Thread: Windows 7

15+ Year Old Account

Windows 7

I'm curious to know if anyone has gotten Windows 7 and how well it works with WoW. I remember reading/hearing a lot of complaining about Vista and it not working very well with WoW and just general bitching about it. My dad wants to upgrade my computer to Windows 7 once he gets the money. I want to keep my windows XP :'( but as he as said that eventually it'll not be updated and whatnot. So any comments/concerns about Windows 7 that y'all have seen?

Re: Windows 7

Windows 7 is Microsoft's redemption when it comes to operating systems if you ask me, they really did a good job learning from their mistakes. I'd say of course go for Win7, just make sure you have enough RAM (2GB min, 4GB if you play WoW or other games). And get the 64-bit version, cos the 32-bit version can utilize maximum 3.5GB of RAM or something like that.

As about to any comments, well it's a well rounded system overall. Nice UI, easy control panel and hardware settings, Windows Media Player 12 is actually good if you get the right codecs, although everybody uses VLC + MP Classic Home cinema already. It has DirectX 11, so you can get the most of any potential GPU upgrade.
    I like the new window assortment mechanic, drag a window to the top it is maximized, drag it to a side it is restored to take 50% of the monitor, becomes really helpful when you're doing a lot of productivity work on Word/Excel while having couple of browser/folder windows opened. Most importantly, it is a very stable OS, so far I've had like 2-3 BSODs (Blue screens of death), which were all my fault, been using this install of Win7 Ultimate without any restore/reformat since release, which is longer than most of the OSes I used before.

I literally just installed win 7 professional x64 (courtesy of msdnaa) and wow is running like a charm. Better than it was on the vista ultimate x86 that 7 replaced. So much less bloat I can actually run on ultra settings again which is nice (high on vista and still a little choppy).

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

If you have old computer, stick with WinXP until you do hardware upgrades. If you have new* computer, switching to Win7 is the winner's choice.

Vista was bad for gaming performance, but Win7 has been proven to be at least as fast as WinXP in any games using new hardware.

*new enough computer is not exact science, but as a rule of thumb you can use this: if you spent a total of more than $300 in past year for CPU/GPU/motherboard shopping for new and unused parts and you have at least 2GB of RAM (preferably 4), you should be running Win7. Also there's no need for 32bit version for home users, stay away from it.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted

Im awaiting for my new pc to arrive with windows 7 on, so im glad somebody made this post so i didnt have to First time ill be using it, and from what i hear windows 7 is really good for working on the power your system can provide. Can anybody tell me, in terms of UI, is windows 7 much different from windows vista?

Quote Originally Posted by Warchief94
    Can anybody tell me, in terms of UI, is windows 7 much different from windows vista?
    The same really. Win7 has new shortcuts and few neat tricks added, and whole lot polish.
    It's internally Windows 6.1 if you check Microsoft's version numbering, while Vista is 6.0 which tells a lot. Kinda like Win98SE was the final and fixed version of what Win98 should've been when it shipped.

Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.