Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is a Disc priest needed for 10man Lich King normal?

So, as the title says, is a disc priest really needed?

My guild started attempts last night on the Lich King 10man normal. I had heard a disc priest is nice for the fight but couldn't quite remember if it was normal or heroic they were needed.

I found that the initial dmg of infest wasn't enough to break through the shields, so i was getting hardly any mana back.

I usually play holy, so would it be more useful to stay holy? or is there some other mechanic disc is useful for?

Here's a link to my armory just in case it's relevant
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...oroth&cn=Heele

PS. I don't have a proper gear set for disc.

Re: Is a Disc priest needed for 10man Lich King normal?

Disc can trivialize infests on either Heroic on Normal - but if you're not struggling with topping people off after infests, don't worry about it.

"It may be your $14.99, but it's the raid's $374.75" -- Ralask <Nether>, Senjin.
    Mage Moderator | Forum Guidelines | MMO IRC | Arcane Mage FAQ | TT7 R.I.P.

10+ Year Old Account

Our guild did without a Discipline Priest so it's certainly doable.
    If you time prayer of healing just right, you can negate most of the Infest mechanic.
    I would advise you to stay Holy as it is what you know and what you're geared for.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

alright, sounds like a plan. I do know how to play disc effectively, i think :P

Ill try again as holy tonight.

Disc isn't required for LK 10, and if your main spec is Holy, I'd suggest sticking with it. I'd suggest even more strongly sticking with it given that you don't have an appropriate Disc set.

The primary purpose of bring Disc to normal is managing Infest, but in a 10-man situation, Holy works with that just fine. A precast PoH on ranged and CoH on melee can easily allow Holy to cover the Infest single-handedly. In fact, depending on the positioning when the Infest goes out, if you're stacked waiting for Val'kyrs, you can even skip PoH and just use CoH, letting HL splash, a Druid WG, or a Shaman CH cover the rest. PWS is still an easier way of managing Infest, since they should still be mostly covered even if you're picked up by Val'kyrs, or out of position from a Defile, but it's not enough reason to require a Disc Priest for 10-man, especially if you're not having trouble managing the Infest without one.

That said, I think B&S is also a compelling reason to stay Holy, assuming Infest isn't a problem. Set up a macro to cast it on the Defile target, and it can more or less trivialize that mechanic for 10-man, pretty much leaving only the Val'kyrs as a challenge for P2.

Quote Originally Posted by Heely
    alright, sounds like a plan. I do know how to play disc effectively, i think :P

Ill try again as holy tonight.
    Power Word: Shield > Power Word: Shield > Power Word: Shield > Power Word: Shield > Prayer of Mending > Power Word: Shield > Power Word: Shield > Power Word: Shield > Power Word: Shield > Power Word: Shield > Power Word: Shield > Prayer of Mending

hard stuff.

its really face roll, and so much better then holy especially with the 15% buff atm.
    http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/1...p10records.png
    Signature too large, resize please.

Normal? No.

Hard mode? It sure helps.
    This space for rent.

I know its easy, the problem i had been having is that the infest dmg wasn't enough to break the shield and give me my mana back.

I know its easy, the problem i had been having is that the infest dmg wasn't enough to break the shield and give me my mana back.
    If this is your issue, then you're refreshing PWS too much. First, don't PWS the tanks, because it'll proc Rapture on that single shield rather than on the other 8-9 people. Also, you can, instead, refresh PWS every other Infest. That is, only refresh a PWS if it won't last to the next Infest.

I would generally recommend against this, but if you're having trouble timing that for whatever reason, you can experiment with downranking PWS specifically for managing Infests and find the one that is just small enough to be popped by Infest, so you're guaranteed a Rapture proc. The reason I suggest against it is because the 15% makes that difficult to do, and timing it every other Infest also frees up more of your time to help with other things.

