Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: AVR but not HealBot and Grid ect.?

They killed much of the automation in the vanilla to tbc conversion, but didn't finish totally knocking it out until a bit into TBC. They've actually relented a bit on their addon stance and have allowed some figures back since then. I would have to look over the patch history on several addons to confirm dates but I doubt anyone really cares. Long and the short is, addons having been in a changing state is not new news.

As for the base UI, GC has repeatedly said they would like to improve the existing UI but it isn't a priority. They're not happy with the raid frames; expect to see them improved in Cataclysm. They want it to be closer to grid. Some parts of Grid might go over the line with them but on a whole they like addons.

AVR being disabled is interesting, but not altogether shocking. It does a great deal and much of that ruins the "game world".

Before flaming healbot, grid etc then take a look at that the addons do.
    AVR would draw on the screen in such a way that the positions of things you cannot normally see would appear to be overlaid on the surface of the game world allowing you to trivialise many encounters.
    Raid Frames will show you the health/status of raid members in a customisable way which then allows you make more informed decisions on how to heal or perform some other utility role such as dispelling.
    It did not tell you what to do, only show you what your options are in a form which blizzard have admitted is far superior than their own default frames.

Hence why blizzard themselves have admitted to taking a look at those raid frames for cataclysm, and we can but hope to see some substantial improvements to them.
    Raid frames provide information the default UI is lacking, but should be providing.
    AVR was providing information you should not have had.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

The truth is that HealBot used to do things that Blizzard didn't like, like auto downranking spells and Blizzard stepped up and broke it, which is the same thing they're doing to AVR.

They have done it before and they'll to it again, whenever an addon gets out of control, they'll break it.

Heck, just look at the taint errors whenever any addon tries to call the focus function.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei_Sin
    The truth is that HealBot used to do things that Blizzard didn't like, like auto downranking spells and Blizzard stepped up and broke it, which is the same thing they're doing to AVR.

They have done it before and they'll to it again, whenever an addon gets out of control, they'll break it.

Heck, just look at the taint errors whenever any addon tries to call the focus function.
    The focus issue is something alltogether different.
    It happens whenever you try to right click a custom unitframe to set a focus, which is exactly the same as you do with the blizzard defaults.
    It is not anything an addon is doing differently, instead simply because that is secure code executable by the blizzard default UI only when it should not be, and an issue they have acknowledged just are in no hurry to fix.
    Yes healbot used to get its name from its ability to pick a heal and downrank (when that was more useful) as appropriate, but that was prevented and healbot adjusted accordingly to meet the new restrictions.
    It is still around for that reason.
    This time it is the core of AVR that is being broken, the ability to highlight locations on the 3d world. Unless it becomes a more traditional boss mod, which I cannot see due to it instead requiring another to server that purpose, then it will die out as blizzard make any further changes necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

10+ Year Old Account

Nope not HealBot and Grid just AVR. So SUCK IT.

Be happy they allow you to even use addons.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrea
    As someone who played a healer during TBC, using Healbot, I can say with complete confidence that you don't know what you're talking about.
    What he said

The changes that broke HealBot or any addon/macro from auto healing were made in 2.0, the patch before TBC came out.

Before then, my shaman had a macro that would target the guy with the lowest health and cast Chain Heal or something, could pretty much spam it while we did our weekly clears of MC and BWL and the like. Good times.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainArlong
    Will you just stop? WoW is not hard. Lich King Hardmode is not hard.
    1300/11,000,000ish people have killed it. Literally 1,300 people, but your right its cake.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account

Actually, the patch that broke Healbot and Decursive was pre-BC. Patch 1.12, the Cross-Realm Battleground patch, removed the ability that these addons were using to auto-select spells and rebind clicks on the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Indiglo
    1300/11,000,000ish people have killed it. Literally 1,300 people, but your right its cake.
    to be fair

10,000,000 of those players are chinese farmers

My thoughts about the op, he is either

* someone who never played a healer and doesn't know what he is talking about

or

* someone who is too stupid to configure grid and is always benched because others don't just let the raid die

Quote Originally Posted by khanthal
    I just hope Power Auras doesn't get killed in collateral damage. That's not an OP mod at all but it uses a lot of the same methods to display notifications on your screen.
    Very unlikely. If they break AVR, the most straightforward way would be disabling instance coordinates again (those were added very recently in WLK) or just disable instance coordinates while in combat. That change will coincidentially break also range meters and "defile that way" arrows all boss mods currently do, not just AVRE.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

How can u even drag Grid into this? There is already the Blizzard Raid frames and Grid is the same thing but looks different, how can it not be allowed?

