Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...

Re: AVR - Best thing ever or unbelievably retarded?

I personally love AVR. Sure it makes allot of things easier in such way that its close to the line where it hits retard-ism.

We would have gotten where we are now on progress (11/12 HM 10 and 25 man) without AVR but AVR makes it just a bit more relaxing especially as a tank (which I am).It also makes the chance that you bring someone new to the fight and fucks it up a bit less.

I guess everyone hates wiping on bosses you have on farm just because 2-3 important guys are away this raid just as much as I do. This mod makes the chance that those new guys fail just a bit less. which results in me having more fun in the raids.

But this might be just me.

I'm curious, I haven't seen it done before personally but now does Blizzard ban mods? I've seen the blue post saying they will discuss banning it, but how does that work exactly? Will people have a certain amount of time to uninstall it? Or will Blizzard have to hotfix it and literally make AVR and AVR type mods impossible to work in game?

I would guess the latter but seems like a bit of work to disable one mod when they have so much more on their plate. First option seems a bit jank because lets say joe bob casual logs in in august and gets a small ban for it "wtf mang?!?"

Either way, I see either as a pita for Blizz.

Or not, I could be wrong.

People said the same thing about decurse. People said the same thing about healbot. People said the same thing about DBM. People said the same thing about DXE. Now people are saying the same thing about AVRe.

Bottom line, it's an add-on that helps you down bosses. Who cares whether or not someone does or does not use it. It's pretty much a guarantee that most top guilds and especially those that want to do hardmodes are using it. Because it helps.

But lets face some simple facts. Blizzard changes with the times. Boss fights today are incredibly more complex than they were back in vanilla, and in BC. And add-ons have pushed Blizzard into more complex fights. Thus, if we didn't have add-ons, then we'd still be fighting bosses with mechanics that are vanilla, not very complex.

But also add, that QQer's would still be QQing about boss fights being too easy. That hardcore guilds are downing bosses too fast, etc...

It doesn't matter. If you choose not to use it, basically all you're really saying and epeening about is that 'I am better than you,', so what. WoW is a game, congratulations on your pve accomplishment. And if you choose to use it, so what. What you do in this game, has no bearing on what I do in this game.

What would be interesting is if Blizzard would come out with some crazy achievement, call it godmode with the title god or goddess. Basically beating the game, say all of ICC hardmodes without using any add-on. Just the WoWui, no decurses, no dbm, no avr, no recount, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Cjros
    I remember once, during Mother in BT, we had a hunter app. Well, as it is, first attraction set included him and he didn't know where to go. We were baffled how this hunter doing amazing damage... died to it everytime. Finally he pipes up "since no one else is using the mother mod to tell me where to go, I keep dying." Our raid leader promptly replied with: I decided to ban the mod from my raid because it makes you retarded and dependant on a mod. To which the hunter replied "but it makes it so easy," to which we pretty much said "you're a retard." and booted him.

Long story short: if you -need- a mod to tell you where to stand, you're doing it wrong and probably don't deserve any of your kills.
    Man, I wouldve killed to have that mod in my old guild. We didnt have much problem with Mother even though we were about 3 months behind the curve but there were so many arguments over who was going the wrong way and who was following who as the (oceanic) latancey always showed you ahead of the other person. Not sure what this mod does but it would have helped. I just call BS on using mods makes you a retard. Unless you're in one of the top guilds in the world, and you are not as you wouldn't really have any interest in trying to look awesome, I think you should keep your "Only retards use mods and they don't deserve the kills" speeches to yourself.

To the OP, you should use the mod. If you're wiping because it is the same few idiots holding you back it is just frustrating. Give them the tools to help you succeed. i know how hard it is to find 25 people who are raid aware. stuff may be easier than in BC but there are also a lot more people out there who are inexperienced and can bring the whole raid experience down for you. In the end it is a game and it's there for fun. If you feel bad for using it, why not turn off the +15% buff with the mod running and see what happens then. Im sure the buff that everyone is using is bigger than any mod will ever be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

We require both AVR and AVRE. The truth is that the addon displays information that is either not available through other means or only available in a form that is much more difficult to interpret. If this was not the case it would not be controversial to begin with. It provides advantages to players using it regardless of player skill level. We were 9/12 heroic 25 before AVRE's release and have been 11/12 for weeks at this point, and found it still helps us. The add-on does not violate blizzard's current add-on policies.

10+ Year Old Account

In my honest oppinion, the addon is kind of dumbing down fights... but it is unbelievable how awesome it is XD, you barely have to focus on anything but dpsing/healing/tanking.

