Help me tune my mage please!

Salutations. My mage was my first 70 back in tbc, and my first 80, though as soon as I rolled a rogue I fell in love with melee and haven't really payed much attention to my mage. After doing my 10 and 25 icc's on both my rogue and my warrior, I saw an spam in trade for 1m ranged for 10m icc. I had my mage in decent gear, so I tried it out.

Frankly I was embarrassed. I was pulling between 3.8-4.2k DPS, and was hating every minuet of it. Not that it wasn't somewhat fun to play as a mage again in a raid setting, but going from doing 10-12k on my rogue and being on top of charts to doing 4k on my mage and being at the bottom is a big step down.

I think the reason I'm so good with my rogue is largely in part due to Aldriana's spreadsheet. I can see exactly which gem I need to plop in what slot, and helps me make difficult gearing choices. On my mage I relied on a program called Rawr which I'm sure most of you have heard of. A friendly resto druid in our run told me that his main was a mage, and he could give me some help if I wanted, so I took the help. He told me not to use Rawr as it was bad at gemming decisions, and that I should always strive to match socket bonuses. He also helped me switch my build up a lil because of the large amount of hit I had on my gear.

Here's my armory if you for some reason need it.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...nor&cn=Serevok

My question is this. Is there a mage spreadsheet, or something I can use to help me tune my gear? I checked out the stickies here and tooled around EJ for a few minuets and couldn't find one. Hoping there's something out there, because I hate being fail dps >< Thanks for the help. Peace.

Re: Help me tune my mage please!

http://www.mmo-champion.com/class-ma...-mage-pve-faq/

Use SP/spirit gem instead of SP/stam
    Use only epic gems
    Enchant all your gear
    Get down to atleast 11% hit on gear - 8% if you raid with moonkin/shadowpriest
    I see you have tailoring, use the tailoring cloakenchant instead of 23 haste rating (the one giving SP)

EDIT: Rawr isnt that bad if you know how to use it. But try the guide I linked on top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malleus
    One of the bosses in this game is a god called Al'ar (pron: al'lah) who spawns an endless supply of minions who explode when they die. I think Muslims have greater concerns than whether or not Shadow Word: Death fulfils the requirements of halal.

Here's something I don't understand.

Neck - Yellow Socket - +5SP - 20 haste
    Shoulders - Yellow Socket - +5SP - 23SP

Why have you stuck 2 different gems in what are essentially identical slots?

Let's just ignore the fact that 2 oranges would get +10SP not +5SP from socket bonuses and just look at the raw gems:

2 x 12SP/10 haste = 24SP + 20 haste
    23SP + 20 haste = 23SP + 20 haste

You've lost 1 SP just by using a red and a yellow over 2 oranges, ignoring the extra socket bonus you missed, and if you need a spreadsheet to tell you 24 > 23 then...well...

Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrrandion
    He told me not to use Rawr as it was bad at gemming decisions, and that I should always strive to match socket bonuses.
    Ignore this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugz
    Here's something I don't understand.

Neck - Yellow Socket - +5SP - 20 haste
    Shoulders - Yellow Socket - +5SP - 23SP

Why have you stuck 2 different gems in what are essentially identical slots?

Let's just ignore the fact that 2 oranges would get +10SP not +5SP from socket bonuses and just look at the raw gems:

2 x 12SP/10 haste = 24SP + 20 haste
    23SP + 20 haste = 23SP + 20 haste

You've lost 1 SP just by using a red and a yellow over 2 oranges, ignoring the extra socket bonus you missed, and if you need a spreadsheet to tell you 24 > 23 then...well...

Also:Ignore this guy.

The guy I was talking to said stick haste gems in yellow slots, and I had just gotten the neck piece. The chest which doesn't have epic gems should be replaced in a day or two w/ the crafted toc one.

Whoever you talked too doesn't know how to play or gem for a mage obviously. You do not gem +20 haste at all. You use Purified Dreadstones for blue sockets if the bonus is +7 sp/+9 sp. You use atleast two Purified Dreadstones for meta.

Some tips: Enchant all of your gear.
    Use epic gems
    Read Elitist Jerks -- Mage

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrrandion

The guy I was talking to said stick haste gems in yellow slots, and I had just gotten the neck piece. The chest which doesn't have epic gems should be replaced in a day or two w/ the crafted toc one.
    Never gem for pure haste. If you're going to gem haste at all, do it with the 12sp/10 haste gem. Haste may be a great mage stat but it's worthless without spell power.

Why can't we just admit it? We won't stop until the blood is flowing.