Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Re: Nonsensical Race/Class Combos

Hooray, Gnome Priests! I've always wanted to confess to a doorstop.

Have to agree stupidest class combo has to be gnome warriors.

I'm sad that they didn't make gnome paladin... they would have been soooo cool

15+ Year Old Account

All this thread made me think is how bad I would love to have Space Goat rogues.

Yes, it makes 0 sense, but man it'd be swell.

Quote Originally Posted by Tribunal
    All this thread made me think is how bad I would love to have Space Goat rogues.

Yes, it makes 0 sense, but man it'd be swell.
    Why are we talking about talbuks?

Worgen Druid? - Very simple. You have a people diseased with a curse that forces them to turn into wild feral beasts. They can't control it. They can't stop it from ruining their lives. Whenever they get upset or afraid or anything at all they turn into an animal. Night Elves have been turning into animals for generations back to the dawn of druidism. When the Gilneans approach the alliance, how could the Night Elves ignore it, ignore giving them the option to EMBRACE that feral nature, to even take advantage of it? The Druid's aren't being led by Staghelm anymore - it's Malfurion now, and he is not xenophobic! (not to mention the windfall of finding a cure for the cursed Night Elves in the grove near felwood!)

Goblin Shaman? While I suspect that the first 5 levels of Goblin will not feature fighting quests (for serious!) Lost Isles the Goblins have been shipwreaked, no money, no possessions, (dead!) and who is there on the island with them? THRALL. These are goblins who have never used magic a day in their lives - and the best Shaman on the planet basically says "you want to learn about the elements? I can teach you." And really, if you don't get how much fun that would be, you've got no imagination at all.

Undead Hunter?
    - so you managed to do quests in EPL without ever running into the UNDEAD HUNTER WHO HAS BEEN THERE SINCE VANILLA? UNDEAD. HUNTER. Old as the game itself. Is Sylvannas' hunter general. I don't get what you're missing here. They have a very talented hunter trainer who knows the limits of what a hunter can handle as an undead and up until now he couldn't train forsaken because he had a more important position of keeping EPL under control.

Nelf Mage: The Leftover Highborne from Dire Maul who have returned to Teldrassil have done so under great risk. Any mage who will be rolling a mage will not be a "born and bred druid/priest/warrior" from that society. They are Shandra'lari - they are HIGHBORNE. They are not druids or priests or sentinels. They are the remnants of a ruling caste of Night Elves. And they are returning because they know that in order for their race (Night Elf, not Highborne, but NIGHT ELF) to survive, they need to come to terms with the past and they need to embraces their whole soul - which includes arcane magic use.

Click on my website link - it's the whole history of Azeroth in point form!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiwyn
    Space goats are what some people call Draenei.
    I'm aware of that. However, the term originally appeared in the BC beta as slang for "talbuk," which makes much more sense.

And yeah, why can't they be rogues?
    Because rogues are underhanded sneaks, which isn't draenic. And because draenei have hooves.

Seriously...those are the best excuses that anyone can ever come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by tankytanktank123
    Gnome priests, theve been in the game healing shit in Gnomer since vanilla, now you can play one. IMO gnomes should be able to be something else, not sure what though, but i think they still fall short as far as the selection of classes to choose from for them.
    There's this awesome class that's a lot like a priest, but more martial. They're called Paladins. They're pretty cool.

I just have to respond to all of the idiots who keep ranting about Nathanos Blightcaller as an example of why human and undead hunters make sense...

First of all I mentioned in the OP that there was one human ranger. Secondly to back this, from wowwiki "In life, Nathanos Marris was the first and last of the human ranger lord."

There as only one ever that learned of it outside of elven heritage. Humans learning it now after the fact maybe. Undead following sylvannas picking it up? No.

Quote Originally Posted by Danur
    Alright gonna preface this, with I am completely stoked about Cata regardless of what lore they tear to shreds, because the gameplay changes look sick and I'm hopelessly addicted anyway.

