so... what now? fire? FFB? or stick to arcane?

been raiding arcane since god knows when (i started off as FFB when wrath first launched) and have always consistently pulled decent DPS.

been following the basic principles of arcane: stack haste, then crit. stagger cooldowns so when heroism pops, you do not go under GCD and get 0.9s cast time for arcane blast. and this has served me until in ICC.

when it comes to trash i pull out FFB spec to down them faster (FFB spec has higher blizzard damage, while still utilizing the fire AoE spells like flamestrike and living bomb).

i average around 9 to 10k DPS as arcane for single target fights (drops to about 7k when it's a movement fight), but feel that there should be something i can do to do better. made a few mistakes by getting the meteor chaser raiment instead of getting tier chest and not making the crafted items sooner (lack the emblems to get primordials at the moment... sigh...)

so i was wondering if there's anything i can do? melee classes in my guild tend to hit somewhere around 12k and i feel that i should try to approach that level, just not really sure what i am lacking or what i should do. tried fire but if i did not do an entire gear overhaul, i would do shithouse DPS (yea, used the gear i currently wear to raid as fire and i got disappointing results. went back to arcane and i fared better). go to FFB? really go for the gear overhaul and head fire? idk...

so... wat do? any advice?

armory link: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ar&cn=Sairenji

Re: so... what now? fire? FFB? or stick to arcane?

TBH u need to learn how to gem, this aint nothing new and ther eare a lot of guides on how to gem for mages, ur using an arcane spec and ur items have crit???? u should have at this point at least 1100 haste not 854, way to much hit rating for arcane ur alliance so u should have 7-8% hit not 14, all in all change most of ur gear and gem better u only need 2 purple gems for the meta not 4-5 like u have, for yellow sockets use reckless ametrine 12sp/10 haste is better than 20 haste. with ur hit rating maybe u should try fire/ttw tho.

Your soft hitcapped for fire, your missing 4p t10 (like you said), and your gems need optimizing. It sounds like human error to me.

have you considered using addons that track cooldown timers?

go practise your fire spec on a dummy some more.

as for FFB. theres only 1 fight that FFB MAY be plausible (but you should be fire ttw anyways) and thats LK. perhaps you should consider just swapping the FFB spec to a fire ttw spec. tab target LB does uber trash DPS anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxix
    $15/month, I'M 14 I DO WUT I WANT, I WANNA HAVE A BABY, MAH BABY GUNNA LUV ME

Quote Originally Posted by shamblingswarm
    TBH u need to learn how to gem, this aint nothing new and ther eare a lot of guides on how to gem for mages, ur using an arcane spec and ur items have crit???? u should have at this point at least 1100 haste not 854, way to much hit rating for arcane ur alliance so u should have 7-8% hit not 14, all in all change most of ur gear and gem better u only need 2 purple gems for the meta not 4-5 like u have, for yellow sockets use reckless ametrine 12sp/10 haste is better than 20 haste. with ur hit rating maybe u should try fire/ttw tho.
    idk man... when i used ttw fire my mage would not do the same kind of damage my arcane spec would do. too much haste and too little crit i rekon? ??? ???

Quote Originally Posted by Tassir
    Your soft hitcapped for fire, your missing 4p t10 (like you said), and your gems need optimizing. It sounds like human error to me.

have you considered using addons that track cooldown timers?

go practise your fire spec on a dummy some more.

as for FFB. theres only 1 fight that FFB MAY be plausible (but you should be fire ttw anyways) and thats LK. perhaps you should consider just swapping the FFB spec to a fire ttw spec. tab target LB does uber trash DPS anyways.
    that's what i fear... the hit cap. 400+++ hit cap for fire is quite steep (tried to dump away the hit rating on my gear since i am arcane but cant find gear to replace). plus i like to play it safe. cant rely on dranei 1% and them owlbears for the hit bonus no no.

and yea, tab targer LB is awesomesauce. pepper with flamestrike for more win too i suppose?

my mage main is arcaen and sub is ttw/fire spec both specs over 3k gs and personally i can't stand the fire spec. and it not cause i don't know how to work it, i do, i just don't like

Deleted

Fire I've found is scaling a lot better with the ICC buff not to mention knockback effects and crit from living bomb proc'ing hot streak is just huge and crazy as most fights have an add element involved too skyrockets DPS , basically you need to do a lot of work on your gear , I've notice recently my ttw/fire spec has been pulling ahead of arcane and so has pretty much everyone else I know that's a mage and I always lean more towards arcane.

Least to say I have 2 sets of gear and 2 sets for the 2 spec's but I've been rolling fire a lot more as it's just higher stable DPS , I've found arcane to win through on saurfang hc and dreamwalker hc the rest fire seems to be the way to go for me.

Take a look at the armory in my sig I might be in either gear but it's things like that you need to be considering , gems / spec / you're actual ability to hold a rotation , even your current gear with the haste trinket you're still at shit haste for arcane a bit of waking up needs to be done , nobody has a magic button to make you better , you need to become more aware in a raid setting !

Quote Originally Posted by jenocide
    that's what i fear... the hit cap. 400+++ hit cap for fire is quite steep (tried to dump away the hit rating on my gear since i am arcane but cant find gear to replace). plus i like to play it safe. cant rely on dranei 1% and them owlbears for the hit bonus no no.

and yea, tab targer LB is awesomesauce. pepper with flamestrike for more win too i suppose?
    Look. long as your soft hit capped, you can blame others for not hitting the boss. Boomie got roasted? THEN GET A NEW BOOMIE. Dranei shammy die in fire? long as he heros, and you got a dranei tank, your GTG.

don't let bads get in your way to the hit cap. Shame AVR is being taken out of the game.

Fire isint THAT hard to play, just takes practise, and has a higher skill req.

and I totally missed my raid and played red dead redemption instead. AMAZING game

Quote Originally Posted by Tassir
    don't let bads get in your way to the hit cap. Shame AVR is being taken out of the game.
    Is this an oxymoron or ironic humor? I can't tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugz
    Is this an oxymoron or ironic humor? I can't tell.
    its humor in its highest, pompus form.

im good like that.

on topic: if your playing with a bad boomkin, its not really your fault if he goes down. tell him to stop being bad.

The dps you describe is about what I'd expect given your gear and gemming. The 4pc makes a huge difference. You shouldn't be gemming pure haste, nor should you gem purple for a socket bonus under 7sp unless you wouldn't otherwise have 2 to activate your meta.

FFB is a dead spec, don't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by hagar4172
    my mage main is arcaen and sub is ttw/fire spec both specs over 3k gs and personally i can't stand the fire spec. and it not cause i don't know how to work it, i do, i just don't like
    I don't even understand your post, but what I'm getting from it is my gear is terrible, and I like arcane, cause fire is stupid.

You would like fire if you had good gear I bet, causefreightre is worthless till then.

/brofist
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle
    okay, i'm going to try a crazy new theory: i'm going to take my pants off and type this in the nude (shirts are for pussies in the first place). i will also type it slowly and in full capitalized letters so those with impaired vision can see it (though it will not be in caps, since i hold down the shift key HA).

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by hagar4172
    3k gs for fire?? You need atleast 5.5k gs to truely get fire going. Trust me, when you start getting HS every 1-2 secs you'll enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vmp
    3k gs for fire?? You need atleast 5.5k gs to truely get fire going. Trust me, when you start getting HS every 1-2 secs you'll enjoy it.
    I think he's referring to WoW-Heroes' GS.

my firemage has 19% hit. fuck this t10