Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Idea: Spells by race?

This is something I'd personally like to see in the game. However, it would totally screw with people wanting to discuss classes on forums, and for those that want to produce class guides, which would then in turn confuse newbies. So given all the effort Blizz is putting into recrafting the newbie experience, this would unfortunately never happen.

The amount of new acronyms this would produce would just be ridiculous. There's already classes that already have a handful of abilities that all share the same acronym, and then we're going to add 2-3 acronyms in addition for each of those abilities... again, not gonna happen.

Why does everyone think it would be a lot of work, in many skills it is just a name change and in others its name change + apperance wich in many cases is already in game, like Shadow Mend. People always overstimate the amount of work that blizzard would need to put in anything. Oblivion for example would take 50 years to make by that logic (Oblivion has like 10 times the city areas of wow and every resident has a daily routine, goes to work, hangs out, goes to sleep etc following an schedule, and in some cases even includes visiting other towns 15th every month and thinks like that, not to mention that most items (from spoons to food) in every house are moveable and stealable).

I suppose I didn't think it out completely. Even beyond the issues already mentioned, it would be hard to explain with priests as an example if trolls and undead use shadows to heal but can't use them in shadow form.

Still, I can dream dammit. I can dream.

Also, to Yomiko, the idea wasn't to change the abilities, just graphics and names. The point to doing it would be for added diversity. different races would feel different from each other. They would ultimately play the same, just feel unique. I.E. what we already have with Bloodlust having a much cooler visual audio component than heroism for The Alliance. Bloodlust and heroism are the same, but the concept of Bloodlust just doesn't mesh with The Alliance the way it does with The Horde.

doubt it would work. Not much lore sense. Because they did the exact opposite of this when they created the original classes. The hunter for e.g. is a fusion of the Beastmaster, the Marksman, the Ranger, the hunter and the Scout. You had the Elven ranger as a class only they could do Arcane shot. The Orc beastmaster was a similar class but Orc only, a lot of overlap. The Marksman was the dwarve version and the only one that could use guns, the scout was a rogue/hunter fusion. The rogue is a fusion of the Infiltrator, the assassin, the scout... etc. They really pulled alot of bits from those all their previous classes. This is why all 30 specs in the game are so diverse, THey also didn't want to limit classes to race, so now gun users and orcs/trolls can do arcane shots.

But I suppose it could work, it would be nice if they did something like you suggest, would show they were very interested in the lore of the classes, something we see so little of currently.

Slight lore correction
    Night Elves don't get their priestly powers from Elune, they get them from the light that shines within them, like every sentient humanoid has, their faith in Elune allows them to access this light power that shines brighter the more virtuous the vessel. This is warcraft canon, not my sayso.

Night elves do get special abilities from Elune in addition to their normal spells, this is true of night elf priests and druids, Starshards is one such, so is Starfall, Starfire, Moonfire - so the goddess does bestow power. The Moonshield is another example of this. Priests can't use Elune based spells in game, but druids can.

I don't know if Priests would be able to Moonfire and Starfire in a non-wow setting. All we know is that Tyrande can starfall as well as the highest order of Priestesses of the Moon, something that balance druids can do. It should also be brought to your attention that Priestesses of the Moon are the most revered class of Priests amongst the Night elves and are exclusive to females, there are other lesser ranks of priest that serve Elune and others that serve other Night Elf deities. Priestesses of the Moon are not just casters but also melee combatnts, sentinels are part of that order, and they ride out to battle unlike the other priest orders.

It should also be noted that the night elves have a polytheistic society, but they only revere Elune as a true Goddess, well as THE true Goddess and only she is worshipped. They revere other deities, respect them, some idolize them,and they have a near god status amongst the night elves too, but night elves know the difference. To outsiders it may seem that they worship all these beings, but they don't, they revere them, but worship Elune. In cataclysm you will visit the shrine of Goldrinn, Avianna, Aessina, Ursoc, Ursol and Marlone these are the other deities and demi-gods the night elves revere.

But a priests power comes from within.

I'd still just rather have the color of their heals changed. Some people would get confused with the names.
    Quote Originally Posted by RakuRaku

Night elf = White
    Undead =Light violet, or purple.
    Troll = Light violet, purple, or yellow.
    Tauren = Yellow, or gold orange
    Humans = light yellow
    Draenei = Light blue, maybe yellow.
    Gnomes = Light yellow.
    Dwarves = Light yellow.

Think that would be cool. Would make classes feel less generic. It'd be not just "Priest", but "Priest of Light" or "Priest of Elune".

Although that would involve renaming some talent trees and tweaking spells a bit (lore-wise, Draenei cannot have a Shadow tree... shadow-damaging spells with holy graphics and names would be... weird...)

As for those, who QQ that they would have trouble reading a guide: if you cannot memorize a couple of names for a spell or two, no guide will help you. Retards do not deserve indulgence.
    My RP Character №1 - Trillium Starwind - Night Elf Druid/Warrior
    My RP Character №2 - in progress, creating

Quote Originally Posted by RakuRaku
    Night elf = White
    Undead =Light violet, or purple.
    Troll = Light violet, purple, or yellow.
    Tauren = Yellow, or gold orange
    Humans = light yellow
    Draenei = Light blue, maybe yellow.
    Gnomes = Light yellow.
    Dwarves = Light yellow.
    So much this. I think it'd add a lot of versatility to the game. Having that said, so would having more spells with a Heroism/Bloodlust difference. Perhaps to prevent confusion just keep the icons the same, though? (Like Holy Light would have the same icon across the board, only for Tauren it'd be called Mu'sha's Light or whatever.)

At the end of the day I'd prefer more content over something fairly trivial like this, though.

I like the idea.

Perhaps to ease confusion all spells would have a default name that would show up on the Tooltip. For example:

Wrath of An'she
    (Holy Wrath)

This feature would be turned on by default, but could be disabled via an interface option.
    Roleplaying, hardcore Raiding, running LFR on the occasional weekend, PvPing, rolling alts, achievement hunting, pet battling, or just enacting an endless series of whims, I don't care how you play WoW. Just as long as you have fun doing it.

Ah, how many people are just reading the title and completely misunderstand what is being proposed.

I bet Blizzard already thought about this and just decided not to due to the additional graphics needed and the confusion it would create among the playerbase.
    Would be a nice boon to RPers though, and objectively wouldn't really change anything on the gameplay level.