Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Alienware M15x -- Good for WoW??

This is what I am thinking of buying, just under 2000 bucks.
    Will it run WOW at max res and max settings?
    How do I tell what it will run well at?

Processor:
    Intel® Core™ i7-720QM Quad Core Processor 1.6GHz (2.8GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache)

Video Card:
    1GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 260M

Memory:
    6GB DDR3 at 1333MHz

Hard Drive:
    250GB SATAII 7,200RPM

Sound:
    Internal High-Definition 5.1 Surround Sound Audio

Thanks for the help!
    "I don't agree with you on that, I'm going to have to check Google." -Martin, Role Models.

Deleted

Re: Alienware M15x -- Good for WoW??

Not bad id say it would handle wow decently, just because of the processor, but the hardrive is very weak, graphics card isnt the best either. Im abouts to buy this http://configure.euro.dell.com/dells...=D005611&s=dhs for £500 ($800 i think). From experience i should be able to play full wow graphics, at 60fps.

10+ Year Old Account

I forgot to say, this is a laptop.
    "I don't agree with you on that, I'm going to have to check Google." -Martin, Role Models.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by wildrooster27
    I forgot to say, this is a laptop.
    Its not bad, but i bet i could find a cheaper one just as good / better for you - gimme a few mins.

Deleted

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...en&s=dhs&cs=19

Wont let me link the build i made, gothrough each component, upgrade the processor to the I7, then the ram to 8gb, the graphics hard to the ati radeon, then upgrade the hardrive to 1tb. Build i made came upto $1560

Quote Originally Posted by Warchief94
    4GB -> 8GB RAM upgrade is totally worthless for gaming computer today, and horribly overpriced on that calculator. Really not worth dropping $320 on zero gain.

Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah
    4GB -> 8GB RAM upgrade is totally worthless for gaming computer today, and horribly overpriced on that calculator. Really not worth dropping $320 on zero gain.

Wronge, windows 7 64 bit supports 8gb of total ram, pro supports 16gb. If anything, the extra 4gb ram leaves plenty of space for skype, vent, recording equipment, and general windows 7 stuff.

Wronge, windows 7 64 bit supports 8gb of total ram, pro supports 16gb. If anything, the extra 4gb ram leaves plenty of space for skype, vent, recording equipment, and general windows 7 stuff.
    Windows 7 64bit supports 8GB of RAM or more, but nothing, and I really mean nothing you do will fill it while playing games on it. You can load Excel, Photoshop and WoW at the same time if you're using 3 monitors, and you might run out of RAM while editing 10mpix photos while playing WoW at the same time if you have few extra hands and heads. Vent, skype, Firefox, MSN, IRC, Spotify and whatnot loaded along with WoW will still use only approximately 1GB of RAM leaving plenty unused. Paying $320 extra is really honestly not worth it unless you're 100% sure you actually ever use full 4GB even. And if memory is a problem, it's much cheaper to add afterwards than paying double for it for OEMs.

edit:

Only even remotely reasonable scenario for having more than 4GB of RAM while playing WoW is multiboxing if you have more than 2 clients running at the same time on same computer.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah
    Windows 7 64bit supports 8GB of RAM or more, but nothing, and I really mean nothing you do will fill it while playing games on it. You can load Excel, Photoshop and WoW at the same time if you're using 3 monitors, and you might run out of RAM while editing 10mpix photos while playing WoW at the same time if you have few extra hands and heads. Vent, skype, Firefox, MSN, IRC, Spotify and whatnot loaded along with WoW will still use only approximately 1GB of RAM leaving plenty unused. Paying $320 extra is really honestly not worth it unless you're 100% sure you actually ever use full 4GB even. And if memory is a problem, it's much cheaper to add afterwards than paying double for it for OEMs.
    Your confused, the operating system doesnt use 4gb at any one time, GAMES use a maximum (generally) of 4gb of ram, its definately worth getting the extra ram just for background performance, so it doesnt have to dip into your 4gig of pure gaming performance ram.

*edit* If you have 4gb of ram, wow will use ALL of that if it can.

Your confused, the operating system doesnt use 4gb at any one time, GAMES use a maximum (generally) of 4gb of ram, its definately worth getting the extra ram just for background performance, so it doesnt have to dip into your 4gig of pure gaming performance ram.
    Right now, I have the following open in 64bit Win7 (for shits & giggles mainly):

WoW game client
    Photoshop CS4 x64 with 5 of the "old world panoramas" open in it
    Spotify
    Firefox with 2 tabs
    MSN
    Ventrilo client 3.05 (x64)

Task Manager reports 1169 megs of ram available while I'm standing in Dalaran, so I'm still under 3 gigs used.

