Play WoW, Learn to save the real world, according to researcher.

So I was just searching around the internet and found this fascinating video.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010...ave-the-world/

"Jane McGonigal thinks that gaming can save the world. We currently spend three billion hours a week playing online games. McGonigal says we need to raise that total to twenty-one billion hours a week by the next decade, if we want to address the world’s problems. Counter-intuitive, yes. I thought there were only 168 hours in a week…"

I think she brings up a lot of valid points, especially the fact of how the reason so many retreat to online worlds like WoW, is because the real world has so little positive feedback.

Re: Play WoW, Learn to save the real world, according to researcher.

I think she brings up a lot of valid points, especially the fact of how the reason so many retreat to online worlds like WoW, is because the real world has so little positive feedback.
    Haha! I get what you're saying, but WoW is the last place a person should go if they're craving positive feedback!

Deleted

I would urge you to see the video, Throlyn. Jane has a very valid point. You may not realise it, but you get CONSTANT positive confirmation when you play WoW. You get instant rewards for doing what you need to do. Do a quest, get a reward. This is probably why video games are so popular, because they affirm the player instantly.

Imagine if you had achievements at work:

- Got in on time
    - Made coffee
    - Revered with Boss
    - Flawless report submitted
    - Helped restock the supply depot

Imagine the motivation you would have just for that. "Congratulations, you have earned a new level: Assistant manager". Don't tell me that wouldn't make your job a little bit more interesting.

True, I suppose you have a point. The first thing I thought of though, honestly, when I read that statement was just how the community in general acts towards one another.

Also, keep in mind, if such a system of RL "achievements" and such were added, that would, in turn, bring about a whole new set of problems.

I remember reading an interview with her over a year ago, was quite interesting, although I still believe that the idea (to play 7x as much) itself is somewhat awkward.

Also, this:

"Rend (Rank 1) and Rend (Rank 2) had their damage slightly increased."

10+ Year Old Account
    A cornfield by a raceway with a tornado flying through (Indiana)

Well, I raised my eyebrow from time to time at some things, but the benefits of positive feedback and being rewarded for completing a "job" can't really be denied. There's a lot of...well, shit, lots people have to put up with every day, and can go a long time without anything to look forward to. As someone who worked retail for several years, I would rather say, wipe repeatedly on Lich King or Absolute Virtue for hours than face a store full of customers the day after Thanksgiving. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that either. :P There's also the benefit of "meeting" people you probably never would, and some real-life restrictions not applying to in-game scenarios.

There's quite a few things that can't be properly replaced in a game though...
    Light or darkness...which are you blinded by?

Quote Originally Posted by Kenai
    There's quite a few things that can't be properly replaced in a game though...
    Obviously, and she even said she doesn't want people to be stuck in virtual world, and that having all this motivation to help online worlds but not the real world, was a bad thing.

She just brought in the idea of, essentially, having MMO's who have positive effects on the world, and lasting positive world changing lessons for its players.

10+ Year Old Account
    A cornfield by a raceway with a tornado flying through (Indiana)

Quote Originally Posted by Blasfomy
    Obviously, and she even said she doesn't want people to be stuck in virtual world, and that having all this motivation to help online worlds but not the real world, was a bad thing.

She just brought in the idea of, essentially, having MMO's who have positive effects on the world, and lasting positive world changing lessons for its players.
    Yea, I'd rather have this mentality than the "all WoW players are shut-ins" one.
    Light or darkness...which are you blinded by?