GS has nothing to do with "bring the player not the class". "The player" includes that player's gear and skill. It also in no way prevents anyone from seeing anything. It may prevent someone with terrible gear from getting into a pug, sure, but that's not at all the same thing.

"Bring the player not the class" came about because in BC the classes and specs for all 25 people in your raid were set. There was an optimal group with a wiggle room of maybe one person. For example in hunters you had 2 BM hunters and 1 Surv. What if your friend was a hunter and you already had three in your guild? Too bad. You absolutely can't bring another hunter, your entire raid's DPS would suffer hugely. Similarly if one of your 3 hunters didn't show up that day and you were working on progression content....you didn't raid. The same went for other classes. You had one enhancement shaman. One. Period. No more no less. Etc. Skill and gear were somewhat secondary. If the only Enh sham you had online had bad gear and liked to stand in fire you STILL had to take him...you needed an Enh sham.

You HAD TO HAVE set amounts of set classes in set groups or else there was no point in raiding...you'd just go farm some old content that day. To solve this they took the various raid buffs that classes provided (which was what was causing this lock down) and spread them out to more classes. On top of that they made those buffs raid wide instead of group wide (you previously had set groups for all 5 groups with certain people to grant certain buffs to certain others).

So today you need X tanks, Y healers, and Z dps. You want a mix of classes and specs so you have all of your buffs covered but if you want to run 5 hunters you are perfectly able to. Now when a raid leader picks people they choose mostly on how skilled or geared the player is instead of what class they are. Or, heaven forbid, they can even take people they LIKE over people they dislike since they are no longer stuck in a rigid class layout.
    You gave a smart, example filled answer that was a good counter argument to something that I was opening to discussion that wasn't based on my own opinion on the add-on.

Quote Originally Posted by waddlez
    awww poor you, horrid GS so you can't get into pugs?

get into a guild kid...

If people just spent their time and effort in upping their GS instead of bitching about it, no one would be bitching about GS
    You have no penis.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Napee
    The fact this thread even exists = Facepalm.

WoWs finest at its best.
    Yeah. The OP is pretty damn stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Cjeska
    My thoughts about the op, he is either

* someone who never played a healer and doesn't know what he is talking about

or

* someone who is too stupid to configure grid and is always benched because others don't just let the raid die
    or yall just got trolled for 4 pages. iono.

On the topic of GS, i got a 5.2k GS on my feral druid alt by casually playing him, GS isn't hard, stop complaining.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Darkspear&n=Ronnin

Healbot(in its prime) and grid are in no way as overpowered as avre is. I love avr but I understand where blizz is coming from, allthough I think their changing game graphics excuse is a bunch of bs.

You have obviously never ever been a healer and you're basically comparing elephants with apples,so you might aswell not comment on things you know shit about,thanks. <3

Quote Originally Posted by Chaoslux
    Inb4 Retards use AVR as an excuse to think they can get any addons banned by making an uproar that they personally find it does too much WITHOUT EVEN KNOWING WTF IT DOES.

...Oh wait, im too late
    This.
    I don't hate you. I'm just not necessarily excited about your existence.

Quote Originally Posted by Mixon
    As if Heal Bot and Grid are not trivializing even more of the game than AVR but its new so i guess it will take some time to become main stream enough for ppl to accept it. i mean it makes the game easier sure, as if it not already easy enough but whatever. i just fail to see how HealBot and Grid and other unit frame addons are not removing just "much player reaction and decision-making while facing dungeon and raid encounters"
    Poorly disguised troll, etc. etc.

I just hope Power Auras doesn't get killed in collateral damage. That's not an OP mod at all but it uses a lot of the same methods to display notifications on your screen.
    Power auras is just a buff filter. You could use satrina buff frames to do the same thing just not as pretty.

The only addons that should be needed are a buff/debuff filter and raid frame cust like grid healbot or decursive since the basic raid ui fails so hard at it.

DBM and such just flash huge warnings with stuff you could see happening if you paid attention in game. The only somewhat useful part in dbm is range filter due to encounters where you must be close but not to close.