I've no issue with AVR. It does nothing a mod like Deadly Boss Mods doesn't do. AVR simply does it in a visual manner instead of with text. Some people learn and understand better when presented with visual representations and will perform much better with visual stimulus of AVR over the text stimulus of DBM.

Cleared 11/12 Hardmodes w/o AVR.
    Cleared 11/12 w/AVR

Really its only mildly useful for seeing how large an effect is and it helps people who are retards, but still that said, some people can't manage with AVR. The fight I found it most useful for were shadow traps on Heroic LK....

I used AVR and DBM and set up my own sound triggers for certain abilties...People could say addons are a crutch and for some they are, but its silly at this point not to use them because blizzard has practically forced us to use them...

Also AVR is nearly worthless on 25 Putricide, because it only definitively shows were one malleable goo is going to land...It doesn't help people who refuse to use their monitor and actually see what is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerik
    I'm curious, I haven't seen it done before personally but now does Blizzard ban mods? I've seen the blue post saying they will discuss banning it, but how does that work exactly?
    AVR only came into existence recently by a change Blizzard made to the game. They 'unlocked' the coordinates via a patch. THis happened about 2 months ago, and within a week or two, avr came out.

To ban the mod they would ahve to re-lock this.
    This space for rent.

... and they are doing just that. In patch 3.3.5 avr/avre will no longer function.
    This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard
    This is a notice that we’re making changes in 3.3.5 in attempts to break the ability for the AVR (Augmented Virtual Reality) mod to continue functioning. For those unaware, this mod allows players to draw in the 3D space of the game world, which can then be shared with others who are also using the mod. In some cases this manifests itself through drawing/tagging/defacing the game world, but more popularly is used to give visual guides for dungeon and raid encounters.

We’re making this change for two reasons. The invasive nature of a mod altering and/or interacting with the game world (virtually or directly) is not intended and not something we will allow. World of Warcraft UI addons are never intended to interact with the game world itself. This is mirrored in our stance and restriction of model and texture alterations. The second reason is that it removes too much player reaction and decision-making while facing dungeon and raid encounters. While some other mods also work to this end, we find that AVR and the act of visualizing strategy within the game world simply goes beyond what we’re willing to allow.

The change we’re making in attempts to break the functionality is light in its touch and approach. When blocking any functionality we run the risk of affecting other mods, but we’ve targeted the changes as carefully as possible. If we find that the AVR mod (or any mod attempting to replicate its functions) are usable after 3.3.5 we will take further, more drastic steps.
    http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...02150557&sid=1

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Gallador
    And no, it won't be banned.
    Were you ever wrong. :P
    It's dead come patch 3.3.5 (see blue quote one post up).

I never had anything against this mod or the people who use it. However I did think that it dumb down the fights making it less exciting since it basically told you where to go and it baffles me that people actually thought Blizzard was going to allow for further continuation of this addon. People try to say its like DBM well apparently Blizzard disagrees and soon it won't be usable. To me the mod is borderline cheating. But I never gave crap to anyone who used the addon by all means do what you want. I just personally prefer a more exciting boss encounter which to me AVR limits. But again that's just my personal impressions based on what I've seen with this addon.

AVR/AVRE are good tools, but not really necesarry.

For some strange reason I felt Blizzard would not allow it, and somehow I think these should not be allowed.
    Game was easy before too, its not these tools that count.

An addon like AVE, like it or leave it, kinda makes your brain obsolete and removes the "thrill of victory" when you do finally accomplish a boss kill.

Honestly, I think Blizzard's call to remove AVR is probably a good idea. Even if you are wholly capable of making decisions and playing without it, a visual indication of certain things you wouldn't normally see is probably going to help anyone no matter what.

It certainly can be frustrating in your Average 8-10/12 HM ICC clear guilds when a few of your members can't seem to grasp certain concepts here and there to have something like this to help, but I don't really feel its necessary.

I believe that in the case of an over-tuned silly fight like LK Heroic that mods like this are quite appropriate and definitely fair, but as far as other content goes I don't think the difficultly level is so absurd to allow mods that, basically draw your path for you. Blizzard, in my opinion needs to take a step themselves in addition to removing a mod like this, and not ramp the endboss heroic difficulty up as much to the point of having to deal with game mechanics that just aren't fun to deal with at all. (EX: Anub'arak HM)

I didn't even know about this addon before... Strange

sorry for asking but what is AVR?