The new Rune System and Tanking.

It has been said by the Devs that with the rune system overhaul, there will be more space in a DK's rotation. While this isn't a huge problem for DPS DK's, I can see it becoming quite problematic for tanking. It is already quite annoying waiting for the CD on D&D or HB/not having runes up when adds come in, and with more space in the rotation, I can easily see DK tanking (especially on adds) become more rune-cd dependent. If we hit a "space" in our rotation, and then adds come, you are pretty screwed (assuming that you've used Blood Tap and ERW recently). I came across this thought while tanking the Tribunal in HoS.

How do you think that this should/will be handled? Do you also see the new rune system as problematic for tanking?

I usually tend toward optimism that the Devs will handle things well, but I'm really curious as to how this is going to work out.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Re: The new Rune System and Tanking.

They're making individual attacks hit harder. You don't need to open up using all your runes to keep a mob down.

The thing is with the current rune system you are wasting resources if you aren't always pressing buttons to put runes on CD. The new system allows you to conserve runes. As long as one of each rune is on Cd, you aren't wasting resources. Let's say you open up a fight with IT and PS and then hit BS, one of each rune is on CD. You can sit on your remaining three runes if you expect adds, or use them right away if you wish. It won't be a waste unless you use the next runes after the rune in question already refreshed, wasting cooldown time.

This allows for more thinking in rune management, and less wasting. Currently if you expect adds, we just sit on enough runes for a DnD, wasting potential dps on the current mob(s). New system lets you spread diseases or what not, or let's say throw a blood boil which will do more damage individually so a single blood boil should do a decent job at keeping aoe threat down for a short time.

Also they said there will be less aoe tanking in general, though when we start to outgear heroics again we'd be pulling like idiots again. By then we'll overgear content so even a tank losing threat from overzealous dps probably won't cause much harm.

well there are a few things you should take into consideration
    1)we do not how hard the attacks will hit for in cata
    2)we do not know if any threat coefficients will be altered
    3)we do not know how powerful vengeance will be
    4)we do not know if the cost of attacks will be altered.
    5)we do not know how often we'd even want to use DnD in the xpac considering CC is making its comeback.

there are just too many things that are going to be changed which will drastically change the environment of the gameplay and we cannot really make any effective estimations at this time.
    “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    They're greedy soulless monsters for not handing me everything for my 15 moneys a month!

15+ Year Old Account

As Albert already aid we currently have no idea how abilitied get changed, and how talents might affect them.
    For all we know Blizz might add a "reduces the cooldown of Death and Decay by 20 seconds" talent.

PS: I have to remind you that posting any alpha leak info is strictly prohibited. As much as I'd like to further discuss the old leaks, our policy says no to it, and I'll have to delete/edit any post containing some.

Quote Originally Posted by Zao
    As Albert already aid we currently have no idea how abilitied get changed, and how talents might affect them.
    For all we know Blizz might add a "reduces the cooldown of Death and Decay by 20 seconds" talent.

PS: I have to remind you that posting any alpha leak info is strictly prohibited. As much as I'd like to further discuss the old leaks, our policy says no to it, and I'll have to delete/edit any post containing some.
    good point
    danke
    “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    They're greedy soulless monsters for not handing me everything for my 15 moneys a month!

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft
    It has been said by the Devs that with the rune system overhaul, there will be more space in a DK's rotation. While this isn't a huge problem for DPS DK's, I can see it becoming quite problematic for tanking. It is already quite annoying waiting for the CD on D&D or HB/not having runes up when adds come in, and with more space in the rotation, I can easily see DK tanking (especially on adds) become more rune-cd dependent. If we hit a "space" in our rotation, and then adds come, you are pretty screwed (assuming that you've used Blood Tap and ERW recently). I came across this thought while tanking the Tribunal in HoS.

How do you think that this should/will be handled? Do you also see the new rune system as problematic for tanking?

I usually tend toward optimism that the Devs will handle things well, but I'm really curious as to how this is going to work out.
    hopefully with every move hitting harder, the threat will be more significant per hit, thus nullifying any worries. Also arn't they changing cost of abilities... so this could change things big time as well.
    *edit* also do not forget vengance