Page 1 of 2
LastLast

DK or Pally for solo old wow

Which is better DK or Pally for soloing old wow while its still there?

Re: DK or Pally for solo old wow

DK soloed OS 10

DK.

/thread.
    - Trim

15+ Year Old Account

Either will work just fine. Usually, any tank class can solo most things.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaster
    DK soloed OS 10
    Any will do fine really, and the difference, if any, is negligible. However, a DK did solo OS 10.
    Strikke 80 Holy Paladin/Darkspear US

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

Druids are pretty good too

A Prot Warrior can solo Doomwalker?

Just curious.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

DK > Paladin > Druid > Warrior for soloing old world content.

I'd go with a paladin just so I can heal myself.

Good for different things.

Paladins mitigate damage like no tomorrow (block in general + holy shield)

DKs are good for massive recovery from damage taken.

DKs do more damage while doing so, in my experience.

It's ez. Druid hands down. Clear stuff very fast in cat and only jump into bear if/when things get dicey.

Paladin. Holy Shield is monstrously overpowered against Vanilla content, you should fully block the majority of white attacks, and return damage every time you do. The DK spec used to solo OS 10 is pretty terrible for soloing most content, it was designed with that specific fight in mind, it has high self-healing (3 disease Death Strike build) and high magic damage mitigation, little AoE ability and no DK spec can do reflective damage. Short version, vanilla content is a lot closer to soloing heroics than it is to soloing raid bosses in BC or in Wrath, mostly physical damage, and few attacks that cannot be avoided/blocked, this plays to the strengths of a Paladin. The race would be closer, in my opinion, if DKs still had the old unholy blight. Based off the way their abilities work DKs and Paladins will spend roughly the same amount of time on bosses, Paladins will kill trash at least twice as fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I pity people who have gotten so insensate to disrespect and abuse from repetition that they have elevated being jaded to a virtue.

Quote Originally Posted by Fornaw
    Based off the way their abilities work DKs and Paladins will spend roughly the same amount of time on bosses, Paladins will kill trash at least twice as fast.
    I disagree, tbh. DKs have higher Damage on bosses for sure. Way higher, and comparable trash-damage.

It doesnt really make much difference on such low level content. The only difference is that a paladin can block all the attacks from the bosses, when DK's can do more damage and self heal more effectively.

Pally would be good since they have bubble and LoH so i would say pally but DK would also be good

Quote Originally Posted by Jartin
    I'd go with a paladin just so I can heal myself.
    Every tank besides druids have pretty good ways of healing themselves (Some might argue against warriors, but I've seen solo vids where they get bloodthirst from fury, which is 6% max health every 4 seconds)

It comes down to just a slight difference:

Paladins have block and block with WotLK Block Value im old content = full immunity
    Compared to paladins -% of damage - block value, DKs only have -% of damage, which means that there is more incoming damage left and even the most weak hitting enemys like a 100 per hit will still get to hurt the DK.

The other side is healing. Prot Paladins selfheal is worse than DKs. Casting holy light eats all mana and disables block,dodge,parry. DKs are healing against the damage while paladins are blocking it. Magic can't be blocked, so heavy magic using enemys are defeated easier as a DK, plus DKs have more Anti-Magic tools.

Both paladins and deathknights are very powerful solo classes.

Druids and warriors are a lot behind because of the way they absorb damage and heal.
    Warriors Shield Block isnt always up like holy shield and their healing is weaker.
    Druids heal and absorb through crits. Their weakness is that their powerful healing spells need them to drop their bear form for a moment and getting more damage while needing the healing can be a problem.

I'm using both, my paladin and my DK for soloing stuff. Paladin is awesome and really a bit OP in vanilla and BC content. My DK can solo Ick & Krick Heroic on Badgegear.
    If you want a class that can do "the most awesome stuff solo" try pally or dk.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Artefacts:
    • In ordner to better fit the current post-truth zeitgeist, we are going to rename alle occurences of "artefact" into "artebelieve".

