Thread: My new pc.

My new pc.

http://img217.imageshack.us/i/rwew25.png/

Graphicscard: Club 3D HD5770 - Radeon HD 5770 - PCI Express 2.1 x16 - 1 GB GDDR5
    Motherboard: Asus Crosshair IV Formula - Moederbord - ATX - AMD 890FX - Socket AM3 - UDMA133, SATA-600 (RAID), eSATA - Gigabit Ethernet of ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 -ATX - AMD 870 - Socket AM3
    Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T / 2.8 GHz - Socket AM3 - L3 6 MB - Box
    RAM: Corsair 6GB
    Win7

Is it good enough for 2010 and future games?

Can someone tell my if a Serial ATA 300 harddisk can be connected on a motherboard with a ATA-133, Serial ATA-600 (RAID), eSATA port ?

Re: My new pc.

I would get a faster CPU cause for games that's almost all it matters. Video card looks good and RAM will be ok.

If you plan on over-clocking the CPU then ks.

Quote Originally Posted by op3l
    I would get a faster CPU cause for games that's almost all it matters. Video card looks good and RAM will be ok.

If you plan on over-clocking the CPU then ks.
    Faster ? I thought this one was pretty fast.
    I dont have many knowledge on CPU's but did you noticed its an Multicore X6 ?

Maybe this one then ?
    http://www.azerty.nl/0-1127-269743/a...rocessor-.html

I mean a higher clock speed. But honestly that chip is easily over-clockable so you should be able to get 3.3 or 3.4ghz out of that easily.

I am no expert in over-clocking though.

As far as if this system is good enough for 2010 and beyond.... yes, yes it is.

Quote Originally Posted by op3l
    I mean a higher clock speed. But honestly that chip is easily over-clockable so you should be able to get 3.3 or 3.4ghz out of that easily.

I am no expert in over-clocking though.

As far as if this system is good enough for 2010 and beyond.... yes, yes it is.
    okay thanks for the advice

Right now, if you want a pc purely for gaming, don't bother with hexacores. If you are not planning on heavily overclocking it (which I assume, seeing you have little to no experience) it is going to be slower for most games compared to faster clocked dual cores.

My advice would be, get either a 2.8 GHz Core I7 or a 3.0 Dual Core processor like the E8400 and overclock it. Right now I got my E8400 on 3.8GHz and I can run every game at max with 1920x1200 easily.

Quad cores, perhaps, but hexacores will only give you benefits when you do lots of video-encoding and work with big files. It will do you no good for gaming.
    "If you need to add '10char' to be able to post, don't bother posting at all."

Quote Originally Posted by skyflight

Is it good enough for 2010 and future games?

you want to be safe for the future so get an i7 i have a i7 930 and its pretty futureproof atm

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbe

you want to be safe for the future so get an i7 i have a i7 930 and its pretty futureproof atm
    Technically speaking, i wouldnt say buying an I7 is at all needed at this moment in time, especially if all your wanting is to play wow on full graphics in cataclysm. Around 2.5GHZ would be a minimum processor speed to garuntee good performance on wow, wrether thats a core2 quad or its an i5. Pair that with windows 7, a good 6gb of ram and a decent 1gb graphics card with a decent hardrive, and your sorted for the next 2 years minimum.

Hello,

As far as I can see from reading benchmarks for the x6 AMD processor, it's a piece of trash in comparison to an I7 920, 930, or faster, and is even beat out by AMDs Black Edition x4 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-727-_-Product I would go with the one I linked if you are set on going with an AMD processor, but I would recommend just going with Intel.)

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Warchief94
    Technically speaking, i wouldnt say buying an I7 is at all needed at this moment in time, especially if all your wanting is to play wow on full graphics in cataclysm. Around 2.5GHZ would be a minimum processor speed to garuntee good performance on wow, wrether thats a core2 quad or its an i5. Pair that with windows 7, a good 6gb of ram and a decent 1gb graphics card with a decent hardrive, and your sorted for the next 2 years minimum.
    A Core2Quad at 2.5GHz hardly guarantees good performance in raiding. For 5 and 10-man, sure, but hardly a guarantee for 25-man.

I'd say an overclocked i7 is about as future-proof as you can get for now. However, trying to future-proof for years down the road is a tall order. Socket types change constantly. Die fabs constantly change. In a few years, PCIe or DDR3 could be replaced by the next big thing (though I don't know of anything in the pipe right now, but I haven't researched it either).

If I had to put money on a CPU to last for a few years, I'd probably go with an overclocked i7. For a more easily upgraded platform, I'd probably go with something AM3 (since it looks like 1156 and 1366 are soon to be phased out), likely a Phenom II x4 965 BE. The x6's are just too new. The motherboard manufacturers (BIOS writers, more accurately, I suppose) haven't gotten them 100% yet. On top of that, the extra cores are useless to the vast majority of computer owners.

Is that the 6core CPU from AMD? In that cause i think you are better off with quad core from AMD or Intel. We tested it at work, and it works better for PC's that use Virtual programs like VMware's Hyper-V etc, so a server CPU, but maybe its not the 6core CPU.

Even though, yes its good for future games.
    80 Death Knight
    80 Rogue
    80 Priest

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz
    A Core2Quad at 2.5GHz hardly guarantees good performance in raiding. For 5 and 10-man, sure, but hardly a guarantee for 25-man.

