Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Paladin healing question

Ok im relatively new to pally healing. I have been using healbot for a bit But lately people have been telling me that is sucks. I wanted to know from the paladin community what do you use. Grid is the one everyone tells me to use but it seams to look a bit weak compared to healbot.

Re: Paladin healing question

Grid

Out of all the healer style addons it gives amazing feedback, warnings, possible incoming damage, priority marking and allows for mouseover macros. By far the best choice imo

imo, if you're a healer and you're not using grid, you're severely gimping yourself

VuhDo>all
    Look and info of grid, click cast functionality of Clique. I've yet to try something better.

I just use X-perl raidframe it shows everything you need to know (debuffs (shows only dispellable ones if you want) and who has aggro..

I am now trying Lui v3, but since i never used Grid(which is implemented in Lui) im not yet farmilliar with all its functions

Quote Originally Posted by Kstud
    imo, if you're a healer and you're not using grid, you're severely gimping yourself

Im sure theres been more discussions about this than there has about how hard Hoggar is....

Quote Originally Posted by Kurotshuchi
    I just use X-perl raidframe it shows everything you need to know (debuffs (shows only dispellable ones if you want) and who has aggro..
    But its freaking Huge o_o

Quote Originally Posted by Possiblyreef
    Grid

Out of all the healer style addons it gives amazing feedback, warnings, possible incoming damage, priority marking and allows for mouseover macros. By far the best choice imo
    please convince us why we should use Grid..

Quote Originally Posted by Possiblyreef
    But its freaking Huge o_o
    so? i play on a 32'' HDTV. then again you can totally customize the size

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Ulostthegame
    VuhDo>all
    Look and info of grid, click cast functionality of Clique. I've yet to try something better.
    This.

Vuhdo has everything Grid can offer (and even more!) plus it's HIGHLY costumizable, while still being rather easy to costumize.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstud
    Very vague. I use Healbot and I think its works great. If you're going to say that you are gimping yourself for not using Grid at least explain why.
    For relaxing times, make it Suntory time.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Chaoshvy
    Very vague. I use Healbot and I think its works great. If you're going to say that you are gimping yourself for not using Grid at least explain why.
    Very vague. I use Grid and I think it works great. If you think Healbot is good, at least explain why.

Quote Originally Posted by Zka
    Very vague. I use Grid and I think it works great. If you think Healbot is good, at least explain why.

OP is already using Healbot. The other guy is trying to convince him to use Grid. I am not trying to convince anyone to use Healbot.
    For relaxing times, make it Suntory time.

he didn't ask us to explain why we prefer one over others. he just asked what we use

Healbot because it does the job and doesn't take as long as Grid to setup.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    you're likely wrong, and we don't care anyway.
    Source

It really doesn't matter which healing addon you use. I've swapped between grid+clique and healbot on numerous occasions. I've been able to configure both to my liking by showing BoL & SS remaining time, configuring spells/macros to execute, and any other info I want to see.

tbh, it's flavor preference. I don't see any clear advantage having one over the other. Grid seemed a bit daunting to configure up front, but so did healbot before the options menu re-coding.
    Moo.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Grid is prefered due to the ability to show a large amount of extremely important information in a concise and clean area. With only grid and no modifiers you can set any sort of buff/debuff/status to any of the four corners, the center icon, or the border. In addition to that Grid has many modules that expand on these functions (those that replace the corner boxes with timers for my SS and BoL are favorites, as is Grid raiddebuffs, one of the most benefitial modules that shows EVERY need-to-know status of a player as a center icon, with easy customization from a 1-10 priority). I honestly believe and have substantial evidence that the only healers who dislike grid or prefer something over it have never taken the time to understand its full capabilities. You play wow and are most likely a raider if you have questions like this, you can spare 30 minutes (which is about how long it took me from installing grid to having a fully functional setup I still use to this day) to read up on some of the functions such as creating auras and assigning locations.

