Deleted

Need a little help on my Death Knight

Hey guys, I could use a little help here.

I'm leveling my DK tank at the moment. I was wondering if any of you guys had some advice on gearing up, because joining random heroics as a tank the moment I hit 80 isn't probably going to work.
    Would it be smart to just respecc to dps untill I got the badges for my tanking gear? Or should I just try tanking right away (after being def capped for heroics ofc)?
    I don't have any friends or an active guild at the moment, so any help is appreciated.

-Trops

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Need a little help on my Death Knight

I went as dps to begin with. Got a few bits of DPS gear to make me not suck as much as I did in leveling gear, and then I went for tanking gear. Was pretty smooth. So yeah. That's my advice to you

I wouldn't try tanking right away. Grab some off-set pieces from ICC 5 mans, specifically the Feet from Devourer, Belt from Trash, back on the first boss in HoR, and any weapon really. Hopefully you would've filled in the rest of your slots with a few other misc dps/tank pieces including stand-ins for your eventual T9 set. Also farm the Black heart from reg TOC too, you should pick up a few other items while attempting to grab that because you have to run it a lot typically before you win a drop on it.

Once you have that stuff you can start queueing randoms, buying your T9 gear piece by piece until most of your pieces are decked out with above ilvl 200 tank gear.

No, this isn't what heroic content is tuned for, but the way people like to run heroics you need at least that much. You will still get pulled on sometimes, but usually the people who pull off you can take a few hits so it's not typically a big issue. Really this will always be an issue until you start getting raid gear because you'll just sometimes get people who vastly outgear you and it really can't be helped.

Deleted

Awesome. Thanks for the advice guys. :)

I would actually point you in a slightly different direction and it WILL be more painful in the short term but......

I would aim to grab all the tank gear you can while leveling including dropping some cash for craftables on your main. This should allow you to hit 20-25k unbuffed the day you hit 80. This will allow you to tank some heroics right off the bat. It will be very tough but will improve your tank skills no end. The faster ques will allow much quicker emblem and gear farming.

Some careful gear choices and a lot of hard effort in the beginning will pay off in the long run

Quote Originally Posted by Squishie

I would aim to grab all the tank gear you can while leveling including dropping some cash for craftables on your main. This should allow you to hit 20-25k unbuffed the day you hit 80. This will allow you to tank some heroics right off the bat. It will be very tough but will improve your tank skills no end. The faster ques will allow much quicker emblem and gear farming.
    If you have some tank experience, I would do this^^^...Just be prepared to deal with obnoxious idiots.

tank some normals and get D capped, then start tanking heroics, it will go faster that way then being random dps all the time.

I would actually point you in a slightly different direction and it WILL be more painful in the short term but......

Some careful gear choices and a lot of hard effort in the beginning will pay off in the long run
    this. it will be rough at the beginning but like he said, between improvin your tank skills early on, and how much faster it will be as a tank, itll be worth it

Quote Originally Posted by Skutch
    tank some normals and get D capped, then start tanking heroics, it will go faster that way then being random dps all the time.

this
    Just keep doing regular randoms until 80 to get some tank blue gear and most important of all get experience on how to tank. Most important thing as a tank is the experience of tanking. If you don't have that go do regulars until you get comfortable with the rotations using cool downs, quickly switching targets to taunt back lost mob etc. Pressure will also be less because everyone will be at same gear level as you.

Quote Originally Posted by Trops

I'm leveling my DK tank at the moment. I was wondering if any of you guys had some advice on gearing up, because joining random heroics as a tank the moment I hit 80 isn't probably going to work.
    Would it be smart to just respecc to dps untill I got the badges for my tanking gear? Or should I just try tanking right away (after being def capped for heroics ofc)?
    I don't have any friends or an active guild at the moment, so any help is appreciated.

-Trops
    Like others said: Get D-Capped. Buy some of those craftable pieces and pieces from heroics/badges. Should be ready to go soon enough. Good Luck!
    Individuals are not simple. They cannot be defined for easy reference in the manner of:The elves are a lithe, pointy-eared people who excel at poverty.

Deleted

This sounds like a fine plan. Though I see it happening that a lot will go like.."Oh a low health tank /leave". But I'll give it a try and if people keep leaving I'll just go with dps untill I got some better gear.

Thanks everyone!

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Trops

-Trops
    i would grab as much tank gear as u can thats what i did when i leveled my dk tank the lower instances can make the perfect area for tuning

If you're still leveling, there are quite a few chain quests in Northrend that would give you some decent tanking gear. You're better off gearing up as a tank now, because after gearing as DPS, it's generally difficult to get all your gear again for a different set. Upgrading gear, however, is much easier.

When i started gearing my DK as a tank I Q'd for randoms with mainly Naxx 10/25 gear, I think I had around 28k unbuffed and did fine. You will need to deal with those idiots that pull off you or start attacking shit before you have threat on it and then blame you for "being bad" but that never changes...My dk is now a MT for ICC25s and I still have that problem in heroics....