Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Boomkins in Cata

@Vidur

I know *I* was not joking.

First, I do not like Moonkin Form. Not that I do not like it for looking the way it looks (even though Owlbeast look at more like... Owlbeasts, in WC3 than they do in WoW), but because there is absolutely no lore supporting Moonkins to be spellcasters. I am sorry if you do not like it, but no, there is no support to that. Take a look at the RPG books, check WoWwiki if you want. They are not remarkable spellcasters. They do have some spells, they are somewhat intelligent, but they are less intelligent, organised and more feral than the Night Elves, Tauren and so on. So no, nothing backs up the fact Balance Druids should have Moonkin Form to increase their spellcasting. I have said this several times in this forum and I will say it again: Druids are not Shifters, they turn into animals to provide something they do not have. What does Moonkin Form do, from a lore standpoint? Aye, more natural armour and strength =]

Second, Moonkin Form has downsides. ToL was taken away because Resto Druids could not use Balance spells in ToL Form and if they did not use the form their healing would be hurt, they would not be up to the level of other healers. Moonkin Forms does the same thing, kind of backwards. We need it to enhance our spellcasting (which is not supported by lore at all, no Balance Druids shapeshift what-so-ever), but whenever we must use a Restoration spell, we lose our form. You cannot fight a mob, put a HoT on yourself and then go back to casting your balance spells without losing SP, crit and haste or without using another GCD and wasting mana going back to Moonkin Form. In fights like I mentioned (Gunship), whenever you use the jetpack you lose Moonkin Form. Then you shift again, kill a mage, lose the form again, use it again. It is troublesome and we are the only spec that must face such things. Feral Cats are the same, but they do not use Mana at all. Also, similar situations happen before you have a higher lvl gear and Moonkins are well known for going OOM, needing talents like Intensity and Dreamstate to keep their mana up before they get to higher tiers of raiding.

So no, I do not support Moonkin Form in any way. It does not make sense lore wise, we cannot heal in it and cannot cast spells without losing a lot without it.

As for the rest of my post, I think Balance Druids may have better representation because of the things I mentioned before. Many Resto Druids are just bad at what they do, they would spam stuff using Grid, Healbot or Vuhdo and be perceived as good even though they are just spamming 2 spells (Rejuvenation and Wild Growth). When the xpac comes, this will not be the way to go anymore and some may be frustrated. Cats are still harder to play to Bears are not so widely played because tanking is not something most are willing to do. Balance is the a better option, not only because it is a ranged spec but also because it will keep a somewhat easy rotation.

No disdain of any sort, I just love Druids, Druid lore and I want things to make sense. I like how a Balance Druid plays, even though I think it needs to have more depth, a proc to watch, something different than a 2 DoTs + 2 nukes + 2 CDs we use and forget + 1 situational but very low damage spell. Moonkin Form is unnecessary, it is not justified by lore by any means and no Balance Druids ever shapeshifted.

See? A lot longer answer than before. You do not have to read it, it is not your job or anything like that. You may not like it, you may love the form and be annoyed by what I say, but it does not make what I just wrote any less true.

just keep boomkins where they are! nuff said and yeah i hate the form too they could atleast make it look respectable it looks shithouse.

Shapeshift into Moonkin Form. While in this form the armor contribution from items is increased by 120%, and increases the spell critical strike chance of all nearby friendly and raid targets within 100 yards by 5%. The Moonkin can not cast healing or resurrection spells while shapeshifted.
    The act of shapeshifting frees the caster of Polymorph and Movement Impairing effects.
    13% of base mana, Instant cast

as i see it, boomkin form will be optional in raids in cataclysm as long as there is another dude buffing the 5% raid crit.

The only talent that requires moonkin form is "owlkin frenzy" unless i overlooked something?