But still the inner lore-nerd in me is just outraged at some of the new race/class combos they are allowing. So far, I've heard their logic (excuses) for Tauren Paladins, so I'll just accept that and let that be. But some of the others...I can't wait to see what kind of rabbit they are gonna pull out of their hat to justify them.

Worgen Druid? So we have a kingdom of xenophobic humans who have been cut off from the rest of the world for generations, and have been transformed into a race of werewolves. So they once were friendly with Night Elves so this means they can be druids now? What about the humans, dwarves and gnomes who have been fighting alongside the Night Elves all this time the Were-men were hiding behind the greymane wall?

Goblin Shaman? This one really gets me. Goblins are supposed to be this plundering, greedy, money-driven race. How on earth they can then turn around, and befriend the elemental spirits to gain their blessings to use their power is beyond me.

Undead Hunter... yeah so all this time there was one human hunter who was taught the ways of communing with nature in order to tame beasts and be a ranger warrior. Now all of a sudden the undead humans, who have done nothing but shun anything in nature unless trying to pervert it via alchemy now can manage to master those abilities?

Nelf Mage: Ok so an entire society is splintered, the world itself is nearly ended in an apocalyptic sundering, and a portion of their wayward brethren now roam the northern region of the eastern continent crazed and starved to fulfill their addiction to magic. And they are going to just forget that, turn away from their druidic-based society and re-embrace the magic that nearly destroyed them twice over? Some things in this game gave it flavor in the form of contrast. Having mages in the alliance while despised by the night elves was one of them. Though I suppose if orcs can be warlocks, then nelves can be mages >.>

I'm all for most of the class combo changes, but these ones are just beyond me. I can't wait to see Blizz explain them away -_-
    You sir have just bought yourself a ticket to 'stupid flamers' land'.
    Because no matter how logical your explanations may be some guy is SURELY gonna show up and try to prove you that a chiuaua + a rocket launcher ( bad comparisson but i want 2 stupid things together ) is VIABLE combination.
    Cow Paladin <--- /facepalm
    Nelf mage - agreed with what you said.
    Goblin shaman -they cut wood like CRAZY in stonetalon, blind spirits are blind...
    Dwarf shaman - so much for dorfs and tech....now they are going down the 'spirits' ( read drugs ) path.
    Undead hunter -well his pet won't lack any bones to eat.
    Worgen druid - this concept is so retarded.....so basically he is an animal that turns into an....animal?..wait that didn't care out right.
    He is an ANIMAL that turns into an ANIM....wtf same thing again?
    yeah he's a dog turning into a dog ( cat form probably ).Guess my cat is druid too, gonna go ask it.

Troll druid - /facepalm
    There are so many reason why this combination deserves a "no" i honestly dun think anyone in his right mind needs an explanation.

All in All, nearly ALL new combination make no SHIT sense. But that again blizz ran out of new races or class ideas and is probably doing it "for the lulz".
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

Quote Originally Posted by Farseer Lolotea
    I'm aware of that. However, the term originally appeared in the BC beta as slang for "talbuk," which makes much more sense.
    Because rogues are underhanded sneaks, which isn't draenic. And because draenei have hooves.

Seriously...those are the best excuses that anyone can ever come up with.
    And a walking pile of bones is very silent whenmoving, right?
    clank clank clank...yeap. really stealthy.

If we take mob draenei into consideration they got rogues / warlocks. Every race is fucking it's 'baselore' up to gain a new class, so why shouldn't they?

Gief my draenei druid naw, they spent more time with the nelfs than those freaking dumb wolfs !

Gnome warriors and gnome DKs don't make sense and they should be removed from the game.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverLynx
    Worgen Druid? - Very simple. You have a people diseased with a curse that forces them to turn into wild feral beasts. They can't control it. They can't stop it from ruining their lives. Whenever they get upset or afraid or anything at all they turn into an animal. Night Elves have been turning into animals for generations back to the dawn of druidism. When the Gilneans approach the alliance, how could the Night Elves ignore it, ignore giving them the option to EMBRACE that feral nature, to even take advantage of it? The Druid's aren't being led by Staghelm anymore - it's Malfurion now, and he is not xenophobic! (not to mention the windfall of finding a cure for the cursed Night Elves in the grove near felwood!)

