Experiences with D&D Online

I've been trying out the free-to-play version of D&D Online ("Eberron Unlimited") the last couple days and so far I gotta say it really looks very neat. The game play is fun, kind of Action-RPG style, it's got ladders and traps and puzzles, plus, it's D&D, mace-wielding Clerics in full plate and all. I was also pleasantly surprised by the wealth of information on the official forums, very well organized and with a huge bunch of user-written guides. The community seems to be very active and there is a lot of LFG chat going on which I take as a good sign.

So, as I'm looking for a new MMO to pass the time until Cata arrives, this looks by far the most interesting one I've seen in a bit. Is there anyone around who's played it until end game? What is PvE end game like? At what point would you suggest upgrading the free-to-play version to the VIP version? Anything else noteworthy?

Re: Experiences with D&D Online

We never loved you either
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark
    I would kill a old god.

Quote Originally Posted by Borakh
    I've been trying out the free-to-play version of D&D Online ("Eberron Unlimited") the last couple days and so far I gotta say it really looks very neat. The game play is fun, kind of Action-RPG style, it's got ladders and traps and puzzles, plus, it's D&D, mace-wielding Clerics in full plate and all. I was also pleasantly surprised by the wealth of information on the official forums, very well organized and with a huge bunch of user-written guides. The community seems to be very active and there is a lot of LFG chat going on which I take as a good sign.

So, as I'm looking for a new MMO to pass the time until Cata arrives, this looks by far the most interesting one I've seen in a bit. Is there anyone around who's played it until end game? What is PvE end game like? At what point would you suggest upgrading the free-to-play version to the VIP version? Anything else noteworthy?

I heard that while D and D has a plethora of dungeons to hack and slash through, that it doesn't have much of a "game world" so to speak. Is this true?
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account

Very true. All the instances are in the cities, and the quests are going into instances and doing things. Also, to honestly be worth anything endgame you have to use micropayments. Nty

I played this for awhile but I got really bored. I like the qsts in your individual dungeons but the game in general got old quickly.

10+ Year Old Account

i like how it has puzzles and dungeons are always different etc... but it has one major drawback for me, no pvp.

Well, it actually does have PvP („tavern brawls“) but I don’t know if they’re any good. I don’t care much as I’m more interested in PvE anyway.

“No game world”, well, that’s true insofar as the meat of the game world is mostly off screen. So there is a ton of lore (Eberron being a fully developed Pen&Paper Campaign setting and all), and a lot of that is built into the story lines, but you can’t actually go all these places in-game. Still, I’d say the city of Stormreach is quite neat.

I guess I’ll just carry on a little and see where it takes me. Many MMOs seem promising on low levels but can’t sustain it, so I wouldn’t be surprised if that were the case with DDO, too. I don’t mind switching to P2P account at some point as long as the game is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrrar
    Very true. All the instances are in the cities, and the quests are going into instances and doing things. Also, to honestly be worth anything endgame you have to use micropayments. Nty

I played this for awhile but I got really bored. I like the qsts in your individual dungeons but the game in general got old quickly.
    This^
    and...micropayments to see the end game of a game that is still not good?no tyvm.i will stick to wow or if i want a free mmo game i will try and find my Guild Wars 1 which is somewhere(i think?) in my closet.Also why do i have to play D&D online when i can still play the pen n paper D&D which is by FAR better?
    Mal'Ganis is DEAD!Deal with it!