Leveling 80 with only dungeons 3.3 ( tank )

Is it possible?
    Or even better, is it faster then questing?
    If i find a nice BoA group it goes hell fast,
    But is it faster then questing/grinding?

Tell me your experience.

Re: Leveling 80 with only dungeons 3.3 ( tank )

Depends on how fast the dungeons groups are going. I can generally get a level every 1 to 1.5 hours by questing and grinding, and that holds true too if the dungeons groups are fast. It takes me about three good dungeon runs to level; assuming the dungeon takes half an hour to run, then all things are equal.

Dranei Ultra-Nationalist and Mac'Aree Patriot

quest while you queue

Quote Originally Posted by DreamOfTheRood
    Depends on how fast the dungeons groups are going. I can generally get a level every 1 to 1.5 hours by questing and grinding, and that holds true too if the dungeons groups are fast. It takes me about three good dungeon runs to level; assuming the dungeon takes half an hour to run, then all things are equal.

Levels 71-80 are way faster with queues. Please don't give false information saying it's equal. It's not even CLOSE.

@ doddilus That only works if he's a dps. If he's tanking - and, what with the 'tank' in the title, I'm assuming he is - he should be getting groups pretty well instantly.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Doddilus
    quest while you queue
    With the speed of queues, when he's done with the quest it'll be gray.

From level 15 to 50 it's definitely fast. After that you need to supplement dungeon grinding with quests. I still got from 58 to 68 on my pally without even getting to Nagrand. I just quested in Hellfire, Zangarmarsh, and did maybe 10-20 quests in Terokkar along with dungeon grinding. Once you get to Northrend you really need to do quests if you want to level quickly. Dungeon hopping just can't compete with the amount of xp you get from quests in Northrend.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Doddilus
    quest while you queue
    Can't hurt, at all.

levelling tanking is not as instant queues as you think. When I levelled my DK, largely at the times when most people play alts, such as a few hours before raid time + weekends, I almost always had at least a 1 minute wait, sometimes up to half an hour, but usually 5 or so minutes.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account

15-29 with my priest, my friend has 15-71 with his mage, both just doing dungeons. another friend did 58-80 on his DK.

Wow I just leveled a Feral Druid my queue time was never over 60 seconds...My battle group might just be hurting for tanks though.

Quote Originally Posted by tibben
    From level 15 to 50 it's definitely fast. After that you need to supplement dungeon grinding with quests. I still got from 58 to 68 on my pally without even getting to Nagrand. I just quested in Hellfire, Zangarmarsh, and did maybe 10-20 quests in Terokkar along with dungeon grinding. Once you get to Northrend you really need to do quests if you want to level quickly. Dungeon hopping just can't compete with the amount of xp you get from quests in Northrend.
    NO.

And before you ask me to "give useful information backing up my statement."

I've leveled six characters to 80 and the last two I've exclusively used the dungeon finder while gathering herbs etc.

In summary: Tank = DUNGEON QUEUE
    Heal = DUNGEON QUEUE
    DPS = MIX

My douche alarm is going off.

I think the OP is going to find himself in the same position as many people: doing one thing continuously isn't that fun. So, feel free to mix it up if you get bored. One method of leveling may be marginally faster than another, depending on your class and playstyle, but don't feel confined to do it that way just because it's faster.

The game's about having fun.

I've been doing mostly randoms with my warrior, at 66 now he's moving fairly quickly. I'm not sure it's worth the slightly quicker speed, simply because you run into the absolute dumbest players on the planet. Last night I ran Mana Tombs with a disc priest that didn't cast PW: Shield. wtf.

I leveled a pally tank to 80 through the LFD tool with BOA gear. I only quested while I was in queue (which wasn't ever very long). It went by pretty fast.

I would never do it to that extent ever again though. I think I ruined myself forever on the these instances:

SM Graveyard (Shortest, most annoying instance ever)
    Sunken Temple (especially when people want to try to full clear it).
    MARA (If you wipe, just leave the group no one will ever find the entrance)
    Ramparts (You get to play with new DKs)

Quote Originally Posted by GrodinLB
    I've been doing mostly randoms with my warrior, at 66 now he's moving fairly quickly. I'm not sure it's worth the slightly quicker speed, simply because you run into the absolute dumbest players on the planet. Last night I ran Mana Tombs with a disc priest that didn't cast PW: Shield. wtf.
    That's truly amazing. I don't really like to run with disc priests on my pally, but I imagine they're pretty effective for you guys.

Deleted

Yeah its possible from level 15 onwards. But it gets so boring and repetative. I leveled my mage through dungeons with heirlooms.

The lower levels fly by, but as soon as you get to Dire Maul, and stuff like the instances in Desolace, it goes really really slow.

I took me 14 runs of dire maul to level. Doesn't seem very long, but shit. That dungeon is huge.

Yeah, that whole stretch of Sunken Temple to Dire Maul is really just ... not something I'd like to revisit very soon. I'm about to hit 61 from EPL quests, so I expect the pace to pick up soon.

I did 72-79 (atm) (warrior tank) with only dungeons and dungeon quests (gundrak has some seriously long dungeon quest chain). At about 78 i stopped getting instant-invited when ever i pushed the "random dungeon" button. Seems in the higher levels there is mostly a healer shortage.
    I also am leveling a druid tank, which is 50 atm. he has done some dungeons. always grp within max of 3mins and never problems finding a healer. i did quest with him though while not in the mood for dungeons.
    Greetings Undead. Wonderful day to be alive, isn't it?

I'm currently leveling a resto druid from level 20 using nothing but LFD. He is level 67 1/2 at the moment and has roughly 3 days play time.

The fun thing about leveling this guy is all the gear I get for my healing set can be used for my dual-spec Doomkin form

Questing as a Jewmkin while waiting on resto queues is pretty kick-ass.

I am The Burning Legion - Play Free Online Games

I don't agree with those who think its boring.
    In a dps way of looking maybe, but as tank you constantly have new situations.
    The scrubs ( not that I'm pro. ) make it a challenging to save your group every time.
    And I recall that as fun. So until BC its best to Dungeon your butt off.