Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst

Re: elemental shaman survivability

Quote Originally Posted by XemnasXD
    I love it when people are just like, Paladins? Just kite and Purge, duh! Shadow Priest, just kite and purge, duh! When in reality it doesn't work that way at all. A Shadow Priest will have no problems ripping to you shreads with DoTs before you even have time to counter attack. No amount of grounding totem or stoneclaw will save you even if you're using it on every CD. Between the buffs you have to purge off them before you can even do damage, their dots that can keep doing significant damage while they're rebuffing, fear, and some resil they will outlast you plain and simple. Kite and purge is the dumbest thing i have ever heard, if that priest has half a brain while you're busy slowing him down and running away he'll just be dotting while moving and rebuffing himself seeing as you won't be doing any damage while moving, frost shock is just going to get absorbed, inb4 the silence, inafter the mana burn, GG...

As for Paladins. Kite and Purge works on the dumb ones. The same problem occurs, you can't do damage while you're moving and if you stop to do damage you open yourself up for a wave a burst damage that is absolutely ridiculous. Again, god forbid they are wearing resil so you can watch them shrug off all your attacks and if you do manage to get them down watch them bubble and you're back at square one. If its a prot pally in pvp gear its worse.

Rogues/ferals are another bane of my existence. I know to trinket kidney rather than cheap but even with Cleansing totem down and keeping FS on them and having close to 1200 resil i've gotten my shit demolished by rogues in seconds and literally been in situations where i've died while i'll getting off thunderstorm. The only time i don't mind rogues is when im sitting at LM and that one TS i get off blast them off the edge.

Add DKs and Locks to that list and those are fights that if they're wearing the same lvl pvp gear and are equally skilled you are probably going to die if for no other reason that you'll find yourself in several situations where theres nothing you can do. Ele has so few good defenses its a very fine spec to play at a high skill level. If you don't ground the right spell at the right time you're probably going to die. If theres nothing you can ground at all then you should probably start running cause if one of your main defensive CDs is useless you can bet they're a class that has a waiting list of skills to just wreck your shit....

Rooting a target and running away is nothing new and most classes have a way to break roots or silence you or stop YOU from moving, and i don't mean something we can just ghost wolf out of and ignore. Most classes have a movement imparing effect that has to be trinketed, alot of classes have multiple ones or easily spamable ones or ways to close the distance. Our root, contrary to popular belief does not last 10 seconds, earthbind pulse last 8 and the root effect only last 5 at the most. If you want to use these in conjunction with Frost Shock to run away then knock yourself out but any class that allows you to successful kite and kill them they were an idiot in PvE gear cause.

Ele/Enh are one of the worst classes 1vs1, Enh isn't so bad cause they have a nice CD with wolves but if wolves are down then gg. You can go to any other forum and talk about what classes they lol @ in pvp and it'll be shamans. Our low health pool, lack of useful defensive CDs, and a host of other thing make us very weak alone. Get us in the right comp though and we can do some serious damage. Because all 3 Shaman specs work well in particular niches our arena representation is fairly high and even if you don't play resto you could still break 2k with the right group without much effort. In BGs if you have a healer watching your back you can blow up several people.

Its never easy to be bad. Its just a bit worse to be bad at elemental shaman :

most people say that its fairly easy to be bad...
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius
    Man, Vanilla was so cool, where the final boss of the instance dropped weapons that shared models with blues and greens!
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=17076#same-model-as
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=17074#same-model-as
    and he went on and listed about 16 more items...truly...a champion for logic

most people say that its fairly easy to be bad...
    Im sure they're just telling you that so you wont feel bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz
    Elemental shamans suffer a lot from their completely lack of mobility, wolf is easily countered, and if you're silenced you can't do squat anyway.
    We need to stand still to do damage, and that's were our spec falls flat unless you've got a group that supports you.

Even Boomkins are much better off then Elemental.
    Wait what? you have the best burst in pvp currently. That means you should suffer some penalties for having 15k damage + 5k crits all over the place. Im at 930resi as retri paladin + talent i have 24.3% damage reduction against players and i still find myself getting critted 9k lavaburst by equal geared elemental shamans.

Just like us Ret paladins who have the best defansive abilities for pvp we suffer that we have no effective CC at all, our "slow" doesnt slow at all. and if we want to kill anyone 1v1 we have 5-10seconds to do it per minute/2minutes.

PvP is about balance and while i can understand that there's no fun being controlled to the point where you cant do damage or avoid it there's not fun to have so little control over others that you can't put out any pressure.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

Quote Originally Posted by Arena Master Bobzor of The Horde
    Im sure they're just telling you that so you wont feel bad.
    ouch....my pride
    Man, Vanilla was so cool, where the final boss of the instance dropped weapons that shared models with blues and greens!

Quote Originally Posted by Esrgoode
    50% melee mitigation.....I assume you are talking about astral shift.. I thought that was 30% after a crit....
    he was referring to the fact that you are a dps caster that wears mail + shield, which would give around 50% physical damage mitigation just from armor

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingbear_grimbatol
    Wait what? you have the best burst in pvp currently. That means you should suffer some penalties for having 15k damage + 5k crits all over the place. Im at 930resi as retri paladin + talent i have 24.3% damage reduction against players and i still find myself getting critted 9k lavaburst by equal geared elemental shamans.

Just like us Ret paladins who have the best defansive abilities for pvp we suffer that we have no effective CC at all, our "slow" doesnt slow at all. and if we want to kill anyone 1v1 we have 5-10seconds to do it per minute/2minutes.

