Thread: @ Cliraaz

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

@ Cliraaz

Just wondering what your current rig is compiled of. Mobo/CPU etc.

Re: @ Cliraaz

It's in his signature:
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1113571

I think he has a Corsair 650TX ;D
    Errors using inadequate data are much less than those using no data at all. - Charles Babbage

I know I said current it has been in his signature for awhile and if hes like me he is constantly upgrading/changing things.....

15+ Year Old Account

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3L motherboard
    Intel Core i5 750 @ 3.8GHz (200 bclk, 19x mult, 1.31v vCore, 1.19v VTT/QPI)
    Xigmatek Dark Knight heatsink
    Arctic Silver 5 TIM
    G.Skill RAM - 4GB @ 1600MHz (200 bclk, 2:8 RAM mult), 9-9-9-24-2T, 1.5v
    XFX Radeon 5770 @ stock
    Corsair 650TX PSU
    Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB data drive (older WD for OS)
    NZXT Apollo Black case
    Hanns-G 24" widescreen LCD @ 1920x1080

I didn't have all of the voltages off of the top of my head, but vCore, VTT/QPI, and RAM voltages are accurate.

[edit: Stable through an hour long test of OCCT-Linpack. Stable for as long as I can let a Prime95 Blend test run without actually needing the computer for something. No random reboots, BSoDs, or application crashes since I hit my final overclock settings.

Temps typically:

Idle - 35*C
    Normal Load (WoW) - 50-55*C
    Stress Test - 70*C

Temps may vary a bit based on ambient. Above is my typical 24*C-ish ambient.]

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz
    Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3L motherboard
    Intel Core i5 750 @ 3.8GHz (200 bclk, 19x mult, 1.31v vCore, 1.19v VTT/QPI)
    Xigmatek Dark Knight heatsink
    Arctic Silver 5 TIM
    G.Skill RAM - 4GB @ 1600MHz (200 bclk, 2:8 RAM mult), 9-9-9-24-2T, 1.5v
    XFX Radeon 5770 @ stock
    Corsair 650TX PSU
    Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB data drive (older WD for OS)
    NZXT Apollo Black case
    Hanns-G 24" widescreen LCD @ 1920x1080

I didn't have all of the voltages off of the top of my head, but vCore, VTT/QPI, and RAM voltages are accurate.

[edit: Stable through an hour long test of OCCT-Linpack. Stable for as long as I can let a Prime95 Blend test run without actually needing the computer for something. No random reboots, BSoDs, or application crashes since I hit my final overclock settings.

Temps typically:

Idle - 35*C
    Normal Load (WoW) - 50-55*C
    Stress Test - 70*C

Temps may vary a bit based on ambient. Above is my typical 24*C-ish ambient.]
    how much did it cost you? $2000?

15+ Year Old Account

$800 shipped, not counting the LCD. That was a separate purchase from before I built the new rig. I think that was another $150. I believe my only carry-over component is my OS drive.

[edit: Checked my NewEgg invoice online. The bulk of the rig (heatsink, RAM, CPU, mobo, PSU, GPU, and case) was $817.58 shipped. The WD Caviar Black was about $100 purchased separately at Best Buy. The LCD (Hanns-G HH241-PB) was $152.98 back in November.

So my current setup in total would be around $1100.]

I currently have an I7 930 seated on a GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD5 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard SATA 3.0, USB 3.0, 3x USB power with Noctua NH-D14 cooling it.

Havent ocd it yet any suggestions with this chip,mobo?

Had to rma the cooler half the fins were smashed and cracked fan : ( should have new one tomorrow the 19th.
    Reason I ask is you have a similar set up I have exp in OC'ing but any advice is appreciated.

15+ Year Old Account

The i7's can take a bit more VTT/QPI voltage than the i5's. The i5's have a maximum VTT/QPI voltage of 1.21v, while the i7's can push up to 1.35v. They also tend to overclock a bit farther on a bit less vCore. A lot of i7's get up around 4.0GHz on around 1.27-1.29v vCore.

Really depends how far you want to push it.

Yeah 4.0 is the target even though I have seen aircooling @ 4.2.
    My main concern is at 4.0 maintaining proper temps will the chip be to stressed assuming I get it running stable through prime95 and intel burn tests. I don't do any heavy video applications where my system would be under massive load anyway mostly mild video/audio and gaming apps. So is 4.0 safe to run or should I keep it more around your speeds?

