When to switch to Unholy

I've played all DPS Specs: Blood, DW Frost, and Unholy. However I've noticed that Unholy does less damage than Blood and Frost. I've searched the forums for information regarding Unholy Talents, Gems, Glyphs, and Rotations and have found very useful information. But in light of this information Unholy still fails in DPS compared to Blood and DW Frost.

My question is: When to switch to Unholy? Is perhaps my gear alittle low to support Unholy or perhaps my gems are lacking the umph needed to achieve greater dps in this spec. As writen above, I've researched rotations and specs but none seem to actually improve my situation. I hope this doesn't come off as "OMG I SUCK I NEED HELP" but rather a simple request of advice and possible explanation.

Thank you in advance,
    Jutebox - Armory - http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...oof&cn=Jutebox
    Yewen

Re: When to switch to Unholy

Presently the only time you really need to go Unholy DPS is when your raid needs the 13% magic dmg bonus and more or less ONLY if you have 4 set T9 bonus(making your blood disease able to crit) else go for Blood if you have a good 2hander or frost if you have 2 slow good 1handers.
    Thats about it.

UH does also require alot more disease management.

Cause I have no life, and I like it

When you get Heroic Bryntroll or Shadowmourne, you go Unholy sub-spec Frost.

It's not something that you just "switch" to because it's always better. You really should be sure, like the poster above me stated, that you have a REALLY good 2 hander though. Shadowmourne, Heroic Bryntroll, or Shadow's Edge. And you should be going with a frost subspec over blood.

Also, looking at your armory. Unless something has changed you shouldn't worry about going for socket bonuses of < +6 strength. You have a few that you went for that were only +4 strength, and I think that'll hurt you a bit. Also, enchant you gloves. You got them a month ago, so they really should be done by now. As UH, IIRC, the 15 str enchant is the usual favorite due to ghoul scaling.

Unholy is usually only noticeably better if you have a 25 icc or better weapon as well as good trinkets, at least from what i've experienced on my DK. Frost DW is probably your best bet until you get the gear for unholy.

Wasn't going to jump in but considering the conflicting answers i'm going to try to help out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ljungpung
    Presently the only time you really need to go Unholy DPS is when your raid needs the 13% magic dmg bonus and more or less ONLY if you have 4 set T9 bonus(making your blood disease able to crit) else go for Blood if you have a good 2hander or frost if you have 2 slow good 1handers.
    Thats about it.

UH does also require alot more disease management.
    Everything in here is correct minus the disease management as there really isn't any disease management that occurs more as unholy.

That being said you can spec unholy at any time with a blood subspec. I recommend though that you do get 4/5 t9 before you do.

Get rid of Glyph of Scourge Strike and Glyph of Dark Death and replace them with Glyph of Disease and Glyph of Icy Touch.

I honestly see nothing wrong with Unholy DPS. I'm usually top DPS in raids.
    Where the Unholy DK shines is in AoE DPS. I can usually pull about 16-18k DPS on group pulls.

True, Frost and Blood are better for single target DPS, but I just prefer Unholy to be honest. It's the spec I've used most so I know how to survive with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reknarok
    Get rid of Glyph of Scourge Strike and Glyph of Dark Death and replace them with Glyph of Disease and Glyph of Icy Touch.

I honestly see nothing wrong with Unholy DPS. I'm usually top DPS in raids.
    Where the Unholy DK shines is in AoE DPS. I can usually pull about 16-18k DPS on group pulls.

True, Frost and Blood are better for single target DPS, but I just prefer Unholy to be honest. It's the spec I've used most so I know how to survive with it.

Unholy truely does shine in terms of aoe dps but that is not the only reason to be unholy. Unholy brings very good single target dps being only passed by frost at times and blood in full bis arp gemming gear (very little ahead).

That being said i'd assume the OP is talking about single target which means the optimal glyphs would be:

Glyph of Ghoul
    Glyph of icy touch
    Glyph of dark death

not disease and not scourge (if you want to see why visit this thread here

15+ Year Old Account

locked because it's a duplicate thread.