Mage or Shaman for pvp?

Hey guys,

My main is a rogue. I am looking to level a caster before Cat comes out. What i am wondering is who will be better for pvp. A shaman or a mage. I know it is what ever toon I want to play. What I am wondering is who is going to be better and why? Any advice would be helpful. Just some pointers before instart the grind.

Thanks whitey

Re: Mage or Shaman for pvp?

It actually highly depends on what kind of pvp you're interested in: arena or, the new interest in cataclysm, BG's (rated).

Both do great damage. In my experience, elementals tend to be tanks in arena and juggle totems quite a bit. Mages (though I have not played one in arena), from what I can tell, seem to be more about control via sheep, slows and novas.

It also depends on your play style. It's always so fun for my ego to just light people up in BG's with CL + LvB on my elemental shaman.
    On the other spectrum, Frost mages are anti melee kiting machines.

Again, just depends on what you want to do with the character and your overall play style.

Quote Originally Posted by Radux
    It actually highly depends on what kind of pvp you're interested in: arena or, the new interest in cataclysm, BG's (rated).

Both do great damage. In my experience, elementals tend to be tanks in arena and juggle totems quite a bit. Mages (though I have not played one in arena), from what I can tell, seem to be more about control via sheep, slows and novas.

It also depends on your play style. It's always so fun for my ego to just light people up in BG's with CL + LvB on my elemental shaman.
    On the other spectrum, Frost mages are anti melee kiting machines.

Again, just depends on what you want to do with the character and your overall play style.
    That is a very good point. My worry is that shamans lack survivablity? Though I have not played a shaman, it is from my experience that they have a tendency to get worked alot by alot of classes. Were as mages don't have many.

15+ Year Old Account
    Who Cares? I like Eduard Khil though.. TROLOLO FOR PRESIDENT!

Mage.
    Infractions this, infractions that.
    There's my sig.

Although mage might sound better, shaman gives you more options. As shaman you can play a healer, a ranged dps and a melee dps. As a mage you only get to play dps. As of the current state of pvp neither lack anything.

Quote Originally Posted by whitey235
    That is a very good point. My worry is that shamans lack survivablity? Though I have not played a shaman, it is from my experience that they have a tendency to get worked alot by alot of classes. Were as mages don't have many.
    I want to preface by stating that I really only play my shaman in BGs. I'm pretty burnt out on arenas.

Saying that, Elemental shamans are pretty squishy against melee that can lock you down. One problem I've had is against other casters, more so than melee. With a pvp trinket, 1100+ resilience and juggling totems, we do ok.

I dunno. It, again, comes down to personal preference.

I will end to say that there is no greater feeling (I'm sure this will apply to mage, as well) when players don't focus me and let me turret; allowing me to just wreck everything in front of me.

Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05
    Although mage might sound better, shaman gives you more options. As shaman you can play a healer, a ranged dps and a melee dps. As a mage you only get to play dps. As of the current state of pvp neither lack anything.
    Can you explain that a little more. For example, when I pvp with my rogue, everytime I see a shaman, I am like he is dead.

Personally, with a mage as my main, I prefer Ele pvp more. Thunderstorm + Earthbind + Stoneclaw give you more control than you would think. Instant Ghostwolf is really handy, Astral Shift is nice too. Plus having decent heals when you need them is pretty cool.

World pvp on a mage is insanely fun though. I've never had problems killing any one toon, and once you get the hand of it 3v1s become a regular thing

Both are GOOD options for PVP(especially in the forms of Elemental and Frost). The fun part is that Elems and Fmages also often play a lot in the same comps(where the Elem shaman is brought for the insane burst, and the mage for control).

If your aim however is BG's, I would go with a Mage. As said by others, Elem shamans are quite easily locked out. They CAN be fun, however a healer is pretty much needed. 1 vs 1 you aren't that powerfull, where a mage can go toe-to-toe with a crapload of classes in 1 vs 1 and heck, even 1 vs 2 if you're good.

Quote Originally Posted by Chomag
    How is this even a question ?!?

The frost mage is the god of pvp while the elemental shaman is more of a joker. A mage is unstoppable if played right while a shaman, even if played good, is easy to shut down and made unable to use any 9k bursts.

Dunno about the fun factor as I never played a shaman but I really don't find them as a threat in pvp on my dk and paladin, nor do I see how a warrior or rogue could lose to an elem shaman.

My advice is to roll mage. As shaman you will make very good friends with the spirit healer at the hands of any melee worth his axe/dagger.
    Feral Druid > Frost Mage.

Hail Thor-show thy might. Let thunder roar and lightning strike!
    Hurl thy hammer into the fray. And let thine enemies know fear this day!
    VICTORY, OR VALHALLA!!!

Thank you guys for all the good information. It will all help when making my decision.

ele shammy is op right now and doesnt look like they will be fixed before cata. Hero insane burst as a crazy wizardcleave and the totems make for much more fun than mage.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Alexstrasza&cn=Romeolock

MAGE
    "Hard work never killed any body, But why take a chance?" - Edgar Bergen.

Quote Originally Posted by Chomag
    Sorry but no. The only thing that can destroy a frost mage in pvp gear and a working brain is a hunter. There is just nothing you can before he nukes your 900 resilience in under 6 seconds.
    aff lock also can eat mages, especially if they manage to juke the counterspell.

well both frost mage and ele sham is extremly boring to play 2 buttons each, (plz no rage here cuz u think ur pr0.. got both mage and sham @ 80 ^^)
    frost is more OP these then ele is.. i found fire mage to be decent fun and enh shammy to be nice for BGs and resto beein fun in arenas :P mages arent fun at all in arenas xD