Thread: Overheating

Overheating

First off, let me explain that my computer is not a gaming computer, I don't game with the exception of WoW, and I bought my laptop before I did.

I have a dinky little Macbook (omgLAWL MAC GAMUR is old and boring, don't bother), but I've noticed this while playing on a HP as well.

My laptop overheats so severely when I play WoW or stream a video that sometimes I think it's going to melt, even if I prop it up. I tried using a laptop fan under it but it didn't seem to help. When it gets hot, I lag, so you can imagine how annoying it is. About 5 minutes in the "whirrrrrrrr" starts and then it starts to get so hot I'm pretty sure I could fry food on it. Besides overheating, I don't have any problems with it.

I've heard there's something you can download/run to regulate temperature? Is there something for the HP as well?

In b4 Macs suck.

Deleted

Re: Overheating

Cilraaz told somebody else with a similar problem to link their core temperatures, so just to save time i think that might be worth doing. Try fitting some more laptop fans in, make sure the room you are in has a good air supply and make sure that there is nothing restricting the air vents of the laptop. Try reducing the amount of hastle your putting onto your system e.g extra programs, also, post the specs, it maybe you have something faulty.

15+ Year Old Account

No "lawl Mac gamer" here. Just "lawl laptop gamer". Laptops get hot while gaming. Shocking, I know.

Download Core Temp. Post your max temps.

Umm, it's going to get hot regardless.

There's nothing you can "Download" to regulate the temperature. Any software temperature regulation only involves manually controlling fan speed and setting it to 100% all the time, or throttling the CPU/GPU in hope of making it less hot.

A laptop is basically locked in, there's nothing you can do from the outside to cool it down. Your best bet is to place it on two DVD cases, then get a fan to get some airflow going to draw some of the heat out from the bottom.

Post your temps, if they aren't crossing the point where it will damage the chip, just play away.

Edit: Just a note, I also have a macbook and played wow on it for a bit while I was away from home computer. It did get hot but I hadn't noticed anything different. The fans will start running at 100% speed but that's what they are there for.

Quote Originally Posted by emitanks
    First off, let me explain that my computer is not a gaming computer, I don't game with the exception of WoW, and I bought my laptop before I did.

I have a dinky little Macbook (omgLAWL MAC GAMUR is old and boring, don't bother), but I've noticed this while playing on a HP as well.

My laptop overheats so severely when I play WoW or stream a video that sometimes I think it's going to melt, even if I prop it up. I tried using a laptop fan under it but it didn't seem to help. When it gets hot, I lag, so you can imagine how annoying it is. About 5 minutes in the "whirrrrrrrr" starts and then it starts to get so hot I'm pretty sure I could fry food on it. Besides overheating, I don't have any problems with it.

I've heard there's something you can download/run to regulate temperature? Is there something for the HP as well?

In b4 Macs suck.
    Download SMCFanControl (on your Mac) and turn up your fans. They're set really low because they're advertised as "quite machines." See if that helps.

Are you running any other applications in the background?

Also, found this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=918655
    Too lazy to read past the OP, but I believe it's relevant to your interests.