15+ Year Old Account

I'd suggest OCCT over Prime95 and IBT. OCCT's Linpack test found instability for me that the others didn't. It finds instability faster, too. If your system stays stable under OCCT's Linpack test for 1 hour, you're pretty much good to 12+ hours of Prime95. Considering you're using a good cooler and the i7 typically goes farther on less vCore, you should be able to hit 4.0 without a problem.

The only reason I didn't take my i5 750 up to 4.0GHz is because it required a HUGE jump in vCore to get there (from 1.31v to about 1.36v), which in turn threw a bunch more heat in the mix. While it was still within spec for both voltage and heat, it was just farther than I wanted to take it. Obviously, the "wall" varies from CPU to CPU, but the vast majority of i7's are good to 4.0GHz or more.

Deleted

The new i5 / i7 technology is only worth investing in, if you play really, really high end games right? Quad cores will do fine for games like wow and modern warfare 2?

15+ Year Old Account

The i5 and i7 CPUs are just the newest generation of Intel quad cores. They're a ton more efficient than a Core2Quad, even at lower clock speeds. On top of that, they're not much more expensive than a Core2Quad.

Cilraaz, or anyone with that psu or the 750 model, if possible would you mind posting a OCCT pic graph, with the VCore, volt3 and volt12 over at least 5 min pleaze. Thank you.

15+ Year Old Account

I'm not a good candidate for that. My motherboard apparently has some issue with measuring 12v output in software. My +12v displays fine in BIOS, but under speedfan, OCCT, etc it displays at just over 1v, jumping to about 5v during use. Obviously, if that were accurate, the system wouldn't be operating at all, so I have to assume the +12v reading in the BIOS is correct at a constant 12.4v.

Okie thank you aniway Cilraaz, was just wanting to compare some results to check stability.

what fps do you draw in a 25m raid on ultra settings?

15+ Year Old Account

It depends what all is going on, but standard for me has been 50-60fps during combat in ICC25. Sometimes it will dip a little lower, but I can't say I've seen lower than 40fps in raids.

I've actually recently found my lowest framerate situation. I was on my mid-60's Warrior. While waiting on my wife's character, I flew straight up over Dalaran, staring into the forest. Between Shattrath and the trees (and the shadows being cast by everything), my system clammed up and dropped to about 35fps. My guess would be that it was due to draw distance and the sheer number of shadows needing rendered.

I use full Ultra graphics, except for shadows, which I put at about half-way up the slider.

with the 1000$ build.
    woooooow thank you this makes me happy looking forward to actually experiencing the game again.

15+ Year Old Account

I'm way too lazy to look it up right now (plus I'm at work, lol), but I got something like a 50-80% framerate boost, depending on scenario, from the overclock of the i5. If memory serves, on full Ultra (shadows included), I had around 24fps at stock speeds in Dalaran. With the overclock, it jumped up to 44fps. Lowering shadows then gave a bigger boost.

I actively encourage anyone who is the least bit technically savvy to at least research overclocking these newer chips (Phenom II, i5, i7). They're easy to overclock and they have a TON of potential that goes to waste at stock speeds.

Oh, and my framerates that I listed here and in the previous post are with a fairly heavy UI. It runs about 40-45MiB (though CPU usage is really what kills performance). I dropped a decent amount of memory/CPU usage when I ditched Recount for Skada, though.

For reference, here's my addon list:

Addon Control Panel
    Advanced Tradeskill Window
    Answering Machine Plus
    AtlasLoot
    AuctionLite
    Auditor2
    AutoBar
    AVR
    AVR-E
    AzCastBar
    Big Brother
    Broker (LDB, plus a bunch of LDB addons)
    BugSack
    ButtonFacade
    DBM
    Docking Station
    Elitist Group
    EquipCompare
    ErrorRedirect2
    Event Alert
    Examiner
    Fizzle
    Fluid Frames
    GearScore Lite (oh noes!)
    Grid (with GridManaBars)
    Grim Reaper
    Healbot
    IceHUD
    Improved Merchant
    InFlight
    Mapster
    Miks Scrolling Battle Text
    NPCScan
    NPCScan Overlay
    OmniCC
    Outfitter
    PingDir
    Portfolio
    Prat
    RatingBuster
    Satrina Buff Frame
    Skada
    SLDataText
    SmartBuff
    SmartMount
    SpartanUI
    Speedy Gonzales
    Talented
    TBag
    TipTac
    TomQuest2
    TomTom
    TweakWoW
    VendorBait
    WIM
    XLoot

Then I have an addon here or there depending on character. Man, that seems like a lot when you type it out... and I'm sure I'm duplicating function somewhere in there.

good to know!
    was there a specific guide or site you followed to overclock it?

I've never overclocked but I'm technically inclined enough to be building the pc at least