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat
    I disagree, tbh. DKs have higher Damage on bosses for sure. Way higher, and comparable trash-damage.
    Try again, DK dps on bosses is going to be within 500 of paladin dps on a boss (remember no buffs). There's also the issue that Deathstrike does the least damage of any FU attack so Frost and Unholy tanks will take a massive nerf to their damage. Paladin damage scales up MASSIVELY in AoE situations because of HoR, SoComm, Holy Shield, Redoubt and Ret Aura. In order to approach that kind of AoE damage as a DK you've got to commit to Unholy (Frost won't work because you'll need to use most of your FU runes on deathstrikes, not howling blast, nor oblit for rime), which is a tree really focused on magical damage mitigation, which is going to be nearly worthless in vanilla content.

Quote Originally Posted by Astray
    It comes down to just a slight difference:

Paladins have block and block with WotLK Block Value im old content = full immunity
    Compared to paladins -% of damage - block value, DKs only have -% of damage, which means that there is more incoming damage left and even the most weak hitting enemys like a 100 per hit will still get to hurt the DK.

The other side is healing. Prot Paladins selfheal is worse than DKs. Casting holy light eats all mana and disables block,dodge,parry. DKs are healing against the damage while paladins are blocking it. Magic can't be blocked, so heavy magic using enemys are defeated easier as a DK, plus DKs have more Anti-Magic tools.

Both paladins and deathknights are very powerful solo classes.

Druids and warriors are a lot behind because of the way they absorb damage and heal.
    Warriors Shield Block isnt always up like holy shield and their healing is weaker.
    Druids heal and absorb through crits. Their weakness is that their powerful healing spells need them to drop their bear form for a moment and getting more damage while needing the healing can be a problem.

I'm using both, my paladin and my DK for soloing stuff. Paladin is awesome and really a bit OP in vanilla and BC content. My DK can solo Ick & Krick Heroic on Badgegear.
    If you want a class that can do "the most awesome stuff solo" try pally or dk.
    You're ignoring Judgment of Light and Sacred Shield as part of the Prot Paladin's self healing tools (okay so SS is an absorb, not much of a difference). Paladins also have the option of swapping to Seal of Light for a slight damage loss. Paladin self healing is significantly stronger than most people give it credit for, Paladin mitigation against Vanilla content is going to make DKs look like non-tanks by comparison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I pity people who have gotten so insensate to disrespect and abuse from repetition that they have elevated being jaded to a virtue.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrixstorm
    Every tank besides druids have pretty good ways of healing themselves
    Improved LotP is not bad, and so is Frenzied Regen + Survival Instincts (esp with FR 20% extra healing glyph). Don't know the exact numbers, but it's something like half the hp pool, which can be quite large as a bear.

Beyond that, savage defense (bear block) is up nearly 100% of the time, so a fair bit of damage is mitigated automatically.

Quote Originally Posted by Fornaw
    Try again, DK dps on bosses is going to be within 500 of paladin dps on a boss (remember no buffs). There's also the issue that Deathstrike does the least damage of any FU attack so Frost and Unholy tanks will take a massive nerf to their damage. Paladin damage scales up MASSIVELY in AoE situations because of HoR, SoComm, Holy Shield, Redoubt and Ret Aura. In order to approach that kind of AoE damage as a DK you've got to commit to Unholy (Frost won't work because you'll need to use most of your FU runes on deathstrikes, not howling blast, nor oblit for rime), which is a tree really focused on magical damage mitigation, which is going to be nearly worthless in vanilla content.
    I'm Blood on my DK, Prot on my Pal. My DK pulls 4k dps on bosses. My Paladin comes nowhere near that, on bosses. In tank-gear.

AoE? Sorry, have you played a DK? While I agree that Paladins have great AoE-capabilities, at least for burstthreat, but once they have their diseases and DnD up and rolling, DKs are not as far off as you apparantly think. And my point was that DKs are way higher on Bosses. Paladins are slightly ahead on trash.
    DKs do damage, take damage and heal damage.
    Paladin takes no damage, and whittles down opponents.

Regardless, it doesn't matter.