Raid boss "friendly spash damage"

A few thoughts crossed my mind today when ina heroic..

we had a warlock casting SOC on single targets, so i was wondering, when it exlodes..where does the damage go?

howcome when i aoe the tnak aint affected by it?

So it got me thinking, it'd be silly if all AoE was to hurt friendlies. however what would it be like if a certain boss put a debuff on players so that they could but hit by their own AoE?

just random thoughts for a cata boss ability, but y'know worth posting maybe

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Raid boss "friendly spash damage"

Sounds like a really cool idea. But would be hard to implement, since it would hit some classes way harder (ret pallies, arms) than others (non fire mages, rogues)

Its an interesting idea, agreed that it would however be shitty for some classes and no big deal for others, ala rogues who wouldn't be able to use a major dps CD (blade flurry) etc. Might not work for that reason.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

It's an interesting idea but one I believe to have been executed more creatively through other mechanics such as the last boss in Forge of Souls and Pit of Saron.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhurn
    Its an interesting idea, agreed that it would however be shitty for some classes and no big deal for others, ala rogues who wouldn't be able to use a major dps CD (blade flurry) etc. Might not work for that reason.
    As if everything is a big deal for everyone.....oh noes this boss is immune to fire damage....oh wait I am a melee I don't deal fire damage!

Now imagine a Dk tank, and a heavy melee group, boy would people be pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by wooshiewoo
    Bosses/Mobs putting debuffs on players or buffs on themselves so that a player's own ability hurts himself or other players has been used since Vanilla and occurs all over the place.

Have you never seen it before in any place you have ever played in WoW?
    Black Temple is my first thought....

But I think he means like if you AoE the friendly targets in your AoE zone will take AoE damage along with the enemies and stuffs like that, not so hitting the boss with single target abilities will damage someone in your raid/or yourself

EDIT: They could have like lots of adds that needs to be AoE'd that spawn during the boss fight at the same time the boss cast the AoE debuff on half the raid or something

Seems simple enough, but I think it would feel unnecessarily messy ingame. The end result would just be "stop dps now" or "don't use any AoE on this fight", which can both be achieved more easily through simpler mechanics.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

Could be an interesting combat. I can see a whole lot of hassle for melee classes though. Having to farm frost resist sets for trash just so you can resist your own mages blizzards.

Seriously, its an interesting idea, but not sure that it would be one that would translate into WoW very well. They are looking at making packs less about aoeing enormous groups, so it could actually work well as a deterrent for that. Would have to be very carefully thought through though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zao
    Sounds like a really cool idea. But would be hard to implement, since it would hit some classes way harder (ret pallies, arms) than others (non fire mages, rogues)
    could still work if the boss required AoE on adds or if he takes more dmg from AoE, then this debuff would force the dps to switch between AoE and single targeting.

sounds like a fun mechanic to me
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." (Albert Einstein)

Quote Originally Posted by Dhurn
    You know, there used to be fights in the game where popping all your major dps cooldowns and killing stuff as fast as you can was far less important than doing the strategy properly an executing right.
    Fights where the raid has to pay attention enough to stop attacking at the right time.

And it wouldnt be just melee farming frost resist sets necessarily. he said boss fights, not an entire dungeon... its called: people wouldnt be allowed to aoe during that time. It would be one of those "strategy first, nuke later" things.
    If a boss dumps 10 mobs on you at once and then puts a debuff on everyone that makes it so they take friendly aoe damage for 20 seconds, you'd have to create a pretty good strat to solve the problem.

I agree there would be a neat idea, although the implementation would need a lot more details and tweaking before its actually awesome

It's an interesting idea, not sure how well it would work in practise though.

It would also be extremely limited to a single boss(more bosses of the sort would feel too similar), since it would require a constant spawning of adds, which would need to be AoE'd down or they'd overrun your raid. Single-targetting wouldn't be an option due to either the large number of adds, or their spawn time compared to the boss' health.