I'd say an overclocked i7 is about as future-proof as you can get for now. However, trying to future-proof for years down the road is a tall order. Socket types change constantly. Die fabs constantly change. In a few years, PCIe or DDR3 could be replaced by the next big thing (though I don't know of anything in the pipe right now, but I haven't researched it either).

If I had to put money on a CPU to last for a few years, I'd probably go with an overclocked i7. For a more easily upgraded platform, I'd probably go with something AM3 (since it looks like 1156 and 1366 are soon to be phased out), likely a Phenom II x4 965 BE. The x6's are just too new. The motherboard manufacturers (BIOS writers, more accurately, I suppose) haven't gotten them 100% yet. On top of that, the extra cores are useless to the vast majority of computer owners.
    Do remember this WOW, and even though the game has recieved graphical updates, do remember people including myself, 5 and a half years ago used to play wow on a single core pentium 4 processor. Although the processor makes up for a conciderable amount of performance with speed, the ram, and graphics card also play a pretty big role. If you want to play the very best of games, with the very best of graphics then by all means it worth getting a much better one, but for me personally, i play wow, call of duty modern warfare 2, games like that, and i play both with ULTA graphics on, with a phenom triple core processor running at 2.2ghz, a rather weak ati 4350 512mb graphics card and 4gb ram on -32bit vista.

15+ Year Old Account

Do remember this WOW, and even though the game has recieved graphical updates, do remember people including myself, 5 and a half years ago used to play wow on a single core pentium 4 processor. Although the processor makes up for a conciderable amount of performance with speed, the ram, and graphics card also play a pretty big role. If you want to play the very best of games, with the very best of graphics then by all means it worth getting a much better one, but for me personally, i play wow, call of duty modern warfare 2, games like that, and i play both with ULTA graphics on, with a phenom triple core processor running at 2.2ghz, a rather weak ati 4350 512mb graphics card and 4gb ram on -32bit vista.
    I'm not really sure what you're trying to argue here. Are you arguing against planning an upgrade path? The only thing I got out of that mess of text is that captain RAM upgrade is using a 32-bit OS.

Also, I'd love to know your framerate in WoW on Ultra during combat in a 25-man raid setting [edit: at higher than 1024x768 resolution].

Deleted

I'm not really sure what you're trying to argue here. Are you arguing against planning an upgrade path? The only thing I got out of that mess of text is that captain RAM upgrade is using a 32-bit OS.

Also, I'd love to know your framerate in WoW on Ultra during combat in a 25-man raid setting [edit: at higher than 1024x768 resolution].
    a good 20-30 depending on the fight, which is completely playable. Im trying to argue that you dont need an INSANELY OMG COMPUTER and that its a MUST to put it together urself, and get the very best on the market, for WoW. My point is that not everybody is on a £50,000 a year job (not sure how much that is in the US) and that not everybody can afford these things, you dont NEED a super duper core speed computer, for wow on full graphical settings you need an average/higher end computer, which is made up of a decent processor with decent speed, but aswell as speed a decent amount of ram (Windows 7 64bit, get 6 gigs, -32bit get 4gigs, as with vista) and a decent graphics card. If you want 60fps in a 25man icc raid, fair enough, but if your happy spending a fair amount less money on a prebuilt system and take away the hastle and play with a decent 30 fps, then by all means do it.

15+ Year Old Account

£50,000 = $73,865 USD. I earn $39,000 USD or £26,399. My computer cost $1,100 USD or £744. You're right. You don't need a super computer. You just have to buy the right parts and plan a proper upgrade path for later.

And do you realize you're arguing with me (based on budget) for suggesting an i7 or Phenom II x4 965 in a thread where the OP planned to buy a Phenom II x6?

Deleted

£50,000 = $73,865 USD. I earn $39,000 USD or £26,399. My computer cost $1,100 USD or £744. You're right. You don't need a super computer. You just have to buy the right parts and plan a proper upgrade path for later.

And do you realize you're arguing with me (based on budget) for suggesting an i7 or Phenom II x4 965 in a thread where the OP planned to buy a Phenom II x6?
    Im argueing with you that you dont need an I7 or a phenom IIx6, and that its simply not needed to play wow right now, and more than likely not in cataclysm. Dont get me wrong, it I7 is an amazing processor and it will play wow like a dream, but you could spend less money a processor that will play wow just as good.

15+ Year Old Account

Im argueing with you that you dont need an I7 or a phenom IIx6, and that its simply not needed to play wow right now, and more than likely not in cataclysm. Dont get me wrong, it I7 is an amazing processor and it will play wow like a dream, but you could spend less money a processor that will play wow just as good.
    The OP wants to future-proof (at least as much as possible) his/her system. Jesus! Pay attention to the topic.

Deleted

The OP wants to future-proof (at least as much as possible) his/her system. Jesus! Pay attention to the topic.
    In my opinion, a processor that would last for 2 years minimum classifies as future proof. Ive been using a triple core phenom 2.2ghz for 3 years now and its been fine, i could get 4 years out of it if i wanted to but recently my processor broke, so ive decided to get a new system completly. 3-4 years counts as future proof.