Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted

Re: Cloth VS Leather (Boomkin)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyralis
    You're a druid... take the damn leather. Let the cloth stuff for the real casters. ( Mages )
    Stop trolling my forum, please. Cheeky posts like that are not really very impressive (especially since the "real casters" are facing some serious competitions from their leather wearing chicken friends )

My advice is to only roll on cloth pieces as off spec pieces. It may be BIS but is it fair to the clothies who can't roll on your leather gear? Would your like shamans rolling on your gear? Are you willing to take the chance that another leather piece in that slot drops again? Keep in mind that cloth wearers have no other armor to roll on so if that is the only piece of cloth that drops then they are SOL. With that said, if no one else needs then fell free to ask about. Most reasonable raid groups will lets you roll on it rather then shard it. Emphasize on the word reasonable.

Not really sure why people are making such a big deal about mastery. They already said there wouldn't be any added to pre-Cataclysm gear and while you will get some from wearing your armor class who can really say if that is enough to offset BIS stats from the non-leather gear?

TL;DR Worry about gearing for Cataclysm in 6 months.

unless you're already done with the ICC25 hardmodes, you should concentrate on current gearing, and not Cataclysm gearing, meaning if cloth is better for you, get it, as there's no mastery involved yet.

I agree with qieth.....on normal modes. On heroic ICC that 50 DPS is a big deal.

Deleted

Not really. Sure, 50 DPS across all raiders mean a lot, but for the individual it shouldn't matter as much. The point still stands that if you snatch up a cloth item and then DE all leather pieces after that, your raid loses more than 50 DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Poldara
    There's still not much point in getting cloth so close to the expansion if the talents and masteries are updated before cata goes live like every expansion they have been then cloth wont be useful to you as you aint wearing the correct gear !
    by the time patch 4.0 hits, i guarantee that the ICC buff will be at a point that 25 blind and deaf monkeys can wipe their way through there. the benefits now, when progression actually means something, will far outweigh the gain when you are raiding content that has been nerfed to the ground.

Take sunwell/BT/hyjal after 3.0 was released. guilds that had been wiping on Brut for months magically kill KJ within a week or two of the patch hitting. I definitely see the same scenario playing out when they release the patch leading up to Cata. So gearing for nerfed content (especially if the cloth gear is going to go to off specs/DE'd otherwise) that is 5-6 months away is a pretty horrible idea IMO.

Deleted

Yeah, completely right. Like I said my head is a lil out of sorts on timscales , due to what's available :P I have no doubt people will be able to clear all of the content at that stage so easily it'll be funny , at the end of TBC my guild had clear'd everything anyway so I decided to start up a guild just for friends , people running around in kara/gruul/mag gear and we manage a full clear of every raid instance (inc. sunwell) in 2 weeks was pretty funny So yeah... no doubt we'll have bane of the fallen king about as common as the twill set was :P So yeh right now go with whatever is a bigger upgrade !

Deleted

The 30% buff in ICC might help some people to kill Lich King, but I doub it will have a huge impact on heroic kills. Even on normal, you still need to do the fight correctly, and on heroic - ugh, *shudders*. No amount of +damage/healing buff will save you from rogues running into shadow traps.

For the people talking about cata changes for gear now, I'm pretty sure the change won't be a game breaker considering when cata does hit, you will have plenty of upgrade time later on. Grab the best statted gear for now and for the most part it is the cloth crafteds to hit your caps much easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    Worst case scenario, lets say we work on DKP alone. We shard the Boots of Unnatural Growth, because "I don't want it", and when Plague Scientist's Boots drops, I snatch them up. Sure, I got my BIS boots, but we could actually have upgraded two pairs of boots instead of one. Because of this, I am perfectly fine with using my leather stuff until the casters are covered, and then ill snatch up the boots. But im not really too concerned about spending DKP/PR/Whateversystemyouuse for a 50 DPS upgrade when I can spend it on other items for the time being
    While it's a great scenario to have where you already have a decent upgrade and you're the bigger man (bird? owlbeast?) and pass BiS to others first, as is usually the case there are alternative scenarios just as likely where things are far less optimal.

It may be that the leather never drops and that leaves you high and dry while all the clothies get to soak in their upgrades, so you get pushed to the back of the line because you refuse to roll cloth. It may be the clothies have their own 2nd best things already so the difference between the BiS and what they have is also a marginal ~50dps, should you still defer a drop because it's cloth? If so you're basically volunteering to be last to get BiS just because of the armor type. It might be the clothies in your raid are just being greedy and passing on all their "2nd best" items because they want the BiS - are you expected to suck it up and take your 2nd best just because it's armor class restrictive? It might be that cloth drops and it comes down to you (who, obviously being a moonkin, kicks major dps ass) and Joe McSucksTheBottomDPSSpotWouldn'tDoWellIn277Gear clothie (you know the guy...) and so for you to pass just because it's cloth would be like throwing the drop into the dumpster - should you pass good loot to bad people because of it's armor type?

Basically the point is there are a lot of open variables. Having a sunny disposition that you're going to be more helpful to the raid by making a personal sacrifice is great when things work out well in terms of drops and you have a raid of people who all understand the primary goal and have the progress and success of the raid as a whole in mind. The reality of things though is often much deviated from this ideal. People are greedy, people don't often don't consider the raidwide benefits of a drop going to person X over person Y, people are different in skill level - what amounts to a dps upgrade of Z on paper can be impacted a lot by how skilled a person is in their play, and lastly random loot is random.

Bottom line, plan for the best, plan for the worst, and be able to make informed decisions as drops become available. Also cataclysm stuff is probably a ways off I wouldn't limit your selections based on that.

-Thedrun