Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

GearScore and you!

All the posts on how GearScore is evil, bad, horrible, and wrong is kind of making me wonder...

GearScore is a great invention to the PuG world. The people that complain about it are usually the ones who don't get into raids, because they generally are terrible. That doesn't give anyone the right to abuse it, because yes Skill > Gear to a certain extent, although just because you say you are skilled doesn't mean you will meet the requirements for a particular fight or raid. GearScore is exactly like achievements, it gives "raid leaders" an idea of what you have accomplished. I don't think most people say "No" because your GS is low. They say "no" because people know that anyone trying to do ICC with a 4.8k or less GS won't be able to do the minimum DPS required. (If you have or can please enlighten me with your log and WoWArmory.)

The problem is the people complaining honestly. Pugs don't carry people, guilds do. Then comes the question "But how do I get gear if nobody will take me?" EASY; Go join a casual or horrible guild that can still do "some" bosses. If you are "SO" good they will give you gear, because they will know you are the better one in the guild. If you think that is unfair to the guild, you're wrong, do what WE all had to do, take steps. Yes, it may sound bad, but the honest truth is if you want to raid and not get criticized about your GS then keep jumping up the ladder. If you don't want to jump up the ladder then play casual and EXPECT people to deny you to raids. If you choose to stay casual or with friends then pugs can choose to not invite you. Deal with it.

As mentioned, the people that complain are the people that don't get into raids. (Generally because they are bad.) Top end players don't complain about it because if they have an alt they know their guild will have alt runs or "you" will have a guild tag that supports that you are good and have enough skill to keep up and not die to dumb shit.

Basically if you think GearScore is broken or fucked up, you're wrong. It has given us all a chance to finally determine who is ready for a certain raid. Sure it can be abused, people that want 6k+ GS or 12k+ DPS for TOGC10 Insanity runs are idiots, but then again they don't want to chance a wipe and I think they have every right to find players that fit their needs.

Also, I was once a "casual" player, I do belong in the "elitist" category now, but I understand the casual player base. I myself had to guild jump to improve my gear and eventually I made it to the top. if you're going to criticize GearScore you might as well criticize the 'Achievement' system. If you're a good player, you will be known regardless of your GS or achievements.

OH AND GUESS WHAT?!?! Top end raiding guild ONLY check achievements and the players gear (which ties into GearScore), we don't criticize guilds, but when it comes to a pug all hell breaks loose. PuGs have to be stricter in who they bring in, theres going to be 24 other players that have never raided with each other and you aren't in a guild to carry you, the PuG is there to get as far as they can, so bringing in better geared or skilled players is optimal, RIGHT? Right.

If you know you're a good player and you say "SKILL > GEAR" AND THEN turn around and bitch about GearScore, you are a IDIOT and are most likely terrible. That is all.

TL;DR - GearScore is good. GearScore can be abused, but generally isn't and it's the casual player base that is bitching about a very good Addon that can determine whether or not you belong in a certain raid.

Re: GearScore and you!

didn't need another one of these

your threads GS is found wanting

OR you could buy gear your class has no business wearing, get a 6k gs, then put your crap gear back on.

Quote Originally Posted by Toast515
    OR you could buy gear your class has no business wearing, get a 6k gs, then put your crap gear back on.
    OR you could be like one of the baddies I stated above and complain about it. =]

doesn't exist on my server

we just tell anyone who mentions it to f-off
    Mannoroth nodded. "The warrior shows much promise... I would see more of his kind, learn their potential..." WoTA

gee thx Brox...

Quote Originally Posted by sleekit
    doesn't exist on my server

we just tell anyone who mentions it to f-off
    Horde on my server is the same ;D

GS has way too many ways to abuse the system. Like DPS warriors wearing spellpower plate boots from VoA to boost their score, or tanks wearing DPS gear to boost their score, or healers using dps or pvp gear etc...

None of the good players who say skill > gear are complaining about gearscore, we are complaining about people who don't know how to use it.

this thread is unnecassary. anyone with a brain knows that gearscore is only a numerical representation of the quality of a players gear. it doest not tell you if they are a good player. it can be used to a certain extent to justify a player being ready for certain raids within reason (i.e. someone in 3k gearscore trying an icc).

however ive grouped with people well over the 5k gearscore mark who didnt have a fucking clue. such as a nelf druid who didnt know what shadowmeld was and died trying to bug the AN hadronox encounter, for example.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