PvP is about balance and while i can understand that there's no fun being controlled to the point where you cant do damage or avoid it there's not fun to have so little control over others that you can't put out any pressure.
    yep, it finally happened..

A retridin qq-ing that he doesnt have any effective CC :'(
    Hammer of justice anyone ? Stunning anyone as an instant cast whithout the need to be in melee distance. Biggest faceroll char in pvp IMO.

Deleted

I love it when people are just like, Paladins? Just kite and Purge, duh!

It really is quite that simple. Situational, but still, it is quite simple.

Just try to hang around cliffs, edges or stuff u can toss ur foes from.

Herald of the Titans Baabinator's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89
    Just try to hang around cliffs, edges or stuff u can toss ur foes from.
    Please tell this to blizzard, so we get a new spell:

[Create Cliff] 30 yds
    Creates a cliff. Right there. Now go ahead and Thunderstorm someone towards it. ALSO WORKS IN ARENA

OMGMOGMG
    Scars show you the remnants and failures of the past.

~¡¡¡!!!AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP ASKING ABOUT MY AVATAR, I DON'T KNOW!!!¡¡¡~

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Baabinator
    Please tell this to blizzard, so we get a new spell:

[Create Cliff] 30 yds
    Creates a cliff. Right there. Now go ahead and Thunderstorm someone towards it. ALSO WORKS IN ARENA

OMGMOGMG
    I like the way you think...heh just make us have a spell that raises a pillar of earth of x yd radius maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Arena Master Bobzor of The Horde
    I already stated warlocks are a lost game.
    Erm with shadowpriest just keep cleansing up and ground/shock that thingy they always want to keep up(cant recall the exact name><) and donnot get cought in a fear, just keep him at distance with frostshocks and when he comes close just knock him back. it can even be worth trinketing the range fear/disarm shizzle they got going on to avoid being cought in a fear. and dispel their shields etc.
    Vs. Frostmages: avoid getting cought in that first sheep. If you're dueling just start with a grounding down and try to keep some pressure up right away and its really easy to predict when they're deep freezing so just ground it. And for the love of god fake cast counterspell. just fake a heal as soon as you're below 80% or something so you can keep on playing without having to worry about it for a bit. and just purge shields and wards yadayada...
    Rogues will generally open with cheap shot(they'll only open with garotte when you've beaten them a few times already lol) Just use thunderstorm right b4 cheap shot breaks so he doesnt have time to land a kidney. then just keep on kiting him. The ideal scenario is if he's using cloak in the start. just keep on kiting with earth binding and make sure to keep searing totem/cleansing down and flameshock up.
    But if you're getting killed by resto droods all this wont help you anyways.... :
    I lol'd

Anyway... ive been playing an ele shaman for a while .. been resto in arena but went ele for some fun and quick games.

First off i can say, you NEEED over 1k resil...
    second, if u get locked out youre fucked... its impossible to avoid even with grounding.. if a dk does it right he can lock u out for like 17 seconds, by that time you're obviously dead
    rogues are just rediculous, if theyre smart, youre dead, if they have CD's, youre dead regardless...
    locks, depending on spec and pet can be a pain, IE their fel locking u out, chain fearing, stupid burst... enough said
    warriors arent as bad as others, just dont let them chain charge u ( careful with ur thunderstorm) and watch for spell reflect, other than that i dont have TOO much trouble with them
    mages.... i can not beat 1v1, grounding doesnt do shit if theyre smart they just thow out an ice lance, and ur done basically. oh and deep freeze, and the fact that they have 6 things shooting at u ( water ele, mirrior image and themselves)... AND ice block twice, and invis and sheep and evocate lol... the list goes on
    Balance druids, toss up.
    pallies, easy, esp when u throw up a grounding RIGHT b4 they HOJ... hahaha man i love that... then purge the wings and its over =)....
    enhance shamans... grounding, wind shear... ya and you cant root em... soooo ur dead!!
    hunters you dont stand a chance if they know what theyre doing... the shit they have to counter us is just insane.. i dont even have to explain someone on here already did
    Spriests CAN be a pain but they can be easily beaten... but the ones ive encountered are pretty good at stompin the grounding...

ANYWAY all im saying is thunderstorm doesnt do really anything half the time.... the root from EB totem doesnt let u get very far seeing as how u blow a GCD to go back to caster form and shift back in makes it useless against most... grounding has to be so incredibly precise.. its also useless half the time... Im not saying we cant beat any class because we can if EVERYTHING goes right... which more often than not doesnt... we get locked out WAY too easily and being able to do nothing for 8 seconds ( counterspell) is rediculous... dont get me wrong i love playing ele and it can be EXTREMELY powerful but it can get really frustrating.... one more thing its hard to sit there and purge when ur trying to burst someone down b4 they lock u out... freedom wolf was MUCH needed and taking away our fire nova stun was absolutely absurd i have NO idea why they even thought we didnt need it because i helped SO much in pvp... oh well it is what it is!!

Have fun and GL ele shammies =)
    "Grammar is important. Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse & helping your uncle jack off a horse."

1v1 will never be balanced. at least in cata it will be more about bg's and that's where ele shamans shine.

Quote Originally Posted by lcarnegie
    1v1 will never be balanced. at least in cata it will be more about bg's and that's where ele shamans shine.
    which is a shame because it means that a shaman who is alone is a dead shaman in most cases and probably the first to die in group cases because everyone knows they can go to town on us...