Thread: Smelt Pyrite?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Smelt Pyrite?

So the new ore mineral, according to information from Alpha, seems to be Pyrite? Really? As a geologist/geochemist in RL, may I just say... lolno.

I will qualify first by saying that I have been pleased in the past by Blizzard's understanding of geology (for example, knowing that copper/gold occurs naturally in veins and iron does not is a step above most, I would think) but... pyrite is an iron sulphide.

More to the point, 'smelting' Pyrite (FeS2) forms the reaction:

4FeS2 + 11O2 --heat--> 2Fe2O3 + 8SO2

In other words, you get iron oxide (basically iron ore) and sulphur dioxide (sulphuric acid: just add water!).

Chemistry fail, Blizz.

(PS: Please take this post with the irony with which is was intended, kthx)

Re: Smelt Pyrite?

OH SNAP. SCIENCE WIN. LORE FAIL

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account

It's a alpha, give them more than a few days to come up with a cool name

It appears we miners get several new smeltables.

Pyrite (which is also called pyrium in several lists)
    Ebonsteel (which is pyrium plus obsidian)
    Obsidian (AQ anyone?)
    Elementium (same name, new mats)

10+ Year Old Account

isnt pyrite Fool's Gold, a kinda valueless ore? I had an ore of pyrite

That's goblins for ya. They want to be 'affordable'.

I'm sure they thought Pyrite sounded cool because it has the funky Pyr, like Pyroblast in it with the whole world in flames feel.

Pyrite in WOW (not real life) is used to fuel siege engines. Ulduar anyone? Flame Leviathan, yeah those thingys you collected and stacked, yeah it's called Pyrite.

Well to be completely honest that was liquid pyrite, what would solid pyrite be? oh I don't know say ORE, BAR.

Titanium exists in this world and also in WOW. How come I can't turn saronite into titanium in this world.

Stop trying to bring RL stuff into WOW. Just because it has the same name doesn't mean its the same stuff.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

Science fail? Not really. See there's this thing called fantasy, and the suspension of disbelief. We've used the blood of an old god as ore. We've used the radioactive elements Thorium and Cobalt. Just because it's called Pyrite doesn't mean it's Fools Gold. Does liquid Fools Gold phosphoresce a blue color and react in a volatile manner? No, so it's obviously not Fools Gold. Elementium and Eternium don't exist on Earth, and just because it's called Pyrite doesn't mean it's the same thing as in real life either. Did you complain when you made Mithril, or Adamantite? If using Thorium and Cobalt were acceptable, then how is Pyrite not? Creative liberties.

There is no sence in the World Of Warcraft

wait wait.
    you were impressed by their knowledge of geology before?

you were impressed? impressed that they expected us to believe gold was capable of being used as armor or weapons in anything aside from an ornamental use?

impressed they had us wearing cobalt, a radioactive ore?
    impressed that most of their ore is madeup and not based on any fact at all?
    impressed that a 'vein' of gold is apparently a freaky rock formation that juts out of the earth in a single place?
    impressed that thorium is green in game?

you are easy to impress.

earth=/=azeroth

the pyrite of azeroth is fucking awesome
    the gold of azeroth can be forged into decent martial usage.
    the cobalt of azeroth won't kill you over time if you wear it.
    you do not have to spend ages hunting veins of ore deep underground and then get to mine a single vein for large quantities of ore on azeroth, all ore is relatively common and can occur above earth, but comes in small quantities in any given 'vein'.
    thorium in azeroth is, in fact, green in coloration.

stop trying to apply our world's facts to their world
    “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    They're greedy soulless monsters for not handing me everything for my 15 moneys a month!

Thanks to the fewer-than-half-a-dozen people at the top of the thread who know what 'irony' means.

The rest of you can go look it up.

Deleted

Sorry to disappoint you, but the only law in this game is a law of math, everything else basically does not matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingmoney
    The name pyrite is derived from the Greek πυρίτης (puritēs), "of fire" or "in fire", from πύρ (pur), "fire".

It's their version of Pyrite, they took the name cuz it came from the Greek word fire. No one ever said it had to reflect any of the real world characeristics of Pyrite.

Wikipedia btw
    This.

I'm a fan or minerals and gems and such, but this Pyrite seems to be a fantasy ore, refering to how there are so many flames, volcanoes, etc. This also makes sense with Obsidian, it being a volcanic glass. Traditional Japanese swords are forged from black sand (search tamahagane), so it contains alot of silicon/glass when smelted, and the metal has to be beaten and folded to remove the impurities. So thats a bit counterintuitive in the real world also (refering to the Ebonsteel). So, just laugh for what its worth, people running around with fool's gold/cruddy iron and structurally unsound armor/weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarkan
    As a geologist/geochemist in RL
    Yup stopped reading right here....dude its a game relax
    I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

This is equal to a pilot (IRL) claiming that you wouldn't be able to accurately steer the X-53 touring rocket and that means Blizzard fails.

or...

A fisherman (IRL) claiming that you would never be able to catch a turtle that big in a pond that small - blizzard fails again.

or...

A human (IRL) claiming that no matter how hard he tries he really can't shoot fireballs out of his hands. ZOMG FAIL.

Seriously though, it might not be scientifically accurate to the planet earth, but Azeroth is a different planet, in a different universe, in a fantasy game, with elves, and dragons, and magic. A willing suspension of disbelief is essentially a requirement.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Zuldain
    A human (IRL) claiming that no matter how hard he tries he really can't shoot fireballs out of his hands. ZOMG FAIL.
    Wait, you mean you can't?

Yet another person expecting real life logic from a fantasy game.
    Its not the fact that people are generating elements from their fingers, healing with their minds, or carrying 110 animals in their bags. Its not the ability to swim with heavy plate armor on, the ability to shoot stuff through walls and the ground or that they developed the internal combustion engine and implemented it before electric lighting. Nope... its none of that that gets him... Its the name of the new metal.(pardon me as I had to twitch a few times)

I like the names to the new metals. They are quite interesting.
    Quite often, the difference between an idiot and a genius is simply a matter of success rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarkan
    So the new ore mineral, according to information from Alpha, seems to be Pyrite? Really? As a geologist/geochemist in RL, may I just say... lolno.

I will qualify first by saying that I have been pleased in the past by Blizzard's understanding of geology (for example, knowing that copper/gold occurs naturally in veins and iron does not is a step above most, I would think) but... pyrite is an iron sulphide.

More to the point, 'smelting' Pyrite (FeS2) forms the reaction:

4FeS2 + 11O2 --heat--> 2Fe2O3 + 8SO2

In other words, you get iron oxide (basically iron ore) and sulphur dioxide (sulphuric acid: just add water!).

Chemistry fail, Blizz.

(PS: Please take this post with the irony with which is was intended, kthx)
    thats a reaction

smelting is altering the form from a solid to a liquid to a solid shape again... u phail at chemistry

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying
    Wait, you mean you can't?
    I can set my hands ablaze.. but I can't shoot any of it forward.. and it usually hurts before the cast time would even up. >

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingmoney
    The name pyrite is derived from the Greek πυρίτης (puritēs), "of fire" or "in fire", from πύρ (pur), "fire".
    I believe this is what Blizzard was referring to.

Originally Posted by Daxxarri
    Whale Shark swims where and how it pleases. Whale Shark /spits on your science.
    All hail Garrosh Hellscream!
    I've fallen for a woman... without a pulse. -- Forsaken afficionado. <3