Page 1 of 2
LastLast

World Of Warcraft On The iPad? How Can This Be?

Re: World Of Warcraft On The iPad? How Can This Be?

im pretty sure its a stream.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lascer
    I don't always drink tears, but when i do, i prefer undead's.

Stay feared my friends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q-5IlanptE&feature=player_embedded#!
    more here

Laggy as fuck, no thanks.
    "Your country is like an old maid servant; accustomed to being raped by everyone." - Napoleon

10+ Year Old Account

"David Perry shows off a picture of World of Warcraft running on an iPad, made possible by the streaming technology of his newer company, Gaikai."

Streaming, says right in the first sentence.

10+ Year Old Account

Pretty stupid if you ask me...

don't be amazing , just remote screen as you knows.

I heard they played crysis through an iPhone
    But your eyes are drawn of charcoal they're black they're so cold they're so imperfect because they see a sleeping world where waking isn't worth it

Quote Originally Posted by doskoi
    don't be amazing , just remote screen as you knows.
    However, as the article suggested. This way you can still dps when you have to shit between trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Crashtestdummy
    im pretty sure its a stream.
    the whole point of the technology is being able to stream on a low performance machine from high performance servers.

it'd be laggy as shit though.

It's simple remote desktop. Lacking keyboard and mouse and with ~5000ms lag it's totally unplayable, but can be used for "/dance" like in the video, or chatting in guild channel. For gaming? No way in hell.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfries
    the whole point of the technology is being able to stream on a low performance machine from high performance servers.

it'd be laggy as shit though.
    But the important thing is not the fact of how well it runs, but that it is running. Technology isn't about getting it right on the first try(or we'd be fucked right now), its about innovating and pushing towards new technologies. So even though at this very moment it may not run as well as we'd like it too, it shows the possibilities the near future holds for portable game play and different ways of implementing current technology.

fake. cant login to the same wow account at the same time. the iPad is simply a live feed of what's happening right infront of him. if i had to guess i say he had a webcam filming the monitor screen connected to some sort of wifi or bluetooth that was wireless connected to the iPad that was showing on the screen what the webcam sees on the monitor.

in other words:

Monitor -- Webcam -- wireless connection to iPad = livestream.

when he typed /dance im pretty sure he had a macro that he clicked when the iPad keyboard was covering his UI.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

Quote Originally Posted by Abuani21
    But the important thing is not the fact of how well it runs, but that it is running. Technology isn't about getting it right on the first try(or we'd be fucked right now), its about innovating and pushing towards new technologies. So even though at this very moment it may not run as well as we'd like it too, it shows the possibilities the near future holds for portable game play and different ways of implementing current technology.
    No matter what, though, it's still an ipad.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingbear_grimbatol
    fake. cant login to the same wow account at the same time. the iPad is simply a live feed of what's happening right infront of him. if i had to guess i say he had a webcam filming the monitor screen connected to some sort of wifi or bluetooth that was wireless connected to the iPad that was showing on the screen what the webcam sees on the monitor.

in other words:

Monitor -- Webcam -- wireless connection to iPad = livestream.

when he typed /dance im pretty sure he had a macro that he clicked when the iPad keyboard was covering his UI.
    lol you're completely wrong. but yeah. uh..dont remember what i was gonna say

Quote Originally Posted by mrfries
    lol you're completely wrong. but yeah. uh..dont remember what i was gonna say
    please explain why? there's no reason to say anything if you can't PROVE something, or atleast give a reason you believe so so we can /laugh at you.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingbear_grimbatol
    please explain why? there's no reason to say anything if you can't PROVE something, or atleast give a reason you believe so so we can /laugh at you.
    Wow not sure if your trying to troll or if you really are that dumb, incase its the latter, its not webcams or any weird stuff you said its just a streaming technology as people have allready said.

It's a technology that streams a video of the program to another source and allows the other source to interact back, basicly the ipad is working as moniter and controler and the actual processing is on the computer.

EDIT: Curse my grammar/spelling

And as for quality it is completley awfull, but only currently, if it is possible to get it working well it will be a wonderful thing as you will be able to play high spec games on any computer that can run a web browser efficiently.

VPN. The same technology that has allowed people to play wow on mobile devices for a year or two now -- i.e. iphone/ipod touch. I use to mess around with it in class and used my iphone to check mail, my auctions, do some quests on a low level toon, etc.

Gaikai simply takes it a step further. It's not "new" technology, merely technology that has been taken to a new level. It utilizes cloud computing to an extent.

In short, as someone who has seen the Gaikai service in use: It's remote desktop management. Said game/app is hosted on a server that you'll have access to through a web browser. So say you want to play wow through Gaikai - you'll access the website, the server starts your game up and takes you to the login screen, and you sign in and begin playing.

The company promises little to no lag but that is debatable from what I've experienced. As it is now in its simplistic form, data travels between you and the Blizzard servers. With Gaikai it travels between their servers to Blizzard, and then to you - the claim by their CEO that they've developed "cutting edge technology" to actually make lag less than if you were playing it on your computer is laughable.

The same man has made claims that their new technology can make it so that you'll experience the game as if playing on the most technologically advanced computer that you were never able to afford and somehow they'll be able to pass on the full experience to you - sound, video and game settings at the absolute max allowed, etc and no matter what computer or mobile device that you play on, they can pass that same experience on to you, unhindered by your device's inability to accomplish that feat on its own. In an employee morale boost meeting, he compared it to buying a desktop at Walmart, signing into Gaikai, and having the experience be as if you were playing on a $5,000 gaming rig with a fios connection.

Though on a side note, the CEO has stated that their revenue intent is to entice users into a "Pay-as-you-go" model - simply, you'll essentially be charged per hour of use. Models are being developed for users to buy chunks of time and HpM package deals. HpM for Hours per Month, i.e. for $50/month you'll be allowed to use their services for X-Hours a month.

Their intention is to also restrict or prevent individuals with slow or spotty internet connections from utilizing the Gaikai services. Stability tests will be done on all potential clients before being permitted to utilize their services and also periodically during use (of course assuming you pass the initial test). Those that have less than ideal connections on the initial test will either be outright turned down or restricted in use of Gaikai. If you pass the initial test but then turn out to have a spotty signal or regularly drop connection/your IP uses packet stuffing - refer to the above sentence. As of right now, if you qualify for Gaikai on the connection you have at say home, and then go to visit family (who has a weaker connection, lets say) and attempt to use Gaikai, you will be denied use. This naturally disenfranchises rural players, those who use wifi, and weaker connections. The claim here is that allowing use by such individuals would hinder the ability of people faster connections to truly enjoy their game(s).

There's some other caveats to Gaikai but I'm sure the point is made.

TL;DR - Gaikai is nothing but revamped VPN, I know, I've worked Gaikai and OTOY as a consultant. My college roommate works for OnLive, two of their competitors.

the ipad aint NEARLY powerful enuff to play wow... noty!
    I've no idea what to write here.