Can you in any way justify increasing the price of the laptop configuration by 25% for something that is not going to be used under any normal circumstances by 99% of people reading this forum?

Nop. Task Manager says ~960 megs used by Wow.exe, and over 1 gig physical memory available. WoW is not using all available RAM, and neither will any game. SuperFetch (the Win Vista/7 built-in disc cache) will.
    Trolling should be.

He isnt confused whats he is sayng is thats it is too much RAM and its true, at least in the "WOW" world, with W7 and wow runing I use a total of 1.75GB of ram, with 4GB i can still load a butload of programs without even being close to 4GB, more RAM not used doesnt make a system faster, 8GB is completely overkill.

Deleted

Think about what you just said, wow is MINIMIZED aka not displaying the graphics to you, ergo, not draining your resources. The above system with the changes i suggested will allow playing wow on high quality graphics in HD, whilst being able to record gameplay, have skype open if he wants, maybe his anti virus, or any downloads he may have on the go, WITHOUT it effecting his game on wow. Anybody with less than 4gb ram can tell you if you run a virus scanner, or something as in depth as that, it effects wows performance. Your wow isnt using all of ur resources because a) you dont have many to use and b) its minimized. When you try load wow back up, takes 2-3 seconds on a decent pc because its loading the graphics up, and using more resources.

I have a av runing ( not actively, but common you want to game with a scan going...), logitech software, daemon tools, most services, realtek software etc, and who told you I cheked the amount of ram minimized? I have a G13 with a small screen that can show while others things pc use.
    I usualy download while playing the problem becomes traffic on the network, not the ram.

Anybody with less than 4gb ram can tell you if you run a virus scanner, or something as in depth as that, it effects wows performance.
    Bullshit. Virus scanners take about 150 megs of RAM tops, the problem is the heuristic scanning engine which loads CPU by 10-50% during the scan depending on AV package. Current 3-4 core CPU's will not have this problem since virus scan can run truly on the background in idle cores.

Your wow isnt using all of ur resources because a) you dont have many to use and b) its minimized. When you try load wow back up, takes 2-3 seconds on a decent pc because its loading the graphics up, and using more resources.
    Bullshit #2 ... When I tested with all stuff open, I had WoW focused and on top in primary monitor (1920x1080) with graphics set to "ultra" in windowed/maximized mode, and on second monitor photoshop, firefox, ventrilo, spotify and task manager on top to show the realtime graphs. 4GB of RAM is all that is needed for normal home use today, or 6GB for triple channel memory, everything above it is overkill unless you're working on 3d-modeling Avatar2 or something like that.
    Trolling should be.

Personaly I would go with 6GB already on the safe side and some futureproofing.

Deleted

If your wanting to play wow on full graphics, safely, and with good frame rate, go with the 8gig,

15+ Year Old Account

Think about what you just said, wow is MINIMIZED aka not displaying the graphics to you, ergo, not draining your resources.
    Wrong. WoW's loaded in memory at that point, so minimizing it doesn't lessen its impact to your RAM.

If your wanting to play wow on full graphics, safely, and with good frame rate, go with the 8gig,
    I'm not sure how many different people need to tell you that 8GB RAM is overkill for a gaming PC before you'll believe them and stop giving out incorrect advice.

This guy has no clue what he is talking about or is just a troll

You will never need 8gigs for WoW and I really doubt you will need 8gigs for any modern game either. Even if you multitask like a madman.

Just get 4. Maybe 6 if you are paranoid, but even that much isn't needed and won't really be used. Regardless 8GB is overkill

In reply to OP, yes the laptop plays WoW just fine. I don't own one myself but I use my friends m15 every time I go to his house, because i'm too lazy to drag my desktop along. It plays wow on all ultra w/ AAx2 great. Even high load areas like Dalaran load pretty quick and rarely do I see my fps dip too low on it.

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Deleted

8GB is hardly a must have, but its definately nice to have. As i said, if you are running eg fraps for your guild whilst raiding a 25man icc, with full graphics, ventrilo open and any other extra you might want, the extra ram will help with ur systems performance. Im neither a fool, or a troll im speaking from my experience over the last 4-5 years, although having 4gb and 8gb of ram will make NO different to u whilst playing wow alone, you can run up all the background programs, even add a few monitors to dual screen or playing on a high resolution monitor / tv. The way i see it compared to what ur spending, its not much extra, and just having the peace of mind to know if sometime soon, and yes its a possibility, that a game that requires more than 4gb might come up.