Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is every old world dungeon going to have to be remade?

Hey everyone,

Not sure if this has been mentioned before (probably has o0) but with cataclysm and the old world getting changed wouldn't this mean that every dungeon will have to be remade as well ? Wouldn't really make sense to be running into a dungeon for X old world reason to kill X old world bad guy when your in the future. If that makes any sense.

What do you guys think? Is it just going to be another "yes I started at level 1 in the present (cataclysm) and now I am level 71 in Northrend doing quests that happened before I was level 1".

Anywhoozle..
    walls o' textual eyerape
    IT'S ALL FUN AND GAMES UNTIL SOMEONE LOSES THEIR ANAL VIRGINITY

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Is every old world dungeon going to have to be remade?

Probably depends on the instances.
    Aside from the ones being "reimagined" like BRD->BRC and stuff, there are also quite a few that don't need an update (for lore reasons)
    Zul'Farrak or Uldaman come to mind. For other's like RFC you'd only have to change the quests from Thralls sneaky approach to Garrosh's more...uhm...direct one.
    But you're right, WC for example would really be outdated when the change hits.

Of course, there's also the problem that some instances would require a new level because the zones they're in have a new one.

Deleted

It would be nice if each of those annoying instances got a little redesign or two, and I'm pretty sure most of you will agree on that... However what i'm not liking about the instance redesigns are that they're not just improving them, they're throwing in a heroic mode too. As if wow wasn't complicated enough already, now all the "newbs" are going to get ganked and most of them wont even know how to get into the proper mode.Also, I have nothing against heroics but, if your going to make one, atleast make a new one not slack off and throw in an old one.

As Zao said, it will depends on the instances. I doubt they'll go through them all to make some pointless changes that dont mean anything.
    Cake!

Quote Originally Posted by Skals
    It would be nice if each of those annoying instances got a little redesign or two, and I'm pretty sure most of you will agree on that... However what i'm not liking about the instance redesigns are that they're not just improving them, they're throwing in a heroic mode too. As if wow wasn't complicated enough already, now all the lowbies are going to get ganked and most of they wouldn't even know how to get into the proper mode of the instance.
    Because you can just enter heroics at any level right?

Oh wait no one walks to the instances anymore because of dungeon finder...

The first thought that came to mind after hearing about Cataclysm is was, "WTF are they going to do with Northrend?"

The time paradox you'll have to lapse is retarded.

Level 1-57: "Hai everyone! Deathwing is here! OMGWTF HE PWNED OL' BLANCHY!"

Level 58-67: "Stoopid draneieiis and Belves" uu r not purpared!!! raaawr..

Level 68-80: Naxxramas3x... god. damnit.

Level 80-85: "Hai everyone! Deathwing is here! "OMGWTF HE PWNED OL' BLANCHY!"

Maybe we'll see a smooth transition. I doubt it. Who cares? I'll still play.

I am The Burning Legion - Play Free Online Games

10+ Year Old Account

on a blue post they did say stuff about upgrading instances and making heroic versions for alot of them
    Omians- 70 Troll Enhancement shaman, Emerald Dream

i dont think they said they are changing brd to brc, so its probably gonna be its own instance lol.
    Tell them that the Lich King is dead...and the World of Warcraft...died with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Judaas
    The first thought that came to mind after hearing about Cataclysm is was, "WTF are they going to do with Northrend?"

The time paradox you'll have to lapse is retarded.

Level 1-57: "Hai everyone! Deathwing is here! OMGWTF HE PWNED OL' BLANCHY!"

Level 58-67: "Stoopid draneieiis and Belves" uu r not purpared!!! raaawr..

Level 68-80: Naxxramas3x... god. damnit.

Level 80-85: "Hai everyone! Deathwing is here! "OMGWTF HE PWNED OL' BLANCHY!"

Maybe we'll see a smooth transition. I doubt it. Who cares? I'll still play.
    ?

They've said that they will give some old instances "some love" to qoute some blue post. I think they are going to, not change, but just pimp em up a little, and will most likely be the ones that ppl really want to see. Like Scholomance/Stratholme. No one barely runs those since as soon you get to 58, you go to Outland.

Also, about the time differences. I think Blizz is using the phasing technique so whilst lvling up, the world changes for you. Like it will be a little more like it is today and after you've lvled like 10 lvls more and depending on what quests you've been doing, the world just get's more and more "cataclysmic".

This is nothing confirmed, only specualtions from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Franksredhot
    ?

Alpha tests suggest that Ol' Blanchy is murdered.

I am The Burning Legion - Play Free Online Games

I imagine a lot of the classic dungeons will receive updates in one way or another. However, I assume most of them will be left without a remake. I'm assuming that some dungeons will get major makeovers, though. It's almost inevitable that Blizzard would want to change the instances that are completely screwed up compared to today's standards.

Of course, the quests within most of these dungeons will probably receive an update, but probably only in terms of the quests leading up to it being updated for Cataclysm.

In addition, there's what Zao mentioned about some dungeons no longer being in the appropriate level zone because many zones are changing their levels. These might get touched upon, or simply left alone (I'd guess the first option there).

Quote Originally Posted by Skals
    Also, I have nothing against heroics but, if your going to make one, atleast make a new one not slack off and throw in an old one.
    They're retuning two classic instances that mean a lot to many of us who have been around since the beginning or around there. It's like Onyxia, they're most likely just adjusting the numbers of each instance to fit level 85. And they're doing it as a favour to the players. While you have every right to disagree with Blizzard's decision, I wish you wouldn't call it slacking off when they're only doing it as a favour to the players.

