasoning behind it who, is the fact that you are getting a free crit that does nearly identical damage as a KM-FS, along with not using that Runic Power, which leads to more KM-FS later if you get some lucky RNG.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagnarius
    Rime talent makes it so you don't consume runes when you use HB.
    Reading comprehension fail?

I'm saying that you only use HB when Rime is procced. You should never use it otherwise because you do more DPS using the runes for an oblit than for an HB.

So the only time you should HB during a single target is when you get Rime+KM, otherwise it's not a priority and you only use the Rime proc once you have finished putting your runes on CD.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

I'm pretty sure the question is now, why not use FS if you have both Rime AND KM at the same time, so that FS crits, then you can use HB right after for a potential crit (or not, doesnt really matter) and net gain in dps, assuming rune management is proper.

So.. FS crit + HB vs HB crit. Who wins?

No one's talking about using HB without rime, fyi.

Ok so here is what you should do

Priorities (Only showing Procs)

KM- FS
    KM+Rime- FS, if no runic power to FS then use HB
    Rime- ignore unless all your runes are on CD and you don't have enough RP for FS

Reason being a KM FS is your hardest hitting ability. This takes priority over all other things. Using a Rime proc wastes a GCD that could be used casting an OB or FS which hit harder.

Signature Gallery
    Warriors are the manliest, badass class. If you are a man, you have a warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by sexy_fish

KM- FS
    Rime- ignore unless all your runes are on CD and you don't have enough RP for FS

Reason being a KM FS is your hardest hitting ability. This takes priority over all other things. Using a Rime proc wastes a GCD that could be used casting an OB or FS which hit harder.
    I'm glad to see that I wasn't the only one a little unsure on the right thing to do. All agree on this post ^?

Quote Originally Posted by sexy_fish

KM- FS

This is the correct way to use it. The reason behind this is that with 251-277 weapons, FS/OB will hit harder with or without a KM then HB will.

This has always been the issue with an Melee that has %weapon damage abilities. In early Naxx, HB was king due to it not having a CD and that the weapon damage on weapons provided was very low (not to mention no ToT). Weapons tend scale better due to the fact that is is a flat percent, so in later tier, the damage range of a weapon will provide more then the actual attack power.

FS is straight Weapon Damage
    HB is Set Damage + %AP

If you remember this is why at the end of the expansion, melee seem to be higher on the DPS charts (or pwn in pvp like Rets in 3.0). You will once again see the same thing if new %weapon damage abilities are added in 4.0.

If you get an Addon like Dr Damage you can see the numbers for yourself.

EDIT: Because I can not spell HIGHER
    I don't heal STUPID, Stupid SHOULD HURT!
    Syntyche - Disc Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Apostolic
    This is the correct way to use it. The reason behind this is that with 251-277 weapons, FS/OB will hit harder with or without a KM then HB will.

This has always been the issue with an Melee that has %weapon damage abilities. In early Naxx, HB was king due to it not having a CD and that the weapon damage on weapons provided was very low (not to mention no ToT). Weapons tend scale better due to the fact that is is a flat percent, so in later tier, the damage range of a weapon will provide more then the actual attack power.

FS is straight Weapon Damage
    HB is Set Damage + %AP

If you remember this is why at the end of the expansion, melee seem to be hire on the DPS charts (or pwn in pvp like Rets in 3.0). You will once again see the same thing if new %weapon damage abilities are added in 4.0.

If you get an Addon like Dr Damage you can see the numbers for yourself.
    Thx for the collaboration buddy
    This is also why two patches ago you saved you rimes till u got KM and then used HB...priorities change with each change of tier.

Signature Gallery
    Warriors are the manliest, badass class. If you are a man, you have a warrior.