Goblin Shaman? While I suspect that the first 5 levels of Goblin will not feature fighting quests (for serious!) Lost Isles the Goblins have been shipwreaked, no money, no possessions, (dead!) and who is there on the island with them? THRALL. These are goblins who have never used magic a day in their lives - and the best Shaman on the planet basically says "you want to learn about the elements? I can teach you." And really, if you don't get how much fun that would be, you've got no imagination at all.

Undead Hunter?
    - so you managed to do quests in EPL without ever running into the UNDEAD HUNTER WHO HAS BEEN THERE SINCE VANILLA? UNDEAD. HUNTER. Old as the game itself. Is Sylvannas' hunter general. I don't get what you're missing here. They have a very talented hunter trainer who knows the limits of what a hunter can handle as an undead and up until now he couldn't train forsaken because he had a more important position of keeping EPL under control.

Nelf Mage: The Leftover Highborne from Dire Maul who have returned to Teldrassil have done so under great risk. Any mage who will be rolling a mage will not be a "born and bred druid/priest/warrior" from that society. They are Shandra'lari - they are HIGHBORNE. They are not druids or priests or sentinels. They are the remnants of a ruling caste of Night Elves. And they are returning because they know that in order for their race (Night Elf, not Highborne, but NIGHT ELF) to survive, they need to come to terms with the past and they need to embraces their whole soul - which includes arcane magic use.
    Sylvanas is a DARK RANGER, not a 'hunter' per se.

goblin + thrall:
    Thrall: you wanna learn about elements?
    goblin: does it make money?
    Thrall: err...what?

Why do the NIGHT ELVES find them if they are so close to IF or SW? makes no damn sense.It's like i got a neighbour in my backyard but i need the guy from US to come to Europe totell me that. /facepalm

this is what i have to say to Blizzard on the subject of some of the race class combos coming in Cata: just because you can do something doesn't mean you should and a little restraint would have preserved a great deal more integrity.

Mannoroth nodded. "The warrior shows much promise... I would see more of his kind, learn their potential..." WoTA

gee thx Brox...

You wonder about Goblin shamans but don't care about dwarf shamans, who really are exploiting the earth, how dare you?^^

but i agree to you, blizzard don't care about the games story anymore :'(

I wonder though, if the undead hunters tame a pet, will the pet be undead looking aswell? That would be cool.
    Rogues don't do buffs or other group things. If you want a hug ask the Paladin.

Quote Originally Posted by Voltjina
    You wonder about Goblin shamans but don't care about dwarf shamans, who really are exploiting the earth, how dare you?^^

but i agree to you, blizzard don't care about the games story anymore :'(
    Dorf shamans dun make sense either.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Nudle
    I wonder though, if the undead hunters tame a pet, will the pet be undead looking aswell? That would be cool.
    Nothing about that yet, Probably not :-)

/wave Tariq :P

EDIT: Omg, How do you guys know about all these lore thingies?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but was it not the scythe of elune that brought Worgen to Duskwood (note: I'm not saying that it caused the worgen curse) [http://www.wowwiki.com/Scythe_of_Elune]

In that sense, one could speculate that the Worgen are somehow related to Elune, in that her scythe summons them, and holding it gives visions of their battle against the Lords of the Eternal Flame. [http://www.wowwiki.com/Lords_of_the_Emerald_Flame]

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by OldHordeGlory
    But as far as I know, there is no established precedent for orcs sitting at length, studying tome after tome of arcane incantation to the point of becoming practitioners of those magics. That's pretty out of left field, if'n you ask me. At least warlocks make a bit more sense, in that it's less study and more...inherent? Not sure what the word is, but suffice to say I think warlock is more trial and error, practical learning than it is studious stuff. In game terms it's all left-clicks regardless, but you know what I mean
    if an orc has the patience that is required to be a shaman and about the same intelligence like humans/trolls
    why can't they be mages?
    Also has every mage in-game studied for hours in a school? There can't be mages that stuff you with ice daggers or burn you with rage/willpower