Professions for me?

Hey guys, well I started a priest on a new server for a fresh start. Contemplating best professions I can possibly level

I'm planning to go shadow pvp mainspec, while disc pve offspec.

I'm stuck between Engineering, Tailoring, and Jewelcrafting and trying to figure out which two would be the best for what I just said above. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Re: Professions for me?

New servers suck when you don't have the gold to bring with you. Engineering and Tailoring are your best choices, but Engineering's a little expensive.

Whatever you do, don't drop Tailoring. Not only is it the best caster profession in the game at the moment, it's also the method you'll need to "reforge" your gear for stat priority shifts come 4.0's launch.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    New servers suck when you don't have the gold to bring with you. Engineering and Tailoring are your best choices, but Engineering's a little expensive.

Whatever you do, don't drop Tailoring. Not only is it the best caster profession in the game at the moment, it's also the method you'll need to "reforge" your gear for stat priority shifts come 4.0's launch.
    Sweet, they're giving tailoring stat re-allocation? And I know, but I went to it to pvp. I'll try hard to level it. Im fine with it being expensive though

Tailoring, Leatherworking, and Blacksmithing are what's getting "Reforging" for your gear. Jewelcrafting may have benefit to your neckpeices and rings (unconfirmed), but generally you'll wear more cloth than off-peices anyways, thus you want Tailoring to work that cloth.

Tailoring, Leatherworking, and Blacksmithing are what's getting "Reforging" for your gear. Jewelcrafting may have benefit to your neckpeices and rings (unconfirmed), but generally you'll wear more cloth than off-peices anyways, thus you want Tailoring to work that cloth.
    From what I've read, each profession will have a specific type of armor they can reforge, like tailoring can only reforge tailoring cloth. I think engineering was another one, but I am not confident.

Engineering may get ranged slots, or even weapons/offhands/shields.
    And I think you meant to say "tailoring can only reforge cloth" :P

Yea I did, but if we assume that each one, Tailoring, LW, and BS, gets only 1 item to reforge, that would probably leave mail out. Again, I am not sure on the eng thing, but I think it was included in the 4 for the armor types.

Not necessesarily, because Leatherworking altedy makes both Leather and Mail from 40 onward; it's not that far of a stretch for both

15+ Year Old Account

Unless you plan to become a hardcore raider or PvPr, I'd say hold off man.

I would usually never say this as I used to be/can be/probably still am an elitist bastard, but I've gone casual till Cata so my PoV has shifted. The expansion is close, Professions are getting make-overs which are still in Alpha so we can't be sure till pretty much release what they will be like. I'd honestly hold off because if you go for the two "best" ones, it will take ages on a new server or cost a lot of gold which you don't have to blow.

Grab Mining and Herbalism, make some gold, be happy.

Deleted

Engineering and Jewelcrafting, without a doubt.

15+ Year Old Account

IIRC, Engineering will get to reforge trinkets.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud
    IIRC, Engineering will get to reforge trinkets.
    this is what i heard as well, but unconfirmed as of now
    Quote Originally Posted by Scimitar View Post
    Someone believes the earth is flat, call them stupid.
    Someone believes Andorra is in Africa, call them uneducated.
    Someone believes you can go make coffee in the back of your car because it's set on "autopilot", call them retarded.
    But if someone believes a magical bearded man rewards you with eternal life in the clouds as long as you drink the magical whine-blood of a long dead carpenter in church, don't you dare argue with his beliefs.

It doesn't really matter what you pick to be honest. All professions bring you something. The only ones I'd recommend avoiding as a briest is LW and BS. Mostly because the output is utterly useless to you.

Enchanting was a hit in WoTLK. Sure, it doesn't really get you much, and you automatically share your true benefit - disenchanting - with everyone. And the mats market is all but dead. But - it's not a bad profession. I definitively enjoy having it.

On the other hand, tailoring was mostly useless. Naxx killed all crafted professions to be honest, and it took until 3.1 before the back enchants got any good. Worse, tailoring is like enchanting, only none of the stuff you make is useful, nobody want it, and there is no disenchanting-like benefit. Still, I don't really regret going tailoring. It just feels right to have a crafting profession somehow. In cataclysm, at least you have the reforging option. I think that is going to make tailors very popular.

Also, I have all the recipes in the game. It just feels wrong to drop all that hard work to pick up minign
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

all said

Eng would be GREAT for PvP anything.

Tailor would be nice for Priests (and as stated stat reforging) Enchanting is good but for pvp id go tailor/eng, even for pve as shadow. As disc eng is ok.

Proffs dont make or break a player, they just min<maxx

15+ Year Old Account

The reforge is useable on all players, so it's not only restricted to people who have the profession. Therefor it's not really a benefit if everybody can use it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by iLive
    The reforge is useable on all players, so it's not only restricted to people who have the profession. Therefor it's not really a benefit if everybody can use it anyway.
    But would you rather find a tailor to reforge your gear or do it yourself?

15+ Year Old Account

Find a tailor. I prefer my professions to make me money AND be useful. Saving 100 gold every time I upgrade my pants or having yet another proc-based cooldown to watch is not worth it.

Making ~200 gold once every day (Jewelcrafting) or being able to gather my own enchanting mats (DE) or simply overcharging people for 3g cost glyphs (Inscription), on top of a slightly lesser buff, is more important to me.

R.I.P. YARG

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by fabian
    But would you rather find a tailor to reforge your gear or do it yourself?
    Then I would rather have enchanting and/or jewelcrafting for being able to enchant and gem myself, since these 2 professions are often most needed for gearing. You still get the stat bonus like from all professions, but you get more aswell: disenchant, dailies, easy money. Beside reforging won't be needed for all occations.