10+ Year Old Account

understanding dps, and what ppl mean

Okay, I've asked this question to multiple guilds I've been in with insuficiant(sp?) answers, so i'm asking here.

when ppl say, 6-8k dps marksman hunter lfg, is that how fast he does damage or is that total damage output?

physically I'm not the fasted person, I'm a combined button pushing/clicker mix. I've only got one level 80http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...athal&cn=Ghrax thats a 4850+gearscored mm hunter, with some early wotlk raid content exp. having a month of no WoW cause of no internet access killed gearing this toon for me.

Running randoms for me, is like pulling teeth(even with guild mates) cause of some elitistfucktard, wanted to votekick me for being a skinner, ruining randoms for me.

does that make me a terribad, to some ppl yeah it does, but their opinions don't mean shit to me.

But ranged dps, for me is getting boring, and for some odd reason, my mindset is melee dps, but I won't go blood elf ret paladin(been there, not ot 80 ofcourse)
    The sims lies, don't trust them....

Deleted

Re: understanding dps, and what ppl mean

when ppl say, 6-8k dps marksman hunter lfg, is that how fast he does damage or is that total damage output?
    it means that the hunter can do 6000-8000 damage per second

imo its a good dps.

if you dont like ranged dps try go with a melee dps (like warrior, rogue, deathknight, feral druid or enhancement shaman).

8k isn't shabby, assuming the hunter in question means without the current damage buff in ICC. Like if it's '8k in ToC25,' then, while not phenomenal, it's more than enough for all normal-mode ICC content.

well, it's the amount of damage you put out per second, obviously. Some people will flex their epeens by saying what they got that one time on a gimmick fight with all cooldowns blown, however, it normally varies upon the fight at hand. there is an obvious difference between DPS as a melee between toravon and sindragosa.

If in doubt, go pull your rotation off against a training dummy (or toravon) for 5 minutes solid, then check recount

It is a poor measure of performance since you will have to ask, where he does that amount, it can be from TOGC25 to Deadmines volley pull, literally it has as much weight as just not saying anything. :P

IMMA CHARGIN' MA' VENGEANCE!

15+ Year Old Account

I hope your not deterred away because of the VoteKick you received. You will get that as any dps (and as a frost tank lol)

Being dps in Random Heroics is bad enough.

22+ min queues for dps, 1 min queue (if that) for heals, and instant Queue for tanks.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhoodexe
    it means that the hunter can do 6000-8000 damage per second

imo its a good dps.

if you dont like ranged dps try go with a melee dps (like warrior, rogue, deathknight, feral druid or enhancement shaman).
    played death knights before, and have enjoyed them, I may actually do a unholy dk, since playing a hunter I got dependant on the damn pet. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Punks
    I hope your not deterred away because of the VoteKick you received. You will get that as any dps (and as a frost tank lol)

Being dps in Random Heroics is bad enough.

22+ min queues for dps, 1 min queue (if that) for heals, and instant Queue for tanks.
    No it actually didn't, but not having net access for a month did though QQ
    The sims lies, don't trust them....

Atleast bind your abilities.