Either way, since your main spec is Holy, there really isn't a good reason to switch to Disc for Normal LK 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuq
    Either way, since your main spec is Holy, there really isn't a good reason to switch to Disc for Normal LK 10.
    Ok - while I would agree that disc priests aren't required for LK-10 normal I can't really agree with this. There are good reasons to be disc in LK-10 if you have the spec.

• Easier Infests - even if only a bit easier than pre-Hotting & a PoH
    • Easier Mana management - LK is a long fight, discs longevity helps it
    • Stronger single target heals - important in quite a few phases

The big advantage of going holy in LK-10 is B&S. So it comes down to this - if your dps are failing on defile - go holy, otherwise disc has the edge. If you're holy and don't have B&S specced - then respec or go disc

Is it needed? No its not
    Will it make the encounter easier on your heals? yes definitely

I did it with myself as holy, a shaman and a druid if i remember. Circle is rly pro to top off infest and you can still bubble the defile target, so disc is NTO necessary but it does help.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Calendra12345
    Power Word: Shield > Power Word: Shield > Power Word: Shield > Power Word: Shield > Prayer of Mending > Power Word: Shield > Power Word: Shield > Power Word: Shield > Power Word: Shield > Power Word: Shield > Power Word: Shield > Prayer of Mending

hard stuff.

its really face roll, and so much better then holy especially with the 15% buff atm.
    eleven times the shield in 10 man? :P

I did it with the 5% buff without disc priest, and back then we were in mostly ilvl 245 and 232.
    I don't get this game

Quote Originally Posted by Azyoulike
    Ok - while I would agree that disc priests aren't required for LK-10 normal I can't really agree with this. There are good reasons to be disc in LK-10 if you have the spec.

• Easier Infests - even if only a bit easier than pre-Hotting & a PoH
    • Easier Mana management - LK is a long fight, discs longevity helps it
    • Stronger single target heals - important in quite a few phases

The big advantage of going holy in LK-10 is B&S. So it comes down to this - if your dps are failing on defile - go holy, otherwise disc has the edge. If you're holy and don't have B&S specced - then respec or go disc
    dont forget the defile doesnt tick as long as your pw:s is on.

Quote Originally Posted by xebtria
    eleven times the shield in 10 man? :P
    PET

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Does being disc help?

Yes.

Is it necessary; hell no

Even on 10 man heroic i think infest aint that much of a problem,

25 man, Yes you need a disc. i do not see it doable without one.
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBlade
    Every new dps trinket in the game should be itemised exactly and perfectly for you and also be an upgrade over your current trinkets.
    If this doesn't happen, the game is broken beyond horrific terrible belief and is not worth playing.
    http://www.wow-heroes.com/character/...scale/nysalia/
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/guilds/225579/

15+ Year Old Account

good call.
    but are you sure infest affects pets? since the tooltip says "Deals 6598 to 7402 Shadow damage to all enemy players within 50000 yards."
    as you can see here http://www.wowhead.com/spell=70541

Quote Originally Posted by xebtria
    good call.
    but are you sure infest affects pets? since the tooltip says "Deals 6598 to 7402 Shadow damage to all enemy players within 50000 yards."
    as you can see here http://www.wowhead.com/spell=70541
    for if it overaggroes lich king..

I found that the initial dmg of infest wasn't enough to break through the shields, so i was getting hardly any mana back.
    You need to downrank your PW:S on normal for it to break.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account

yea i think disc is handy but not essential, and with this icc buff a whole 10 man raid (apart from tanks sometimes) shielded for infest uses a bit of mana and infest doesnt break it so no raptures hardly (but even on lich mana is not an issue for me), i alternate between top rank shield and rank 12 shield i use when mana goes down a bit for infest, they break off it but im not using 4 set for disc as itd be too much dmg absorb.. just make sure you get infest healed up quickly or its a bitch to heal off and bubbles help immensely for defile too, can save a raid if defile target shielded quick enough
    ........THE WRITING'S ON THE WALL !!!!!