Quote Originally Posted by Omians
    on a blue post they did say stuff about upgrading instances and making heroic versions for alot of them
    Nope. It's just Deadmines and Shadowfang Keep.

Regarding timelines:

You have to realise something, each and every single character has his or her own individual timeline. For any characters who are now running around in Northrend, the Cataclysm will happen after he/she has been fighting the Scourge. For any character running around in Outlands, the Cataclysm will happen while he/she is in Outlands. For any character not yet at these levels, the Cataclysm simply occurs. Imagine a new level 1 in Cataclysm going like this:

1-58: adventuring out into the world, learning and mending damages, fighting and exploring.
    58: "Adventurers, your help is required in Outland. The enemies forces need to be weakened to defeat a vile threat to our world".
    68: "Brilliant, the enemies forces are now weakened beyond repair. We may now easily move in with an army and defeat the rest of these urchins. But rest is yet far away, as the threat of the Scourge looms in Northrend. Make haste to Northrend!"
    78: Just copy-paste the one above and switch out the Scourge with Twilight's Hammer and the elemental forces.

Quote Originally Posted by Franksredhot
    ?

:'(
    Anger leads to hate, hate leads to demons, demons lead to warlock fun!

There are a number of instances that should be changed simply because of the way that zone is changing.. can you imagine RFK/RFD staying exactly the same way, especially with how the Barrens is being changed? All the fire/lava pits etc.. I can't imagine RFK and RFD not being hit by something like that, but I guess Blizzard could just say "it missed the instances!" if they really wanted to. Im not sure how all the zones are changing, but definitely some should be updated..

Also the whole mandatory traveling to Outlands and Northrend to level seems pointless now, as technically Illidan and the Lich King have been dealt with, and you don't even do anything significant there anyways. There is that whole somewhat phased storyline where you still do quests in Northrend where the Lich King appears even though he's dead and you can see his death cinematic in Dalaran, but guess what? He's still alive!

What I think they should've done, but definitely wouldve taken some MAJOR reworking/adding of zones.. is to make 1-80 possible in the old world, or even some added new zones (somewhere), instead of forcing you to go to Outlands/Northrend to deal with a threat that technically isn't there anymore.

Blizz has said that right now, you just assume that you are in the time of that expansion when you do Outland and Northrend.

Right now in the lore, Illidan and Arthas are most definitely dead. But as soon as you hit Outland, you're back in the time that Illidan was alive, before the Cataclysm happened. Same with Northrend. There will be no Cataclysm up there, and Bolvar will not be the one that harasses you throughout the zones.

So it would be more like

1-58: The Cataclysm happened, all of the old zones are shot forward in time to the Cataclysm expansion. You're in the present time.
    58-68: You go to Outland. For all intents and purposes, the Cataclysm and Northrend have not happened yet. You're in the time the Burning Crusade took place.
    68-78: You go to Northrend. The Cataclysm has not taken place yet, and Arthas is still alive for you.
    78-85: You go back to Kalimdor/Eastern Kingdoms. Arthas is dead, the Cataclysm has occured. you are back in the present day.

If Outland and Northrend were changed to reflect the timeline...well....half of the quests in outland would no longer exist due to Illidan's demons being wiped out, Vashj's naga being killed, and Kael'thas's blood elves being gone. In Northrend, there wouldn't be too many quests to kill Scourge if the Scourge are not trying to destroy the world anymore.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Judaas View Post
    Alpha tests suggest that Ol' Blanchy is murdered.
    nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ;(
    Insert Signiture here.

After watching some videos on youtube, it seems that Maraudon is still up and running. Not sure if anything has been changed in there though.

I always thought they should have changed the old world a little bit with cataclysm but for the most part leave it as is and accessible through the caverns of time then have the world post death wing for level 78+ but oh well.

OT: As others have said I don't think all will change but it seems they are changing a few relevant to the expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Zao View Post
    Probably depends on the instances.
    Aside from the ones being "reimagined" like BRD->BRC and stuff, there are also quite a few that don't need an update (for lore reasons)
    Zul'Farrak or Uldaman come to mind. For other's like RFC you'd only have to change the quests from Thralls sneaky approach to Garrosh's more...uhm...direct one.
    BRD or any other Blackrock instances are not going anywhere, just the instance portals are in different places.

Also, in current beta all(?) old RFC quests are handed by two NPC's inside the dungeon and everything else is the same. I guess this is done so that LFD users can get the dungeon quests regardless of which starting area they are clearing. I'd guess this is what'll happen to most instances. Some quests are dropped, some added, and some quest NPC's moved around. I would be very surprised if any old instances are touched in significant way.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    BRD or any other Blackrock instances are not going anywhere, just the instance portals are in different places.

Also, in current beta all(?) old RFC quests are handed by two NPC's inside the dungeon and everything else is the same. I guess this is done so that LFD users can get the dungeon quests regardless of which starting area they are clearing. I'd guess this is what'll happen to most instances. Some quests are dropped, some added, and some quest NPC's moved around. I would be very surprised if any old instances are touched in significant way.
    I wouldn't expect huge overhauls, but from what I've read, a lot of the quests are going to change. For example, scholo and strat will change a little, but not drastically.

Also, I don't understand why people want TBC and LK content updated. If it's for lore ... lol. I love story as much as the next person, but that content is still pretty solid and the differing timelines isn't an end of the world type of thing. Same goes with the Dranei/Belf starting areas. That content doesn't really need an update either.