Imo,if you use addon for healing, you should in any case learn to heal without first.Otherwise if your addon is screwed for some reason you are useless as a healer. Anyways, JonBoy2001 said it all basically.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulostthegame
    VuhDo>all
    With one major exception that prevented me from even considering it on my paladin healer. The Clique functionality it has built in only works on friendly targets, and I've got 4 offensive click bindings I use on my paladin even in healer mode. If you don't do that, then it doesn't matter. And no, VuhDo doesn't work with Clique, at least not the last time I checked a few months ago.

I tried healbot a long time ago (long enough that my opinion is probably out of date in at least some parts), and it left me with a bad impression for a few reasons, but again, reasons that might not matter to other people, or may have changed completely with further development. First reason is that it didn't replace unit frames, it just augmented them. Sure, as a healer, you can probably get away with hiding the regular unit frames and just using healbot, but I've got too many non-healing alts to consider that, I really want a single UI that can do a good job of handling any toon, rather than individual UIs that do a great job of handling each individual toon. I could have the regular unit frames up all the time, and healbot only on my healers, but that takes up too much screen space. And then I'm going to have Clique installed anyway for some of the other click casting I do.

It also bothered me that it had separate click bindings for in combat, out of combat, and a smart-casting mode. If something happens fast, I don't want to have to think "am I in combat yet?" The smart-casting mode could have been good if I could bind a specific click to it, but it was all or nothing, it took over all out of combat bindings if it was turned on. I could have turned off smart-casting and then manually created identical bindings for in combat and out of combat settings, but that was more work than it was worth.

Wound up switching to Grid+Clique, and that was a step in the right direction. The only thing I didn't like about this combination was that Grid didn't make very good party frames, so I wound up using 3rd party frames (AgUF) when in a party, and Grid when in a raid. This just felt odd, because I was looking for different indicators representing the same situations.

Eventually, I found ShadowedUF (replacing Grid, but keeping Clique), which had everything I wanted from Grid, and had a more unified set of config options for party/raid frames. You could configure raid frames to look like your party frames, complete with portraits, buffs/debuffs under the bars, optional mana/energy bars, etc. In the reverse direction, you can put all the Grid-like indicators on party frames. It just allows for much more consistency, and I like that.

I'll agree with people that say that it all comes down to what works for you. I've known good healers that didn't use any of these addons. And to be honest, I have no clue how they pull it off. I've also seen Healbot/Grid+Clique healers that couldn't handle a bad pull in a heroic without getting flustered. None of these are going to turn a bad healer into a great healer, they're just streamlining the "information leads to decision leads to action" process.

Great post Geekzilla.

I personally use Healbot, but that is more to do with the fact I RL, so want pretty much the simplest thing I can deal with, whilst still being effective. I have tried clique and simple normal healing, and both are okay for me, I just feel most at home with healbot.

To be honest, this conversation has been had many times, about how everyone says all otpions can do everything else. It just comes down to personal preference, or what's important to you....

10+ Year Old Account

Although, to a greater extent it does go based on preference, there is one thing you need to consider. Grid has a faster reaction time than healbot, although not a huge one, but it's noticeable to me and many others.

For my entire first year of healing, I was a healbot user. Honestly? It accomplishes it's goal and is easy to use right out of the box, I guess you could say. The only problems I had with it were the aforementioned reaction time, as well as the fact that no matter how much I played around with the settings, it gimped me while healing 25 man. Either the frame was too large and blocked the view of my character (had a raid leader yelling at me because I had a snobold on me in toc, which I was completely unaware of because healbot obstructed my view.) or it was too small, making it hard for me to accomplish what I was trying to do.

Of course, this was a personal problem and would be easily remedied by purchasing a larger screen or adapting to the annoyance, but I decided to try grid instead and I loved it. The only annoying part about it is that it takes quite a bit of configuring to get it just right.

Why can't we just admit it? We won't stop until the blood is flowing.