Poll: Should I buy an Alienware M11x Laptop for University/Gaming?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Looking to purchase a new laptop

I've been looking to buy a new laptop for a while now, I don't have much time at the moment sadly so I will keep it short. I've been looking at http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/noteb...1x&s=dhs&cs=19 and it looks fairly impressive and I've read good reviews. However what does the gaming community think about this laptop, can anyone share personal experiences with this laptop or better ones? Thanks in advance, and I apologise for the short no depth question.

10+ Year Old Account

Re: Looking to purchase a new laptop

I was told the m11x is bad for WOW since WOW is based of your processor and not your graphics card.
    "I don't agree with you on that, I'm going to have to check Google." -Martin, Role Models.

15+ Year Old Account

How much money do you have to spend? By the way, a little off topic here Alienware is overpriced and the parts are probably not the highest quality since Dell bought them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Aalamar
    How much money do you have to spend? By the way, a little off topic here Alienware is overpriced and the parts are probably not the highest quality since Dell bought them out.
    There isn't a set 'budget' as such, I'm planning to pay for it monthly or something, similar to my iphone plan
    But the cheaper of the Alienware laptops start at 800 which is a good price for me, so yeah about $1000, give or take
    Edit: Would you have a suggestion for a better laptop that I could look at? I wasn't aware the quality of alienware declined .

15+ Year Old Account

Well, im not necessarily saying that, but since Dell bought them I have heard a few bad things about the quality of the parts. Alienware used to be a respected company before they got bought out. By the way what kind of screen size are u lookin for?

Well, im not necessarily saying that, but since Dell bought them I have heard a few bad things about the quality of the parts. Alienware used to be a respected company before they got bought out. By the way what kind of screen size are u lookin for?
    I'm not entirely fussed with the screen size, obviously the bigger the screen the higher it gets in price. And generally the smaller the screen (sometimes) the better performance, so I'm more than satisfied with 11 inches. But yeah I do know what you mean, Alienware was definitely very respected a few years back, but I havnt bought a computer/laptop in a while so I kind of fell out of the loop, and didn't even realise Dell bought them until recently.

The quality of the parts hasn't changed, Dell bought the company but it's still run how it was before. The only major difference since Dell bought them was the introduction of a lot of junk software piled onto your computer, I'm not even sure if they offer the option of a formatted hard drive anymore.

The quality of Alienware is the same as it's always been, it's not like they're putting Powercolor or Galaxy video cards into their desktops like Ibuypower/Cyberpowerpc.

Screen size doesn't matter at all for performance, what matters is the resolution. The benefits of buying with Alienware probably outweigh the cons, you're getting a good, established company warranty, at a decent price. That said, the M11X is a good starting point, but you'd want to be looking at putting a bit more money into it for better hardware.
    Errors using inadequate data are much less than those using no data at all. - Charles Babbage

$1,000 is way too low of a budget for a customized Alienware gaming laptop. Not to mention the fact that the particular ones you are looking for are horrible for gaming due to the fact that they are a more mobile series which means they focus on battery life rather than performance. CPU is way too slow for gaming, WoW especially and you can't even pick a custom graphics card, you have to go with the 325M which is a mid-range graphics card well capable of running WoW at decent settings.

Look at what Acer and Asus have to offer in the sub-$1,000 range on newegg.com. I'm sure you will find something that you like, and it will perform a lot better than the particular Alienware laptop you are considering at the moment, not to mention that it will cost you a lot less.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

I'll quote myself from a thread where somebody asked opinions about this laptop last week.

You will honestly hate playing with this thing. First of all 2GB is way too little RAM for Windows 7, second is the CPU has low clock frequency which is the most important thing for WoW, third is the tiny low resolution screen. The big big negative side is the stamp-sized monitor. Long term gaming on it will be just as enjoyable as masturbating with a cheese shredder. I wouldn't consider anything smaller than 17" laptop for gaming computer if I really had to get laptop for it.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

LOL @ all the people buying Alienware and not knowing its a DELL DUDE.
    Overpriced parts combined with fancy lighted keyboards is all you get. Build a PC for 1/3 of the price that out performs it in EVERY way!!