I like gearscore it clearly helps my pugs on alts like you said 4.9 is not coming to my runs but someone with a 5.9 but has only the plague achivement ill give him a chance..... Then again I get into pugs by my mains name alone
    Me: hey man its an alt but ill heal.... Its bob
    Pug: omg bob bro u wanna come can u turn on hardmodez lootship?
    Me:meybe
    Long story short like the op said don't suck step on people until you are the best and let it speak for its self

Quote Originally Posted by Yourcatdead
    Um when you require 2800 GS for VoA10 it's being abused. On Daggerspine - US I can first and foremost say it's abused. It's only abused really. Now don't make another thread theres already 500092824852
    sorry bro but frost boss requires more than 2.8

you just want 5.5-6kers to carry you

but we won't

that is all the gs argument is about

GS stopped the carrying of people who refuse to put time and effort into the game

no time or effort = no gear = no gs = no gear = no time to put up with the effort of carrying you

Honestly I raid lead a lot of pugs nowadays... mostly VoA 10/25 and ToC 10/25....

I never say in trade "LFM ToC 25 5.5k GS req"....

What I do say is "LFM ToC 25, please be geared for the content"

Now, I do use GS for finding ppl that wsp me and join the raid and only have a 3k GS and are expecting to be carried. No matter ho well you know the fights, a 3k GS person does not have the POTENTIAL to do enough dps for the content.

Now some might say, well that 3k GS person can do more dps than a 5k GS person that will die instantly. This is 100% true.... but unless I find an add-on called Skillscore, There is no way I can tell for sure... so I'd rather take the person with the higher Potential...

Now I do disagree with the OP on how much it is abused... ppl will refuse to take people to ICC10 unless they have 5.4l GS, and those people are retarded...

Way too many people abuse this add-on but if used well it can be a very useful tool for picking out people that are trying to be carried...

And honestly, GS is soo easy to get nowadays anyway. I just got my pally to 80 and within a week, my GS is 4777. I havent had any problems getting into any raids(havent bothered trying ICC yet). I know what my character us geared for and I will be doing ICC10 with our third 10m group this weekend. I should be at least 3800 GS by then and I will be fine with some good healers.

At the end of the day, there is nothing wrong with GS and there is nothing wrong with people using GS (if correctly). The problem is people who spam trade saying "LFM weekly, 6k GS req" and those people are just stupid anyway.

TL,DR: GS isnt bad. the people that use it incorrectly are bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Yourcatdead
    Um when you require 2800 GS for VoA10 it's being abused. On Daggerspine - US I can first and foremost say it's abused. It's only abused really. Now don't make another thread theres already 500092824852
    Sure for Archavon that would be fine. But Toravon (the only reason to even go to VoA this raid tier) 2800 is no where near the DPS/HPS/TPS/Survivability required.

Quote Originally Posted by sethers656

TL,DR: GS isnt bad. the people that use it incorrectly are bad.

While I mostly agree with this statement. I find that GS has a few points that can be improved. If it incorporated points for having a 4 set bonus, that would be dandy. If it changed the way it rates trinkets that would also be dandy (since that 264 pvp trinket ain't go to do jack comapred to a green you could get while leveling).

Also, the fact that the OP says that anyone who dislikes GS is bad grinds my gears. I don't really like GS. I personally don't like tacking numbers onto things, so I don't like GS. That's not to say I can't see why people find it useful and how it can be useful, but I won't personally use it. Does that make me bad? No. Does that mean I have a low GS? No.

Quote Originally Posted by Gramgaido
    Sure for Archavon that would be fine. But Toravon (the only reason to even go to VoA this raid tier) 2800 is no where near the DPS/HPS/TPS/Survivability required.
    He might be talking about wow-heroes gs, my server uses wow-heroes instead of mod.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Even on wow heroes 2800 is like mostly uld gear with a few 232's

10+ Year Old Account

mmhmm mmhm. OK in trade there was a icc25 going (only first 4). I thought OK I'll go on my newly dinged 80 druid. I have only a total of two blues left to get rid of and the rest of my gear is 232+. I thought OK I'll whisper this guy, i did and then I get removed from the group. I asked why? One bloke comes back and says "someone told me your gearscore is low". I was like "wtf?", I told them the other night I pulled 8k on boss fights in icc10 that I did (had a couple of people that could prove this). Anyway after 45 min's of arguing with these guy's getting different people to inv and then kicked multiple times they finally let me stay after kicking a icc10 geared warlock who stacked int/mp5 and stam? =S.

End result i ended up pulling 7-8k boss fights and beating most of the people who had icc10/25 gear. So this concludes why gearscore is crap and ruined the game. Ok i realise some people are baddies and don't know how to play their class but this is my forth 80 and I'm getting so annoyed not being able to get my druid into a group because "my gayscore" is too low.

