Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst

Re: How important is it to be expertise capped?

A horror story of mine. Coming from stealth while behind the boss i missed my 1st two Mutilates. Enough said

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying
    Aldriana, who makes one of the most popular spreadsheets, has frequently said that expertise holds greater value than the EP gives you. The EP is based on average case. Not being capped means it's entirely possible to have 4 SS dodged in a row causing SnD and thus your dps to drop greatly. Back before the poison changes, expertise's EP was rarely above other more beneficial stats, yet aldriana still advised to stay capped due to rotation issues. If you're running a high-rupture combat rotation, a single dodged SS can cause havok with your rupture uptime and even SnD uptime. I'd recommend being capped *always* unless something fundamental about our rotation changes.
    If not being expertise capped had such a huge effect then you could see it from the other DPS tools even if Aldriana fails to model it correctly (Why would he leave out such an important effect from his sheet anyway?). ArP is so far ahead of exp with basically every analysis tool that we have that, again, it's going to take a far more objective argument than 'not being capped can screw up your rotation'.

Again, I'm not at all surprised Aldriana would be recommending things that stabilize the rotation based on his sheet. The fundamental assumption of his sheet is a stable rotation and anything that destabilizes it is likely to show up as a DPS decrease on that type of model. If you want more reliable analysis you can use something like SimulationCraft that will actually show the real effects of non-stable rotations (i.e., priority lists).

You should really get the exp cap, if you do 25 man you can get it from just gear. if you do 10 man (like me) you need to gem (and that sucks ><)

the unsatisfying answer to the ops question is simple: the better the gear the more important it is to be capped.

meaning if you hit like a cranky midget a few misses dont hurt as much as when you have the power of a fkn truck behind your blows and you miss one of those. that means in icc25 gear i would not even dare to think about not being capped, especially given how easy reaching the cap is nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomsin
    The chance of a boss turning to you and blocking (if that's what you're implying) is so minimal it's insane.
    Go look at a WWS parse from ICC full clear and you will see rogues getting parried. I'm not saying exp is awesome because you get tons of parries, I'm saying it still has a positive value above the dodge cap, however small.

And whether or not he's facing you; expertise has the same effect. A cap is a cap, and that is that.
    I think you're confused. Attack tables from front and back are different, and the cap we're talking about is dodge cap from behind.

Get capped, you can it from chest(gunship/boe), legs( T10), ring, crafted boots.

Quote Originally Posted by LeperHerring
    Go look at a WWS parse from ICC full clear and you will see rogues getting parried. I'm not saying exp is awesome because you get tons of parries, I'm saying it still has a positive value above the dodge cap, however small.
    That does not mean that you should go over the expertise-cap, though. 8 expertise-rating over the cap are 16 AP that you miss out on. (With your parry-statement it might only be 15 AP)

Going over the cap is not a good idea, you're wasting stats this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Voij
    That does not mean that you should go over the expertise-cap, though. 8 expertise-rating over the cap are 16 AP that you miss out on. (With your parry-statement it might only be 15 AP)

Going over the cap is not a good idea, you're wasting stats this way.
    I never claimed it was a good idea. Of course other stats are going to have higher EP than exp when you're over the dodge cap. All I was doing was pointing out that the EP value is still positive after dodge cap.

The fundamental point is this: You should not be gearing based on caps. This is because you cannot choose which gear will drop and which gear you will get. It might very well turn out that in the gear that you have access to the optimal setup is below or above the exp dodge cap. By worrying about caps you risk socketing exp when something else is superior or passing on a superior piece of gear because it either does or does not have exp.

10+ Year Old Account

EP stands for EPEEN