Visual range meters? since AVR is dieing?

yes yes i know AVR is dieing, big whop.

the only thing i found useful to my self was the graphical range meter specifically around your toon. i was wondering if there was any other addon out there specifically for that purpose that does a visual range circle around you like that. i DO have DBM, it's just a bit odd to be looking off to the side of your dead ahead game play just to see who's in range and need space from and then have to look back and react.

i DO believe the INTENDED use of AVR is a bit on the cheater side of things. i got along perfectly fine without it and have only really been using it for a couple weeks now...

i just find the visual range check around your toon to be a bit more effiecent for range check meters than the DBM one. and the LAST thing i want to be doing is having it in the middle of my screen when alot of people are within the set range and have it blocking half my view...

so, if anyone knows of anything that's similar to that, that would be awesome, that's all i'd like to have. i'm a VERY sharp player, i don't need an of that other fanceh' stuff that AVR does, it was a walk in the park before hand. this would just be kinda nice to have.
    Current rig: Custom
    CPU - i7 980x @ 4.34ghz
    MEM - 12gb DDR3 1866 @ 1876mhz / CL7
    VIDEO - HD5970 @ 950core / 1253memory w/ 10.10+10.10a profiles
    MB - ASUS Rampage III Extreme w/ BIOS 0903

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Visual range meters? since AVR is dieing?

ur a "kingslayer" and u need visual ranged meters to help u out? omgwotlkissocasualitssad.

Quote Originally Posted by gutnbrg
    ur a "kingslayer" and u need visual ranged meters to help u out? omgwotlkissocasualitssad.
    Wut u did thar...i c it!

The problem with AVR are:

"It gave visual queues to make it too easy for stuff"
    "It wrote to the game world virtually" (lol Trigonometry > Blizz)

So, no, what you're asking cant be done. The best are:

- Text-Based Range Checks like DBM.
    - Have a transparent Dungeon Map over your screen that tells you the distances between the dots on the map.

The way they broke AVR: They removed the ability for addons to get the Camera Pitch and Camera Distance. Without that, AVR cant use Trigonometry to win.

Map Coordinates are still avaible to calculate, but you cant virtually write it to the game world nonetheless. It has to be static, on your screen. Kind of like PowerAuras.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaoslux
    The problem with AVR are:

"It gave visual queues to make it too easy for stuff"
    "It wrote to the game world virtually" (lol Trigonometry > Blizz)

So, no, what you're asking cant be done. The best are:

- Text-Based Range Checks like DBM.
    - Have a transparent Dungeon Map over your screen that tells you the distances between the dots on the map.

The way they broke AVR: They removed the ability for addons to get the Camera Pitch and Camera Distance. Without that, AVR cant use Trigonometry to win.

Map Coordinates are still avaible to calculate, but you cant virtually write it to the game world nonetheless. It has to be static, on your screen. Kind of like PowerAuras.
    thankyou, thats all i really needed. like i said, i got along without AVR just fine before hand. i did lich king several times without, it's not hard. it's just having that visual range check specifically at the character like DBM's text based range check is kinda nifty is all. but ohwell no biggy.
    CPU - i7 980x @ 4.34ghz

My eyes and my brain.

15+ Year Old Account

If you got along fine without it then you should be fine still. Is it that hard to use the built-in range check for DBM/Bigwigs/Whatever or to estimate range? No, I didn't think so either.

AVR is better off dead.
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

I give avr 3 weeks before it makes a comeback. I'm fairly sure it'll still be possible.
    Nom Nom Nom [NNF] (2 points) - When you Ferocious Bite a target at or below 25% health, you have a 50/100% chance to instantly refresh the duration of your Rip on the target.

holy crap ok listen...

i asked simply if there was a range meter that would give a visual around your toon instead of having to look off to the side of your screen to read a text based one and then react from there. it's a simple reaction time thing is all... Chaoslux answered it clearly and to exactly the point i was looking for.

all i was saying was the visual range check for your toon LIKE DBM'S TEXT BASED SETUP was kinda nifty is all. so stop with the uneeded comments like:
    Quote Originally Posted by Melonberry
    I give avr 3 weeks before it makes a comeback. I'm fairly sure it'll still be possible.
    and
    Quote Originally Posted by gutnbrg
    it's really not needed. had people fully read and clearly understood what i originally posted, you would see that i clearly stated
    Quote Originally Posted by Skuldarin
    yes yes i know AVR is dieing, big whop.

the only thing i found useful to my self was the graphical range meter specifically around your toon. i was wondering if there was any other addon out there specifically for that purpose that does a visual range circle around you like that. i DO have DBM, it's just a bit odd to be looking off to the side of your dead ahead game play just to see who's in range and need space from and then have to look back and react.

i DO believe the INTENDED use of AVR is a bit on the cheater side of things. i got along perfectly fine without it and have only really been using it for a couple weeks now...

i just find the visual range check around your toon to be a bit more effiecent for range check meters than the DBM one.
    that being said, a simple yes or no would have worked just fine. Choaslux's explaination was awesome aswell and all that was needed.

on that note, seems a range check radar could be made though... like a secondary mini-map square, only it shows paarty member dots with say... a 5, 10, 15 and 20 yard range rep circle like a radar setup OF WHICH would be working based off of map cords between you and other raid members. whicch of course the ingame mini-map already provides the needed parts to this, just need a (like Choaslux stated) static mini window with circles representing specifc ranges and that's all you need. it would basically be a second ingame mini map zommed into a set spot with a range chart instead of actual mapping. easy and simple...
    CPU - i7 980x @ 4.34ghz

writen exactly how the idea is viewed for your enjoyment:

http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...816#post188816
    CPU - i7 980x @ 4.34ghz

Anything with a top-down view and a range circle on that could I believe be possible still.
    Not too different to how questhelper/carbonite draw on the map and other tracking addons like gatherer/gathermate and yet we see no mention of those being broken come 3.3.5.
    AVR and the functionality they are specifcally breaking is related to it effectively being laid on the 3d world, so you can see it around the feet of your character or anywhere else for that matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account

I believe there's an addon that will draw this on the minimap, but I'm not entirely sure.

Deleted

IMO visual range check should be implemented in the game by default, seriously who likes to stare at a list of numbers while raiding... and in yards? wth give it in meters too.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Harthmut
    My eyes and my brain.
    This.

People used AVR?