/endrant

PS. This was the second icc25 group i tried getting into last night. No I do not have any ss's to prove this happened. No I'm not a troll.

Also at work so I really didn't proof read this.

Point with GS is that it only checks the item levels of items. Meaning someone with full high-end PVP gear will have a nice GS, but doesn't have the gear needed for raids/pugs. That's were things go wrong, people tend to take an item on ilevel to raise their GS, they won't take an item that's better cos it f*cks their GS.

I do agree that it can be used as an indicator, but the only way to surely know is to actually check someone's gear on armory or with inspect. That way you can see why they have item with a lower ilevel.

Quote Originally Posted by Infernix17
    GearScore is exactly like achievements, it gives "raid leaders" an idea of what you have accomplished. I don't think most people say "No" because your GS is low. They say "no" because people know that anyone trying to do ICC with a 4.8k or less GS won't be able to do the minimum DPS required.
    Pretty sure they still say no because your GS isn't absurdly high. There was some dude earlier on my server LFM for an ICC 10 pug. So I linked him my Kingslayer achievement and asked if my 4.9k gs, 6.5k+ dps rogue could join. I just got a flat out no.

So yeah, pretty sure it's because you don't have a 5.8k+ gs.
    Quote Originally Posted by HopOnPop View Post
    Obviously Garrosh would win, it's like a gorilla vs a human... do you know how strong a gorilla is? He'll snap your dick off and throw it in the tall grass. Garrosh = dick-snapper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    Sure. When I wake up in the middle of the night with a full tank, I just flip back the curtain and let it flow.

Quote Originally Posted by Infernix17
    GearScore is good. GearScore can be abused, but generally isn't and it's the casual player base that is bitching about a very good Addon that can determine whether or not you belong in a certain raid.
    See? That is the normal misconception that makes people use it poorly.

First, let me say I am a Paladin. I got ArPen all over my gear and I even gemmed for it. If all those items are 251~264, I will have a reasonably high GS. I did not, however, know how to gear my toon properly. Will it be enough? It might, but I would be taken over another Paladin that was better geared than myself that had lower ilvl items but still went for Strength, Crit, Haste. This is wrong and simply will not do, especially if I, besides not having good gear at all to my spec, am not a very good player. We all have seen that happening quite a bit.

What about people who use +hit trinkets, having like 300+ hit, just because they would not be chosen to run an ICC 10 pug with a 4.8K GS, but with a useless trinket they get 5K and then they are seen as ready? This is also very wrong.

I have seen many people choosing their gear poorly only because of GS. Another common thing that happens all the time are those Warriors, Paladins, Druids, DKs having a Greatness Card. Those cards are still very good, top 5 trinkets. There is an upgrade from ToC and then two others in ICC. All three trinkets are highly sought after, so we still see a lot of people using a DMC: Greatness. Many people are not happy with 5K GS anymore, they want 5.2K or 5.3K. Sometimes they even get completely retarded and ask for 5.6K. It will be kind of hard to get such GS having an ilvl200 trinket equipped. Do most raid leaders care about that? Very rarely.

Gearscore only measures the ilvl of items. It completely misses out enchants, gems and talents for each spec. It is actually an addon that gets abused by bads because 'elitists' allow it and more often than not, take that value as something completely relevant. It is not like that.

By the way, the very concept of 'elitism' nowadays is very absurd. Hardcore players aim for the best and will not take what an addon displays as the final word. They will not be in PUGs very often because they have to aim high and have others that do the same.

What we have now are players who think of themselves as really good and even accept to be labeled 'elitists', but they are no such thing. They just have a tendency to think that big numbers are what matters and will trust GS more than they should. They would brag about their performance and think they are the real thing when, in fact, they are far from it.

Gearscore is a very mediocre measurement which should be taken with a really great grain of salt in the first place. What makes it utterly bad is the fact that bad players will try to abuse it because players that think of themselves as so great will demand others to show them fake numbers. Regardless, most of both types will die to fires and void zones =]

GS is a stupid,useless, waste of space.

I say that with a straight face, if you wanna bitch heres my armory. http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...n=%C3%9Falthum

I cannot even begin to tell you how many Mages Ive inspected who use Full spirit and stam gems in their gear but they have a 5.4k GS.
    There are so many examples I dont want to list them all. If you want to check if someone knows what the fuck they're doing inspect them, I dont know why this is so hard for people.
    "Your country is like an old maid servant; accustomed to being raped by everyone." - Napoleon